jaycar speedo corrector

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hi-lex

just to let you all know these DO work, I have used 2 units on the xf falcon I have just finished, I have used 1 for the speedo to convert from toyota 20 pulse sender down to 7 needed for the ford and another using the same sender pulse down to 4 pulse needed for the auto to shift which also allows shift point adjustment, they are avail from jaycar electronics for about $49, I will post up which selectable links are needed later as I left my notes at work, I tested it on a CRO b4 I installed it an pre set it roughly

Do they have anything to convert the signal going to a tach normally triggered from a non-waste spark system on a 6 cylinder motor, to the correct reading for an 8 cylinder motor, with waste spark? (ie 1UZ going into a MKIV Supra)
John

hi-lex said:
just to let you all know these DO work, I have used 2 units on the xf falcon I have just finished, I have used 1 for the speedo to convert from toyota 20 pulse sender down to 7 needed for the ford and another using the same sender pulse down to 4 pulse needed for the auto to shift which also allows shift point adjustment, they are avail from jaycar electronics for about $49, I will post up which selectable links are needed later as I left my notes at work, I tested it on a CRO b4 I installed it an pre set it roughly
Ah yes that would make diff ratio swaps easier to calibrate, the XF has a 10 pulse/rev transducer i found out, but it wont really matter, just keep adjusting till the speedo reads true i guess?

Dean,
Yeah thats the easiest way to do it, if you have a GPS its very easy.

John,
Where does the Supra normally get its input from? So long as its from the coil or from an ignitor the Jaycar unit should be fine. If it normally gets its signal from the ECU then it may be a problem.

The Jaycar unit can convert +-100% of the original signal so if using a 6cyl dash with an 8cyl (with wasted spark) would need a conversion factor of +50%. The unit is configurable for 5v square wave, 12v square wave or analog signal.

The only problem is if the dash used to take its input from the negative terminal of the coil then it may not trigger properly with a 12v square wave as it is looking for the large back EMF spike as the field colapses inside the coil. I have this problem with my tach since putting in the 1UZ, after about 3500RPM the tacho drops to zero, got an unused dash light as a shift light though for WOT shifting. I have used a small circuit with a relay coil to get the dash working. It is triggered from a square wave and ouputs a signal that simulates an ignition coil. It has worked for other engine conversions i have done, but mine just dont wanna work :(

I never thought of using it for the tach, it should work as toyota uses a low output from the igniter to the tach prob 5v, might have to research a bit an report back

Good to know... I've got one in the falcon, but haven't got the driveshaft yet to test it...

Anybody near cairns know somebody other than northern drivelines that can make a custom driveshaft? :p

hi-lex

What link settings did you use for the speedo corrector. Just bought one myself to correct my Lexus IS200 speedo - since fitting the Getrag box it has been out.

That's all right - worked it out myself on the weekend.

For a V160 box - LK1 @ X (DC Volts approx 11v) & LK3 @ X (DC Volts almost 0)
Will be good to compare with yours. I would assume that all Toyota's are very similar.

Works great. Went for drive with my other car and measured a set route distance. Then took the Lexus on the same route. Compared the results and then set the switches at the required %. Then drove the same route again - was only out by 0.1kms after 5.5kms so almost correct. Will drop another 2% and try again. Should be very close to the same.

hi-lex said:
another using the same sender pulse down to 4 pulse needed for the auto to shift which also allows shift point adjustment,
I have a Celsior drivetrain in a Tonner. I have everything wired and working except speed sensor 1. I believe the instrument cluster modifies the signal from spd1 before it is sent to the ECU but don't know exactly how. Is the jaycar unit what I am after and what number of pulses does the ECU require? Would it be possible to use spd2's signal and modify it with this unit then send it to spd1?
I am already using spd2 to run the VDO speedo so it would save some wiring/tracing if I could use this instead.

Thanks for any help.

that will work a treat, celsior output is 20 pulses and you need 4, you can play around with it to adjust your shift points to how you like

grahamd said:
For a V160 box - LK1 @ X (DC Volts approx 11v) & LK3 @ X (DC Volts almost 0)
Got it going today with the same settings on a stock celsior gearbox & falcon dash.. I haven't calabrated it yet, but the adjustment is working.

Now, For the rain to stop...

grahamd said:
You can go from 1% to 199% of the original signal so as far as I can guess that would solve your problem.
Mate... if it's the same kit i used (i'm pretty sure it is) it only adjusted from 50% of the original signal to 200% of it.

ie: if my speedo said i was doing 100kph i could adjust it to read anywhere from 50-200kph.

Since what i was doing had to halve the frequency plus a little bit more, i had to divide the signal by two (i just used logic gates) before it got to the jaycar kit. This then gave me a range of 25-100kph.

I'm not certain about the details... it was a while ago that i did it, so feel free to correct me.

Hopefully it might remind ppl to at least check out whether that is the case, and whether it has enough adjustment for their application, before they buy it.