If Toyota Twin turboed the 1uz from the factory..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Boostage

What size turbos do you think they would use?

Obviously a factory street car would need a lot of response as turbo lag is not desirable.

BMW
Engine size 4.4L
Just a bit bigger than a 1uz, The TT 4.4L BMW X5 M comes with a pair of Garrett Turbos the model is MGT2260SDL and it looks like this..

Capture-3.jpg

The new M5 TT comes with a slightly larger version, but nonetheless are still really small turbos.

I cant seem to find the actual specs but based on how they look compared to the hand Im guessing they are comparable to GT2259
Capture-4.jpg

NISSAN GT-R
Engine size 3.8L
The GT-R is slighter smaller than a 1uz and comes with a pair of IHI turbos. and according to This article http://www.2009gtr.com/2008/02/r35-gt-r-turbo-get-to-know-your.html

they are equivalent to the HKS 2510 that I highlighted in the pic below.
Capture-5.jpg

The Funny thing is the BMW turbos are smaller than the GT-R ones, even though the BMW has a bigger engine. which is confusing. I would imagine a GT-R doesnt have much if any lag.

I would like to turbocharge a 1uz the way Toyota would do it. with minimal lag, great response, and lots of down low Torque. based on the examples above, what size turbos do you think Toyota would have used if they Turbocharged the 1uz from the factory? At first I thought maybe some gt2860r's but Now I am not sure if they should be even smaller than those. what do you think?

The engine already has plenty of poke off the line, so why not run much larger turbos? I run a GT28RS ("Disco Potato") and it has my 1.8l engine near 350 hp.... two of those would seriously kick ass.

PS. For a massive hit off the line, use the 4.27 gear from the SC300, a LSD and the 5 or 8 speed trans ;)

My trans will be the 350z 6 speed which is similar to the getrag v160 as far as ratios go. and the rear end will be a 3.69 or 3.54 so should rip hard off the line! but since I will be limited to stock cams,stock intake and stock heads. I dont think I want to waste any spool on a combo that wont make power past 6k. thats why I want small turbos that come on early. Im sure your 2L revs way past 6k

actualy, my 1.8 doesn't rev either. Not sure why, you'd think a 20v 4cyl would rev, but with stock cams its done making power around 6k anyway. The 1UZ revs much better. Anyway, my little 4 popper with that turbo is a blast to drive. With more than twice the cubes, the 1UZ would really go.. if you want to do cheap, just get some K03 or K04's.. Heck, you can get chinese knock offs for a couple hundred bucks new... I put on of those on my wifes car (k04) and it works great.

If toyota was doing it the I would guess they would have used their turbos of the time. Something along the lines of the CT12 from the soarer but I would guess would be a bit small so my guess would be something from their CT20 off MR2 etc.

Some of these other choices have much better technology in them. VNT25 would be great. Disco potato good choice. Ive done subaru TD04 which was an awesome alround choice for normal road use.

I think I have decided on t3 Super 60's if not there is a Masterpower t3 turbo. I cant find the model number now but picture a turbo around the size of the t28 that comes on an Sr20det. but with a t3 backhousing. that's basically the size.

I was going for 2 Gt28s as going by the guy at 2bar tuning claiming the 28rs will hit 750bhp not the vnt25 hits 550bhp with 600+ tq

28s are cheap and my gearbox won't take over 600hp plus I think it would be to fast to drive :D

Big difference between the t28 an the gt28rs in both price and performance, I think the 750bhp turbos you are talking about are the gt2860rs (Disco potatoe) And those are not cheap, even used.

Ok, first, need to set some targets, then evacuate constraints, then pick parts. Unless I misunderstood, you ain't running 2bar on stock internals, more like 5-6 PSI, so any big turbo is out. Two little turbos at low boost will give fast spool, and maybe 350hp total? Or do you plan pistons, lower compression, ecu, injectors et. al. To see real power? There's no real half way to this

but you wont have boost by 2k ;)

I'm on peak boost at 3800 on a 1.8l, but boost starts way earlier. Given the much larger engine, theyd give you docile around town manners with a real kick from midrange, but will take cubic dollars to build properly for that. At least 10k minimum I'd think to do it right doing much of rne work yourself. I've got about 6k for one turbo on stock internals designed for boost.

but you wont have boost by 2k ;)

For what I'm going to need psi/bar wise I think it will be ok. I think I'll get a set on cams in there and play with the heads a little.

I will also have a different intake and exhaust manifold to stock as I feel they aren't the best design and would need alot of reshaping :(

If all else fails there is always nitrous :D

Plus I have no idea where to get VNT25 cheap

Last edited:
Ok, first, need to set some targets, then evacuate constraints, then pick parts. Unless I misunderstood, you ain't running 2bar on stock internals, more like 5-6 PSI, so any big turbo is out. Two little turbos at low boost will give fast spool, and maybe 350hp total? Or do you plan pistons, lower compression, ecu, injectors et. al. To see real power? There's no real half way to this

I disagree, I plan on running e85 and head studs, I see no reason why I wouldnt be able to run 14psi or more and over 500hp. I do not plan on lowering the compression at all

Yup 450rwhp is piss easy with a stock engine and will run at that hp reliably no problem.

I run largish GT30 equiv turbos and they spool plenty fast enough. Solid boost before 2500rpm. The engine is no slouch low end even n/a, so the increased inflow from two turbos, even at very low boost, will make a huge difference. My setup is very responsive and a few dyno plots to be found on here will show how early it spools.

For a cracking streetcar x2 GT2510 or 2530 would be awesome. Same for K04.