Hydaulic Fan to Thermo Fans

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MaxPower

Ive read a few threads about this conversion and basically says to use a crown setup and dont fit the clutch fan so it is used just as an idler.

Problem is i cant get hold of a crown setup, so i pulled the pump apart in the hope i could run it without oil by removing the internals of it. It looks like it can be done by removing the little movable vanes and the ring around them but iam not sure of the bearings on the front shaft. Would these be sealed or use the oil in the pump for lube??

Also my engine is a '93 front sump so does this make it an LS400?? Even though its got a hydraulic fan?

Here is a copy of a thread I did some time ago, try searching, there is a fair chance whatever problem you come up to someone has already worked a way around it.

You can modify the Hydro pump to just free spin by removing the internal vane.
The pump comes appart quite easily and reseals with the orings perfectly. With the vane removed the shaft remains supported in bearings and endfloat does not change. Then cut off the supply and return pipes with a tube cutter. Then fill the remaining pipe stubs with silicone sealant to seal them.
One of the pipe stubs is removable held in with a bolt and oring, use this access point to fill the unit with oil to keep the bearings lubricated. Works a treat and allows you to use your original serpentine belt with no drag. :mrgreen:

The bearings are sealed however filling with oil as above is just a fail safe.
And yes a 93 LS400 engine would have a hydrolic fan.
Hope that helps.

That fan realy pulls the air through
Have you thought about a switch for those off the lights drags just kill it when you want the power. As when you want the power you will be moving and won't need the fan just rember to switch it back on. From memory it is a yellow black wire ( check that ) cut it extend it into the cab install a toggle switch.

You will not find a better fan for burnouts those things pull more air than any electric fan.

But if you don't have room for it disregard me and go for some slim line electrics.

I think at this stage I will be doing what mycarhasposessedme said as i dont have the hydralic fan for the radiator, i bought just the motor and box, plus I already have some twin thermos installed, so i will try it out this way and see what happens.

400ZED the guy i bought my engine off said exactly the same thing about the airflow of the hydraulic setup, at first i thought the whole thing was a little strange :lol: I will try to keep the pump so i can convert it back if needed.

it sounds like you are doing a conversion into something else the hydralic fan is big and not the easiest to fit . also if you have the thermos i am sure they will work like a charm i have heard (read ) a lot of people ditching this fan just thought i would sujest a switch.
i am running the hydro fan find it a bit loud to be truthfull as i am told the stock ecu pulses it and my wolf runs it flat out. but it does wrk and might even give a bit of thrust. LOL dam it pushes some air don't park on leaves.

haha, yeah i get that leaf problem with the thermos! Iam putting the 1UZ into my VL Calais, has Ford AU thermos at the moment which are two 12 inch fans in a shroud and they seem to work well with the Holden V8, see how they go with the 1UZ.

I'm looking at modifying the hydraulic fan motor to run my alternator.

I cannot leave the alternator in it usual spot (the steering box gets that spot) and are looking at leaving the air condiitoning compressor in it's standard location (I currently have my alternator there) as I may use it to cool an intercooler. I don't have air in the car as it doesn't have any doors, so I have real air conditioning.

I plan on remote mounting the alternator with the pump linked to it by a short 6 rib belt. This could all be mounted under the floor where I have heaps of room.

Has anyone an opinion as to whether the pump/motor could drive the alternator?

It sounds a little strange but the whole car is a little strange.

you do like doing things differently.
I think it could work i am only basing this on a hunch but it is a big fan that must take some power i think i would underdrive the altenator. i will try and find out the RPM of the fan that would help working out gearing. soon when it is running this week hopefully

mx-83v8 said:
I am running the ford EL fans on my 1uz and they work really well kepp the engine no worries at all

Yep, running EF fans in my '83 also...Bloody good fit for the Cress's radiator and they pull a good deal of air. (Haven't deleted the hydraulic pump - it just circulates fluid through a spare reservoir).

400ZED,

I don't mind excrsizing my brain and looking outside the square.

The concept of the intercooler is sound and driving the alternator of the fan motor should work. Because my vehicle has a (standard) wiring loom that has about 50 wires in it I don't have huge demand for power. The EL fans would consume the most power followed by the engine management.

Of a night the lighting could be a problem as there is about 500watts hanging off the front bumper!

Look forward to hearing the fan speed, if it was fast enough I could direct drive it. I would expect it to run at around 1,000 revs per minute which would be too slow.