How Good is Your Tuner?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Rod, IIRC the fuel pressure should be 42-45 psi @ idle, and with the manifold reference line pulled off the FPR. When you put the reference line back on, it'll drop to 35 or so.

Any chance of running an external MAP sensor with your ECU? I'm not a big fan of internal MAP sensors for just the reasons mentioned.

The ECU has an internal sensor and no provision for an external one. Pity.

Each day brings us another step closer to chasing out all the bugs.

We'll get there.

The car is now home and showing 225hp on the dyno.

We've made no adjustments for tyre size or gearing so the figures are simply fo our use in back to back testing.

We've doubled the first pull we made so things aren't all bad.

We haven't done a power run past 4,500rpm as we were alittle concerned about fuel.

The MAP on the dyno showed we were running 247kpa or 35.82psi! There were a few stunned people in the dyno room when that number popped up. Quite afew disbelivers that the engine was holding together.

I guess we know David's ARP studs can hack it now!

Fuel load is around 60% of what it was pre dyno, so the last tuner was so far out he was in another State.

Various parameters were way off what was needed to make the engine run nicely.

We didn't try playing with the timing as we're concerned that with 35psi a little detonation may see one of the heads in orbit.

One good thing during all the thrashing we gave it the engine never showed inlet temps over 60degreesC which is a testimony to the intercooler.

Coolant temps never rose above 95degreesC and oil temps stayed under 100degreesC. Oil pressure was the same at the end as the beginning.

We blew a few intercooler pipes off due to the boost!

The car doesn't drive like it has around 300fwhp as it is responsive and quick.

I'm happy at this point and will look at more dyno time in a few months.

The only thing I would like to change right now is for it to idle at 1,000rpm rather than 1,100rpm. Picky but that's it.

Forgot to add. Something I lost.

The blue smake I always had on startup has now gone.

There was so much bore wash the fuel was removing the oil and burning it.

Things are now as good as I've seen in the no smoke department.

Good to hear some results you're happy with mate.

35psi...fark. Thinking about turning that down (new pulley) just a wee bit? ;) With your SC i'd have thought anything past 25psi is probably just a waste? I mean on 25psi, and especially with the FMIC, your setup has got to be good for 400-450rwkw at least?

Like i said, it's great to see some progress but i have to confess i'm lost/confused as to why it's so hard to make this package blow our minds with a great result?

Bolt my turbo setup on and i'll guarantee you 450rwkw@20psi and torque off the line to peel your eyelids off :) It's all just sitting in a box at present :(

Rod, as Justen said, congratulations on getting it home and getting a result you're happy with. But I'm also amazed your setup isn't generating at least twice that power. Are you sure it's not running on only 4 out of 8?

You & I have very similar setups, and you'll recall I hit 498 @ 6900 on the engine dyno with around 18-20 psi boost, but with cam timing that was off, plus other issues. I think if everything is right, our setups should put down at least 500 to the wheels with less than 20 psi.

Just checked my old dyno graph, and @ 4500, it was putting out 395 HP to the dyno.

Great to see progress Rod
Would off expected a bit more then that, but us you said, you havent added in extra timing yet.
Bore wash is not good, is this motor used or new, as bore wash will not help the rings bed in on a new motor.
Did you note what the ft/pound or Nm of torque was?
When does boost come on, an where does it get max boost?
I was seeing around 235kwrw(310hprw)@4500 on a safe tune with 16psi without extra timing.
Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

I agree there should be at least twice the power on the dyno.

This was the first Autronic Nas (the owner of the shop) had worked with and was a steep learing curve for him. I know it seems odd to entrust my engine's future to him whilst he learns but I trust his judgement implicitly. In my whole build he's about the only outsider who hasn't let me down.

He's gone off to do some homework to see where the power can be hiding.

First step will be to go to a larger supercharger pulley to drop boost back to a more sensible figure. Gee I must hold the record for the highest street driven boosted 1UZ on the planet! Not a thought I'm happy with. I think if we dial back boost to (say 25psi) and then dial in some timing it should come alive.

Torque started rising steeply at 1,500rpm and tractive effort peaked 985lb.

As we haven't revved it too hard we figure there's more power above 4,500 to be had but we didn't see the point in grenading the engine to find out.

When driving it it feels like a mega strong stock 1UZ. The power feeds in smootly from a little more than idle. I'm really happy with how drivable it is.

I got it to drift around one corner last night in second without any silly stuff, just bury the boot and away it goes. Given the weight and tyre size on the vehicle I think that's quite impressive.

The bore wash had me real worried yesterday as it wouldn't stop blowing blue smoke on one bank. Once we got the AFR's right it cleared up. The oil in the sump is clean and slippery (the first time on this or the last engine) and has done 50km on the dyno so I'm happy with that.

It was running on all 8 cylinders.

I'm going to look into the stock ignition i'm running and see what options I have with the Autronic. Personally I feel the stock stuff has done well to fire under the loads it's seeing.

Oh the compression ratio is 9.5:1.

Intersetingly all the 8.5:1 Ross piston people who have done the figures have come out above 9.0:1 compression ratio.

That's a good comp ratio Rod so i reckon you have had an unplanned win there :)

At the risk of driving you nuts i have a suggestion. If you're tuner can get the car running half decent and safe at the planned 25psi then set aside a day or 2 and come down to Canberra. My tuner is an Autronic guru and will safely squeeze all those hiding horses out for you. He is also very experienced with E85...which i really think you should be running.

I can help liaise and with the job mostly done by your guy the final gloss shouldn't take more than half a day? Your guy can then look at what changes were made which will help him improve as well?

The one thing about Autronic that can be sen as a downside is they need an experirnced tuner to get the best from them...they are such a complex ECU and control much more than most ECUs so it's important to get the base setup spot on. Once you have the ECU controlling all as required the tune is pretty easy...i only need minor tweaks to mine these days.

Anyways, the offer is there but understand if you've had enough of tuners for a while ;)

I would agree with Justen, about going down to his tuner as he has had lots of time with a 1uz and autronic.

I too had higher actual CR's in my #2 engine than Ross' numbers.

David thought my motor had 8.75:1 pistons in it, Ross thought they were 9:1, but the CR was actually measured to be 9.6:1, so we decided to reduce it with thicker Cometic gaskets

IIRC, David also had a few issues with Ross pistons recently with that VVTi motor that bent a few valves ;)

Hey guys, slow down a bit !

The Autronic ECU displays manifold pressure as an absolute pressure.
Atmospheric pressure in Sydney is around 105kpa so you have around 142 kpa of boost.

You should take up Justen's offer, your tuner needs to be "at home" with the Autronic, there are trim tables that need to be set before you start to play with fuel and spark maps.

Regards
Erol

^^^ LOL Erol appears :) BTW he is also a Autronic guru and i credit him with a large part of my engine making the grreta numbers it did and holding together so long :)

It didn't click that they were reading MAP off the ECU, i just figured it was from a gauge and therefore not absolute...good pick up and makes alot more sense

Ok so 35psi is actually 21 which is what i always thought it was running. I feel better already!

Justen,

Not a bad suggestion.

Nas kept commenting on how capable the ECu was and the tunability of it.

I'd like to build a new fuel system for it (we cobbled together a good system but it''s only temporary) then run it on a dyno with someone who really knows what their doing.

Canberra is only a few hours away so might just be worth a trip down.

Any contact details would be handy.

I'm away for 3 weeks from Wednseday the 23rd so it won't be until August but it's to cold to drive a car without a roof or doors and no heater at this time of year. Particularly through Collector to Canberra.

Meanwhile I'll whittle away at the car and enjoy driving it.