Head Unit Help???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ja3dawg

Hi, I have a 1992 SC400

Does anybody know if there is a thread that is a comprehensive DIY for troubleshooting the stereo system in the SC400? I've read and read the forums but can't find anything comprehensive.

Through this process I've learned to take out my entire interior and the center console and of course I now know how to put it all back together but I'm not much on electrical.

It all started here...

All of a sudden, the head unit in my car stopped working.
I have the Nakamichi sound system.

I read extensively through the forums for troubleshooting and viewed numerous previous posts

My problem began when...one day...

The entire LCD display is lit. That is, anything that can possibly be displayed is!

The radio is not working.
The CD player is not working.
The Cassette player is not working.
None of the functions are working.
I can't even turn the thing on or off. The LCD display stays lit regardless...

I can eject and load the CD cartridge without any problems.

From here….

I pulled both fuses for the radio in the kick panel and under the hood to reset the system.
I reset the cd changer.
I removed the back seat and tried the trick at the link below

http://www.carstereohelp.com/repairDoItYourselfLexusRepairVol.htm

I’m pretty competent at following directions but I’m currently at a loss of what to try next.

Suggestions would be welcome.

anything? anyone?

I don't know how to do diagnostic work with that stereo, i went with an aftermarket head unit, but you might try to find another inexpensive head unit off of ebay (or elsewhere) plug it into your car and see if it works. If so great, if not, just resell on ebay. I sold mine on ebay for $50.
peace

eh there is a shop here that will be able to fix it i need to take it down for a quote... there is also a car audio place in my area that offered to custom fab the center console with the pioneer navi i dunno just driving w/o music isnt fun

Yeah, the factory audio systems can be somewhat problematic. Remember these cars are nearly 14 years old and most of these parts haven't been touch at all since installation at the factory. I had a similar problem where the factory amp just stopped working altogether one day. Everything would work, but no sound would come out. After completely removing the whole system (CD player, head unit, speakers and all) and finding nothing physically wrong with it I reinstalled it all and found that it worked again. I still cant figure out exactly what went wrong, ,but it may have been just a single loose or dirty connector. Your problem kinda sounds like what happens when you disconnect the volume/off/on knob. Possibly there is a problem with it, ,but with so many other things to go wrong its like finding a needle in a haystack. WDoherty's advise to go with an aftermarket amp seems like the best way to resolve many issues unless you plan on keeping everything else stock. A double-din AVIC would fit the bill nicely.