Info required about stock Auto. (from a mid 90s Crown)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gazzawozza

1. what's it called?
2. with 'direct control' -('switching' the gear selection myself), eg. if 3rd was selected, will it try and start in 3rd?
3. the converter locker, after taking control of it's solenoid, can it be made to operate in all gears?
4. (if both of the above are true) will it bring the engine to a stall? -direct axle to crank connection?

I plan to 'manualise' the auto, well run both modes. I hate the over run that most auto's, locked in a gear produce..
The electronics, it's what I do.. no problem!

i run tiptronic on mine with buttons on steering wheel

but to stop the overun or free reving when goin down gears

you have to put the gear shifter in the desired gear

there is no may to make it work just on electrinics

unless u make a very strong and rigid device that when u press buttons it actually moves the lever on the side of the gbox replicating the gshift positions

when u say manualise it do u mean usin g elcetronics or manualising the valve body

putting converter locker on when goin slow on heavy loads will prob burtn it out

the converter only comes on at cruise and only when pedal is just pressed

when u say go more than 10 or 20 % throttle is releases locker

to get locker to work just send 12v thru a relay by pressign a button

I dont know much about these boxes. So the shifter (on side of box)* enters the box to perform a selection funtion,..ahh,.. as well as have a position switching roll. Its not just a 'lever switch' bolted to the side of the box? Need to look into this
cheers..

*thumbnail attached

to get the gears properly without overun u need both electronic selection and hydraulic selection of the gears

With 'Over-run', I mean, lack of 'engine braking'. I'm trying to get the auto to behave like a manual. Is this possible?? Is there a Tech.sheet, on the A340E about, I have searched the site, but what was there- the links are broken..
Anyone have a electronic copy of the manual??
Thanks Sideshow, how have you arranged your 'tiptronics'?

1. what's it called?
2. with 'direct control' -('switching' the gear selection myself), eg. if 3rd was selected, will it try and start in 3rd?
3. the converter locker, after taking control of it's solenoid, can it be made to operate in all gears?
4. (if both of the above are true) will it bring the engine to a stall? -direct axle to crank connection?

I plan to 'manualise' the auto, well run both modes. I hate the over run that most auto's, locked in a gear produce..
The electronics, it's what I do.. no problem!

1. I don't know. Yes, it probably is the A340 family if that car is RWD.

2.Based on US models, and other transmissions, no. 3rd is direct drive. You have to understand the importance of a transmission. The engine does not make nearly enough power to move the car from a stop. So gear reductions are used. In direct drive, you would acclerate extremely slowly, if at all. The neutral start prevents the car from starting unless you are in park or neutral, which is the same for the valve body.

3. You would have to make your own valve body, or interupt the signal if it is an "E" model, which it probably is. Why do you wan't the converter locked. The torque converter multiplies engine torque at low speeds, something a manual does not do.

4. Yes, when the solenoid sticks, the truck/car will stall.

1. I don't know. Yes, it probably is the A340 family if that car is RWD.

2.Based on US models, and other transmissions, no. 3rd is direct drive. You have to understand the importance of a transmission. The engine does not make nearly enough power to move the car from a stop. So gear reductions are used. In direct drive, you would acclerate extremely slowly, if at all. The neutral start prevents the car from starting unless you are in park or neutral, which is the same for the valve body.

3. You would have to make your own valve body, or interupt the signal if it is an "E" model, which it probably is. Why do you wan't the converter locked. The torque converter multiplies engine torque at low speeds, something a manual does not do.

4. Yes, when the solenoid sticks, the truck/car will stall.
I understand what your saying, Nick M. Poorly posed question. Not that you would wish to do these things, I was trying to illustrate my question; With control of the 'valves' can you lock (have direct connection) from the input shaft to the output shaft, with this type of gearbox (A340E)?
Reason. To make use of the full benifit of Engine braking.. As I am finding out (later in this thread), it can be done using both valve and shifter selection. The TC is the weak link with this plan, as the clutches are designed for light torque loads (hwy cruising, fuel consumption).
Yes the TC will increase availiable torque, only by increasing engine rpm relative to input shaft,- "no direct connection from crake to axle".
Cheers..

Attachments

• water injection hardware.jpg
    water injection hardware.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 25
i would just go manual if yr goin to go to all this trouble

the 1uz does not have a great amount of torque in std form behind an automatic transmission

if u put a manual behind it it feels like u have gained maybe 30 or so hp

if u have the car now running just find the lock up solenoid wire and trigger it

u will soon find out how good the lock up is

but for what u want to use it for not sure if it will last long

your best bet is to goto a reputable transmission shop and ask them

the gbox is similar to many other toyota gboxes so they should know abit about them

if u select 3rd it will take off in 3rd

u need a switch to disconnect power to solenoids in order to get 4th

so if u have switch off and forget you will start in 4th

its not hard to make a switch which will hand control to the auto using std ecu so its full auto

then switching it over to full manual using tiptronic but i need a day to do it and alot of relays hehehe

one day when i have spare time i will do it to my car

but like i said with **** power and an auto they are not something to get excited about i should know i drive one every day and i speak to people who do conversions on them and they say the same

the 1uz is a very smooth nice engine in std form thats bout it

personally i would go manual

i would just go manual if yr goin to go to all this trouble

the 1uz does not have a great amount of torque in std form behind an automatic transmission

