I need EFI in my boat.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

doctors orders

Hello to all.
I have a sppedboat with a 1uz with 2 toyota blowers on it. It runs carby 750 double pumper. Im sick of trying to get it right. can anybody tell me if I can use the lexus computer to reinstate the injection as all the sensors are there or should I look for an aftermarket system. I am going to get some custom headers made also so i wont be dumping water in the exhaust. many thanks.
The doctor has a headache

Hey Doctor,

So your 1uz has carb and now you want to convert back to efi? First you need to find out which engine you have. For example, Crown, Soarer or Celsior and the year. If you have all the efi parts, harness and efi. It should be ok.

Have a look at my post in the efi section http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687

Use an aftermarket computer - that way you are not limited when it comes to tuning it. Also there is a lot of extra crap (emmisions ect) that you don't want or need in a boat - especially with all that water around.
I used an Autronic on my lexus powered boat because they are one of the top range systems and they make a specific waterproof model for boats.
Off the top of my head, you need cam position sensor, crank position sensor, fuel rail pressure regulator, injectors (may need bigger ones than the standard factory one for forced induction) throttle body(inc throttle position sensor) coils and distributors off of the original engine.

You will also need efi fuel pump, probably some sort of surge tank built into your fuel tank, efi fuel filter, 2 ignitors to drive the coils

The computer you buy should come with air and water temp sensors.
Thats to run the factory twin distributer setup.
Alternatively, I think Ray removed the factory distributers from that engine so you could run individual coil packs if you wanted to - probaly more expensive though.Dont run waste spark setup on forced induction!!
You can also set up your own cam and crank sensor rather than use the factory ones if they aren't there anymore.

I would look at buying a cheap engine from one of the importers (or a blown one off someone) to get all the sensors if you don't have them anymore, rather than **** around trying to make crank pickups and things up.
Aprox Cost -
Autronic SMC waqterproof version inc. loom and ignitors $2100 (guess)
Fuel pump filter lines ect $400
sensors, fuel injectors, fuel rail, ect. you are missing, or cheap complete motor ($500)??
Pay someone to tune it ???

Doctors orders,

I have just sold my spare engine to Ray. He has taken all the EFI equipment off it and is planing on another carb setup using twin side draft Webbers. He would probably give all the EFI gear to you. Give him a call.

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
quadcam boat said:
Whats Ray up to now? Another boat project I presume......

From what I understand he was building a spare motor for Doctors orders.

Brett

Thanks 4 the reply.
I have some serious problems with the boat. After trails I can only acheive 4500 @48mph.I reckon you need 400hp to spin the prop. I dont have 400 hp. I think the chacheristics of the dizzys are wrong. I have 2 suzuki swift dizzys. I think the advance chacheristics are wrong. I think these dizzys advance too late/early. I have put a 750 double pumper carb on the motor so lack of fuel is no problem. out of the water I can get 7000rpm on the trailer. i am this far away from ripping out the lexus and putting a chev in. Please help this motor wont do the business

The motor will do the business. The dizzys and the carb won't do the business.

The way I see it is you have the Suzuki dizzys (which theoretically are fine) but you have not set the advance to suit your application.

You have a very advanced engine running on old technology. I would expect you to have more success with the standard ECU and sensors than yourcurrent set up.

Don't underestimate the engine. I don't think you are giving it a fair trial.

How would a 350 run on an EFI system without a throttlebody?

Essentially this is what you are doing to the 1 UZ.

Keep the twins. Reinstate the EFI. Blow through setup. It would be a really simple procedure to get it running properly. Cheap too. If you can't get the setup from Ray, another motor will only cost about $1000.00 including ECU.
There are plenty of people on this site with the knowledge to help you set it up.

doctor,doctor,

i too was very convinced to use the autronic system on the 1uz bayliner conversion. but after talking to a guy by the name of steven cox who speacilizes in the autronic and original ecu setups sugested that i sticked to the original due to the reasons your having.
i can give you his contact number when i get back to work tomorrow. he is going to reconfid the factory harness for me and even call in when he down in Tassi next time he down later in the year. I am to sure the motor you have will do the job with ease, hang in there. you always have prop changes you can try later. it just sounds like you need to talk to the right guy.
As they say, keep it simple stupid, thats why am installing factory ecu with custom sealed covers etc. I am also going to make a dry exhaust header system so i dont have any of the water into egine worries.

Paul

Doctor,
even if you replace the motor with a chev, you will still be plauged with carbies and points or distributers with mechanical advance anyway. They stopped putting carbies on cars back in the 80's, and like 80's music they should stay back there. Have a look or search this site, there is a Wolf 3D for sale somewhere and there was some original factory stufffor sale also.
While you are wiring that up, fit some air to water intercoolers between the superchargers and the inlet manifold. PWR barrel coolers would fit in real nice in your setup, or 2 subaru liberty air to water units, which are cheap. I recon that would be an excellent setup.
Hope that inspires you to keep going, good luck,
Andrew

its too hard. chev 010 block,11/1 comp, flat tops, port polish, crank, headers, roller rockers, 750 double pumper. 450 hp plus easy peasy japanese

you will pay for it with the weight penalty.

if you change, check out wasp marine under NZ yellow pages.
they sell good marine engines. they also have done some 1uz conversions.
Paul

The Cure for the Doctor

Doctor. My suggestion is to use Electromotive. The TEC3R is the fuel injection system that incorparates direct ignition. It is easy to use, colour coded wiring, no ignitors to stuff around with and comes with all the required components to install on your engine. Dont be fooled by the people in the know about using waste spark on a blown motor. I have customers using waste spark on 7 sec drag cars. One in fact was a Blown Lexus that has ran a 7.9@165mph at Willowbankin an Altered. That engine made 900 hp on the first dyno pull with more boost to follow after it was installed into the car.