How to replace Tappets!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Clown Boy

I have heard it is a big job but I have a friend who will help. He owns\runs a diesel truck work shop so is very familiar with working on diesel engines and is confident he can help me out. So I know what I am talking about - can someone give me an idea on what is involved with replacing the tappets on a V8 engine?

You shouldn't need to replace the "tappets" which the 1UZ doesn't really have.

You could have to replace the followers/buckets due to wear but this would very rare.

Usually the shims need replacing, which is the equivalent of setting the valve clearance on a pushrod engine.

To get the buckets out you need to remove the camshafts.

To do that you need to release the cam belt remove the distributors then remove the cams.

Getting it all apart is quite easy but you need to start with the engine on TDC so you can it all back together.

Reassembly will require clear instructions as it is easy to get it wrong.

Make sure your mate is comfortable witht he procedure before diving in.

You are more likely to find it just needs the clearances set correctly by replacing the shims or swapping them around.

There's a tutorial around here someplace on how to do it.

Sorry, I must have sounded like an idiot. I did mean shims - I was looking through the tutorials but there wasn't one on replacing tappets or shims. Maybe it is part of a larger job tutorial?

technically by the definition of a tappet they are still tappets. its just not really a term used too commenly by japanese motor people

Clownboy,

That's it.

If you are careful you may be able to reduce the number of shims you need by using the thiker shims (that are too thin for their current location) elsewhere in the valvetrain.

If you have a look on Planet Soarer there is a good tutorial that is easier reading than the workshop manual.

thanks.

The shims are pretty cheap though right?

I thought I recalled the guy I bought the engine from saying $5 or so when exchanging the old ones.

Is that way cheap? Suggesting my memory is off.

32 x $5.00 adds up.

You won't need cam cover gaskets as they can be safely reused.

Yeah, in reading the article from the other website you mentioned I realised how many there are. However if I follow his plan I may only need to replace a few. Unless there is a reason for replacing all of them?

No need to change them all. It took me a morning to do mine and I needed to buy 5 new shims after doing a bit of a swap around. Pen and paper is a must along with the right tools.

Thanks. To be honest, I was a bit daunted as the guy I bought the engine off talked about it being this big huge job. That is why I have put it off for 12 months. It has raised my confidence that Simon and I can do it - I was concerned since he is a diesel mechanic running his own truck workshop and has only ever tinkered with petrol engines. What can I expect after this? Apart from getting rid of the noise? I found the shims needed replacing when I first drove the conversion so I do not know if my fuel economy or power may be positively affected?

it will just get rid of the ticking noise, I don't think you will notice anything else.