HG 1uzT -It begins

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
finished manifolds

reworked the right manifold and tidied up the left one. bit of paint to stop them rusting.
clearance is tight but as good as it can be.
the left one is a bit shorter to accommodate the turbo on the left. On the right i could use a bit more room, no point making it harder than it had to be!
pretty happy with how they turned out. obviously not the best looking manifolds but they fit well and will flow better than stock.
Couldnt get the tranny mount done, it took longer than i thought to weld everything.
let me know what you think.

manifold pics

manifolds. butt weld bends and thick wall pipe.

you can see why i had to route the 4th primary where i did, steering shaft (bit of alloy rod for the moment) doesnt leave much room.
you can also see the engine mount and x/member mount.

happiness is a mig welder!

new throttle pedal and update

today i modified the throttle to fit into my ute. basically i used the original pedal mount and welded a new end on it to fit the toyota cable and ferrule. On the pedal end i used the the lexus plasitc pedal and welded it to the original mount.
so in the end i had a lexus pedal on the hg pedal hinge/mount. Full pedal travel, no fouling on anything and the cable routes well thru the engine bay.
i'll post fotos if anyone wants to see them.

I also spoke to Tony Rullo at CAPA today, turbo should be on the way tomorrow. unsure of the exact specs, i will find out tomorrow but i asked for something similar to the one that was stolen.

tomorrow i will look at mounting the fuel cell and pump, and the battery and finally finish the trans mount.

Cooling and trans mount

Finished the tranny mount.
Had to rework it a bit and make it wider. it fits well and fully captures the trans so even if the rubber isolators break it cant go anywhere.
Also bought a radiator for the water/air intercooler. It is out of a Daewoo Matiz of all things and it fits well in front off the standard v8 rad.
A trans cooler will be sandwiched in between the air/water rad and the engine rad.
A 12'' thermo fan keeps the trans oil cooler and the air/water rad cool.
A 16'' thermo will be mounted to pull air thru the radiator.
Will mount it all up and post some fotos, hopefully i will never have cooling problems!
I had a brief look at mounting the fuel cell last week. Turns out that a 75L tank is bloody big and is going to be a bugger to install. It wont fit where i had planned so i will have to mount it at the rear, behind the diff.
I have removed the original (rusting and leaking) and will have to remove and lower the rear section of floor to install the new one.
The floor where the spare used to go will have to be lowered about 100mm. not a huge task but bunnings had run out of steel so i have to wait.
in the fotos you can see where i'll mount it, obviously below the floor.

Radiator install

a before pic of the grill and radiator.
had to remove one of the grill supports (the left side) to fit the thermo fan.
you can see how the Matiz radiator fits well

I'm loving this thread !!

Just sold my 65 Impala with a worked small block and i'm looking at chucking a 1uzfe into some kind of holden ute. HQ or HT/HT/HG.

CRS makes a engine mount kit don't they?? Also belhousing for GM T5 or saginaw/muncie 4sp as i don't think i want auto..

How easy does the auto go in (regarding shifter position) ?

I'm also lucky, welding and fab isn't a problem :D

Oh and another question.. Standard engine with the turbo??
I was thinking Decomp pistons, ECU, injectors, TB, ivan tighe cams, harder valve springs, big pump, and either single turbo or procharger..

Jerry

update

finished mounting the radiators and fans.
trans mount foto.
you can see i had to close some holes around the rad with foam. sticky stuff from clark rubber was 3bucks a metre. works well.
I will have to find some rad hose for the intercooler rad, and reduce the hose down to 5/8 heater hose size.
the tranny oil core is sandwiched between the 2 rads and sits in the flow from the front fan. i will use alloy hardline to connect the core to the original oil lines.

I'm loving this thread !!

Just sold my 65 Impala with a worked small block and i'm looking at chucking a 1uzfe into some kind of holden ute. HQ or HT/HT/HG.

CRS makes a engine mount kit don't they?? Also belhousing for GM T5 or saginaw/muncie 4sp as i don't think i want auto..

How easy does the auto go in (regarding shifter position) ?

I'm also lucky, welding and fab isn't a problem :D

Oh and another question.. Standard engine with the turbo??
I was thinking Decomp pistons, ECU, injectors, TB, ivan tighe cams, harder valve springs, big pump, and either single turbo or procharger..

Jerry

Yep, CRS make a kit, i just dont like paying for stuff i can do myself.
I had to use front rack to clear the crs sump and then make the mounts. its not hard.
I used a rodsracks rack and pinion setup. I sent him a torana rack and he sent it back ready to go.
the trans fits well. as far as the shifter goes... i dont know i'm not using the standard one, i'm using a promatic rachet shifter. you could mod the shifter rod to fit anyway. I have photos of a mates WB ute with the standard shifter used. it fits easy.
The standard engine should be fine for what i have in mind. 15psi will be the limit, i will change the injectors soon. the rest will handle it. if something breaks i will get another engine for about $1000, cheaper than rebuilding a holden six!
i cant wait to drive it, if you want any more info let me know i will do my best. also check out krayn's ht ute. he has done the same thing, with a different flavour and i have been picking his brain for ideas.
cheers

I think your cooling and fan set up may be marginal in Darwin.