if u put a manual behind it it feels like u have gained maybe 30 or so hp

if u have the car now running just find the lock up solenoid wire and trigger it

u will soon find out how good the lock up is

but for what u want to use it for not sure if it will last long

your best bet is to goto a reputable transmission shop and ask them

the gbox is similar to many other toyota gboxes so they should know abit about them

if u select 3rd it will take off in 3rd

u need a switch to disconnect power to solenoids in order to get 4th

so if u have switch off and forget you will start in 4th

its not hard to make a switch which will hand control to the auto using std ecu so its full auto

then switching it over to full manual using tiptronic but i need a day to do it and alot of relays hehehe

one day when i have spare time i will do it to my car

but like i said with **** power and an auto they are not something to get excited about i should know i drive one every day and i speak to people who do conversions on them and they say the same

the 1uz is a very smooth nice engine in std form thats bout it

personally i would go manual
Point taken with the low torque using a 1UZ..

Many manafacturers have had a go at this (manual-auto stuff) over the years, BMW, Ferrari, Renault. And as it's NOT everywhere in the market place,-I can only assume, they all FAILED..

To have an Auto+Manual gearbox, I see two choices;
1/ manually selected 'Auto. (with syncro/doged lockup TC)
2/ auto selected 'Manual'

(1)Auto as manual -relatively easy to control valve gear/selector
-Unable to 'lock up' torque converter (eg. A340E)
(2)Manual as auto -relatively easy to 'actuate' gear selection
-controlling clutch, very very difficult..

If there is a syncro/doged lock-up torque converter out there, option 1/ would be the go..

I can hear the screams, "Use a manual, and get over it!"
Are there any other thoughts on this?

I haven't seen a 4 speed automatic Toyota where you could not shut off the overdrive function with a switch. That will prevent upshift into overdrive. But you will down shift when the speed calls for it. If you simply coast dow, the torque converter will unlock, and for good reason.

You can electrically over ride it, if you build your own brainbox.

I didn't read the post above until my edit. Ford used manual controllable valve bodies for a long time. If you put a C6 in 2, it went in two. It shifts on how the valve body is made.

early 1uzs autos have power to solenoid a for 1st
power tosol a and b for 2nd
power to sol b for 3rd

and no power to any sol for over drive

so when i build the shift units for these boxes i fit a switch to turn the whole unit off this will then make box select overdrive

toget back to 3rd u have to turn unit back on

then this will allow u to select 2nd and 1st too

but if u turn unit off and forget then u start the car and select 3rd
and still have switch off im pretty sure it will start in overdrive

if u know any 1uz with a manual try go for a ride in it

then find an auto one and compare let me know what u think

i had my auto tricked up recently much better but still needs an extra gear

its pisseasy to go manaul

if u dont know by now then wake up and smell the cheese hehehe

most parts are available to buy so its just the expensive price to go manual hehehe

I have been looking at the controlling of the box and have come up with a basic circuit which uses the selector switch to drive the solinoids. you only require a couple of diodes and a switch for overdrive and a switch for TC lockup. Then you just use the shifter to change gears. I have not tested this but it will be my back up if I can't interface the stock crown gearbox ECU to the megasquirt or build my own controller. I also remember seeing a wiring diagram to wire the gearbox for normal auto use and a switch to manual operation.

If you give me your email address I can send you some documents I have on the gearboxs.

Quote: "if u put a manual behind it it feels like u have gained maybe 30 or so hp."

Sideshow, I am in the process of getting the bits together for an auto/1UZ conversion in my 94 Hilux 4x4. I am interested in your comments about the 30 or so HP feel in difference between the manual and auto. I want to do this conversion right and I want to be happy with it when complete and not wish I'd gone manual. There doesn't seem much point in fitting a higher HP motor if I then negate that that HP by chosing the wrong gearbox combination.

It seems that the auto option of using the Lexus tranny, bolted to the V8 and using the A343f (from a 4 Runner) output shaft, so it can mate to the 4 runner transfer is a much cheaper way of getting a 1UZ motor in a Hilux, with the bonus of not having to change gears a thousand times a day. Here in Sydney, the manual bellhousing, flywheel, clutch etc is readily available and would probably involve slightly less labour than the auto option, but for the sake of a few hundred bucks either way, I want to be sure I go down the best path.

I have an old Navara D21, which I put a 3.8 Commodore V6 and auto into and have been very disappointed with the performance. I wished I had gone manual in that convewrsion. Will I be similarly disappointed with the Hilux?
Ric.

i can a controller for under 100 bucks if u want to run it of the inhibitor on the gbox

and for under 150 i can make it all plug into your auto gbox to the soleniods and the inhibitor

all you have to do is wire up a switch

and yr auto gbox will work manually

basically like the aftermarket shiftboxes
but my units are very basic so not much goes wrong with them

if u want to know how an auto 1uz goes in a hilux lety me know we can meet at sss automotive

and ill take u for a drive

i can a controller for under 100 bucks if u want to run it of the inhibitor on the gbox

and for under 150 i can make it all plug into your auto gbox to the soleniods and the inhibitor

all you have to do is wire up a switch

and yr auto gbox will work manually

basically like the aftermarket shiftboxes
but my units are very basic so not much goes wrong with them

if u want to know how an auto 1uz goes in a hilux lety me know we can meet at sss automotive

and ill take u for a drive

Sideshow, that would be great. I'll PM you, but incase you don't get it, my mobile is 0414441400. Thanks, mate.
Ric