Hilux - 4Runner Hood Scoop?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

trinisouljah

In order to further increase airflow in my engine bay and hopefully decrease the heat buildup from the 1UZ in my hilux, I bought a hood/bonnet from a 4Runner, cut the scoop off, and transplanted it onto my original Hilux hood. (Pics to follow when complete).

What I learned in this process is that the 4Runner scoop is not functional, it is only for looks as it is blanked off behind the grill. Unlike a Subaru or a Nissan Frontier, where the hood scoop cools the top mounted intercooler, this scoop was not intended to cool anything or add any airflow.

I am going to open up the blanking in the back, but I am concerned about driving in the rain and having water flow on top of the engine, potentially damagin electricals, starter, etc. So I am planning to make some kind of duct to channel the air between the engine and firewall to help reduce the radiation of heat into the vehicle.

Does anyone have any experience, ideas, or recommendations for this? Thanks in advance.

What I learned in this process is that the 4Runner scoop is not functional, it is only for looks as it is blanked off behind the grill. Unlike a Subaru or a Nissan Frontier, where the hood scoop cools the top mounted intercooler, this scoop was not intended to cool anything or add any airflow.

Actually, the scoop was functional on the 1996-1999 Turbo diesel intercooled Hilux Surfs (4Runners) in Japan. They have the 3.0 litre diesel engines (1KZ-TE) The intercooler provided approximately 35 more horse power over stock.
There's quite a few that have been imported into the UK.

A rearward facing scoop or vents work well as they increase the airflow through the radiator.

A 1KZ Surf sounds pretty sweet! I thought about putting that engine from a Prado in my Hilux, but decided on the 1UZ instead. I also thought about a rear facing scoop, but did not think it would look good at all.

I think I may use my 4Runner scoop and make a duct to the air filter for a cool/cold air intake. To increase airflow I may install louvers/vents on the side fenders of the engine bay. I already removed the stock front bumper and put a baja style tube bumper that has drastically increased the airflow and reduced the heat.