A full shroud over the radiator would imrove the cooling in traffic no end.

update

Progress will again be slow, i will be away for work, hopefully nothing will be stolen this time.
I have bought some gauges icl, 5in tacho and 2 shift lights, oil and water temp 2 & 5/8in, pyrometer and air/fuel.
still waiting to get a speedo for the right ebay price.
i have bought some alloy sheet from the local welder and will mount them all up in a custom dash to replace the stock dash. i have completely removed all the dash components and not much will be spared. i think the heater speed control will be the only thing i use, for the mulitspeed control for the intercooler water pump.
waiting on flanges for the exhaust system and turbo and wastegate, it will have to wait till when i get home again.
mounting the fuel cell is turning into a massive job. i have found rust, a little too much to ignore, so i will need to replace some of the floor in the rear of the tray and some of the left rear wheel arch. As good excuse as any to make the arches into mini tubs. i'l widen them by about an inch to touch the chassis rails.
wait out for more.

traffic

I think your cooling and fan set up may be marginal in Darwin.

A full shroud over the radiator would imrove the cooling in traffic no end.

no worries, there is no traffic in darwin!
only four sets of lights from my place to town centre.
and 80km/h pretty much everywhere else.
will see how it goes and change it if i need to

turbo install

Decided to spend one last day on the ute before i go away for a few weeks.
Managed to get the crossover pipe almost complete and mount the turbo. I also included a wastegate pipe in the 2-1 merge just under the turbo flange.
it still all needs final smoothing and paint but you get the idea.
I tried to keep the pipe as short as possible while keeping it all away from things that will melt.
you can see the route down from the right bank, across parrallel the sway bar (almost) and in front of the oil filter. then up to the merge ( a little drunkenly). its a challenge to make it all meet up, especially when i'm just cutting and shutting with no proper bends...
the wastegate should fit under the turbo and the waste then route just near the headers and merge with the exhaust near the firewall.

i drive an HG at the moment with a stove hot straight gas 192 and kitted trimatic.

i can't imagine fitting a 1UZ into anything with a steering box now after my 240C "attempt".

nice work with the driver's side manifold - very good thinking just going under. sometimes, for some people, the logical choice is the last choice.

update

Hi guys, its been a slow few months for progress on the ute.
Only worked on it for a few days all told but made some breakthroughs.
the turbo and wastegate is fully mounted and the intercooler is plumbed to the turbo and intake. the dump pipe is fabbed and the wastegate is plumbed in to the dump too.
oil supply fittings and pressure line are also fitted.
all the joiners are black silicon to keep it looking a bit more stock than some.
the radiator top hose needed a joiner and a reducing fitting.
new oil filter
new air filter too
the water fittings for the turbo and intercooler are next.
the intercooler will have some brackets fabbed on to the endtanks so it can be firmly mounted to the inner guard.
heat shields for all the exhaust pipes will be fabbed too.
oil return from the turbo is also nearly done.
the fuel cell will be modded to remove the male outlets for some female outlets. this will allow better and more reliable mounting for the fuel filter and pump. i wont use a surge tank and use gravity feed in dash 10 fuel hose. the fuel cell is foam filled so no probs.
in the big picture i will need to remove the engine to finish the sump mods like the oil return line and to finish the steering. the fuel cell mounts rely on me welding in some new metal in the rear too, and some rust needs to go.
the water intercooler needs the tank and lines and the pump mounted under the tray.
still waiting on a diff, i plan for a nine inch, 31 spline and a detroit locker.
at least that is the dream! if anyone has one!

i have also got all my autometer gauges, all except a speedo.
i need to know what kind i can use. i have seen some info on using a crown mech drive? will the standard elec drive run an autometer gauge?

the entire fit out will include
5 inch tach
speedo
2 5/8 water and oil
2 5/8 pyrometer
wide band o2
elec fuel gauge
2 1/16 boost
maybe a nos pressure gauge down the track.
all mouted in a custom dash

more pics to follow obviously, and i have a week off so more work all nest week

cheers

pics

Fellas, more work done. i'm pretty much up to stripping back the crap on the engine and blocking the stuff i dont need.
waiting on parts to to finalise the turbo install.
i rigged up the intercooler rad and cooler, all works well.
got a high flow metal cat, needs flanges and install.
got the driveshaft to gearbox adapter made at the engineer. needs a bigger hole drilled for the locator but will work well i think. pics to follow but its basically te same as th one earlier in this thread.
more later
cheers\

update

i am away again with work for a few weeks but some things are still happening.
I am getting my alloy welder guy to make me a tank for the water/air reservoir. It'll be about 18l (pretty big i think) but it will also have a 6 metre coil of 1/2 inch alloy pipe inside to run my fuel through. this way i can fill the tank with ice and cool my fuel and air charge at the same time.
all the fittings are an -10 for the water and an -8 for fuel.
I have also had the fuel rails modded to accept dual entry and blocked the old fuel reg and dampenser holes. i will retain the original 'cross pipe' and banjo fittings connecting the front of each rail, for pressure balance.
the reg is a automotive (i think), adjustable and boost referenced.
Lastly i just bought some 7mgte lime green injectors, so barring installation the fuel system is all but there.
Also downloaded the Adaptronic install and tuning guide. wow. i have one big job ahead of me, i think it might pay to pay someone.
all for now
cheers

Getting close then :)

Lime green injectors are the non turbo 7M.....still an upgrade.

Save you effort with the fuel cooler mate, won't make the slightest difference to power or det resistance...if you are getting vapour issues (unlikely with a EFI pump) then you have much bigger issues to worry about.

Looking good.

From the pics above, how much movement is there between your radiator fan and radiator? It looks like the brackets are a bit long and skinny and could maybe do with a rework. I'm thinking that over time with movement it could rub through.

Muzz