Project Thread Hilux + 1uz + Harrop SC

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

CHe

Thought I would get my car up here as lots of mods have been happening..
Started life as an ex repco ute from melbs
IMGP1048.jpg

1UZ engine conversion about 3 1/2 years ago...
DSC00883.jpg

then new cams and wolf v500 ECU
IMGP1526.jpg

Tubs and notch cover for the new wheels with 275 wide tires

IMGP1649.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

Last edited:
Also done alot of work on the chassis and suspension getting ready for more power (to get power to the ground, etc)

QA1 coilovers, 4-link, adjustable hieght brackets etc. This took more than 3 months of work!

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043-1.jpg

some pics of the new exhaust while it was up on a hoist getting a wheel alignment. With modifed castle hill header. Very hard to fit!

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

R32 Skyline brake setup and the front suspension setup with new upper control arms. Had to use these adjustable arms because no room for shims the Castle hill headers!

P1050242.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome project; y'all down there in the southern hemisphere never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity.

I forgot to mention the power output. On the dyno I make 180rwkw with the old exhaust, cams and Wolf etc. With the new exhaust you can feel a good amount of power gain in the top end so.. maybe ~190rwkw. The guys from Bullet tell me I should see 300rwkw with 11.5 psi through the supercharger.. exciting stuff!

The dyno will tell all, can't wait!

Nice framework! Props on the skyline conversion too, looks like some serious thought went into this build. Are you planning to take it to the drags or just a fun daily?

Nice work there CHe.
Did you do all the mods & fabrication yourself?
Would love to see more pics & or more info on some of the mods you've done i.e brake upgrade, upper control arms, engine location & sump etc.

Keep up the great work
Cheers Brenton.

Nice work there CHe.
Did you do all the mods & fabrication yourself?
Would love to see more pics & or more info on some of the mods you've done i.e brake upgrade, upper control arms, engine location & sump etc.

Keep up the great work
Cheers Brenton.

Thanks,

All the mod and fab were done myself apart from the welding. Got a mate to do that who's qualified.

Here's a pic of the sump when I made it ages ago to fit the engine quite far back and clear steering

DSC00277-1.jpg

Now some pics of what I did with the cam cover breather and new Plazmaman TB..

Pulled out both breathers, drilled out the restrictor in one and for the one the passenger side (in OZ), used the press fitting on the standard TB and cut off the hole that sits on the bottom of the standard TB. Then welded it over standard place on the cam cover.
(hope that makes sense, check the pics)

P1050694.jpg

P1050695.jpg

P1050693.jpg

Nice work, I like the Plasmaman throttle bodies and will use one on my next project. Are you going to run any kind of idle control?

What diameter is the pulley on your supercharger?

Nice work, I like the Plasmaman throttle bodies and will use one on my next project. Are you going to run any kind of idle control?

What diameter is the pulley on your supercharger?

With the idle control, I got sick of the never ending issues with the standard ISCV. I installed and cable controled dial for idle speed. It's standard in the 4wd models and connects directly to the accelerator pedal. I think it's meant to be used so farmers can get out of the 4wd while it's still moving and remove stuff from the tray (probably hay) over a distance.

As for the diameter of the pulley, it should be the some as your but I will measure..

I have had no problems at all the ISCV and it works great with the idle set as low as 600 rpm. My pulley is 75mm and I mostly get around 10 psi but I have seen it spike to 11 psi at times.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

The standard ISCV works well for my setup also. Can be a little temperamental at times but like anything else, is all a matter of tuning.

On another note, very impressive work. Will be keen to see some more build pics of this and the end result. As Cobber already mentioned, you are going to be very happy with these superchargers and the output of the whole deal. They are definitely fun little rides.

Ok so many hours on the dyno, had/have some issues to fix..

- ECU not setup correct when dynoing ages ago
- Running too hot (need a low temp termostat, maybe)
- not enough fuel on the power runs (need a new Bosch 044) so can't rev any higher till replaced
- New Plazmaman TB not sealing so it's idling at 1800rpm
- wheel spin on the dyno.. Ha, cool

So got 271rwkw at 5600rpm so far.. 738nm of torque

Power should peak at about 6500rpm with the cams...

Will fix the current issues and then back to the dyno we go.. (hoping for an extra 20-30rwkw)

One of the dyno runs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOAmghk3j9U

Also waaay to loud now with the supercharger. Got to 124db at full noise!

It's been a while so here's some updates..

- Replacing the old fuel pump fixed the leaning out issues.
- Plazmaman TB wasn't the issue with idling. Massive leak under the supercharger where my loctite 515 didn't hold. Replaced with new o-ringed plate. Should get even more power now :)
- Gearbox and clutch not up to the job! replacing with r154 and bullet conversion kit with bigger flywheel clutch combo
- Exhaust headers, removed heat wrap (don't want then to rust out over time after all the work done to them) and got them ceramic 'hot-stop' coated

So everything is nearly back in and ready for a spin. Just got to get my tailshaft shortened again due to the 30mm bellhousing spacer...

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

updates

Nearly lost the lot with a fire in the engine bay because of how I had the fuel lines (now changed). Thank god I had a borrowed fire extinguisher (thanks to GT garage)

IMG_0086.jpg

How it looks now after a massive clean up

IMG_0096.jpg

My biggest fear after seeing photo's of a friends big block cobra burn to the ground after only 20km.........

Bummer but you done well to save it.

Glad to hear you were able to put it out before too much damage occured. Would've been quite disheartening to lose it all so soon.

Was it just a leak that started it all?