Ideal cruising revs??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi Gang
New 90 Ls400 owner here, just finished my first tank of fuel and recorded 390mi on 17.1 gals of fuel. The cars rpms at 80mph (130kph), stands at 2000.
The car is compleatly stock and I think that really helps the mpg,s. The one tire that could possible improve mpg are the HP varieties that run 35 to 50 psi of pressure. Big wide tires will surely decrease mileage but they look so good.
I think the v8,s do just fine cruising at 15oo rpms and when you need to go faster, thats what your trans is for. Your engine will last longer at lower rpm usage.
195,ooo m 305,000 to go
PhatGrip

fuel usage

PhatGrip said:
Hi Gang
New 90 Ls400 owner here, just finished my first tank of fuel and recorded 390mi on 17.1 gals of fuel. The cars rpms at 80mph (130kph), stands at 2000.
The car is compleatly stock and I think that really helps the mpg,s. The one tire that could possible improve mpg are the HP varieties that run 35 to 50 psi of pressure. Big wide tires will surely decrease mileage but they look so good.
I think the v8,s do just fine cruising at 15oo rpms and when you need to go faster, thats what your trans is for. Your engine will last longer at lower rpm usage.
195,ooo m 305,000 to go
PhatGrip
I work that out as around 9.3 km /litre or 10.75 L/100k (assuming that a US gallon is about 4 Aussie litres). Not too bad for fairly heavy car (by aussie standards).

I have been told that the best econmy is at the 2/3 point in the maximum torque curve. The efficiency of the torque curve is interesting, you can test this when you are on the highway and you hit a hill in an auto, if you apply some throttle (without it kicking back - and I'm talking my v6 here), the car is labouring at 1800rpm , you pull the gear back to 3rd, the car accelerates for the same throttle (rev's rise to about 2300rpm).

I'm still not keen to cruise the hwy at 2600 rpm in a v8, I'd prefer 2000rpm at 110 - 120kph to reduce wear, when I want to overtake, I kick it back to get in the meat of the torque curve.