gear shift problems!! please help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sonbum1

I have a 90 LS, I got all crazy the other day and tried to modifiy my gear shifter with the shift knob from a newer model. it came out looking clean, but needs a little more work. I now have a BIG problem. I can't turn the key all the way to off so the key gets stuck in the ignition at ACC. So far the only solution I have found is pop the hood and disconect the battery cable then go pull the key out then reconect the cable. I've tried playing with the shifter to get it in the right position , pushing the shift lock overide button, nothing works. Is there any way to overide this key lock feature? or any way of replaceing the gear shift for a realatively cheap amount.

reply help

dont quote me exact but most cars have a small cable lock to column to prevent key turn off/a locking steering while rolling.check for small cable running from shift to column or lock cyl the shifter is a shift interlock/ car must be in park to remove key so something releases a lever lock/ dont think this is electrical but mechanical prob.

All Lexus use and electronic switch to confirm the trans is in park before it will allow the key to be removed.

Sounds like the microswitch on the shifter wants adjustment.

Zuffen said:
All Lexus use and electronic switch to confirm the trans is in park before it will allow the key to be removed.

Sounds like the microswitch on the shifter wants adjustment.

Thanks! this may be helpfull if I can find that switch,....any ideas were it is located and what it looks like (pics maybe....now I may be asking to much "m sorry)

I found that switch...sort of! Its a plastic slide peice (1) that clips into the plastic slide part of the shift lock mechanism (2). Well the tab that connects the two sliding parts broke, and the ignition lock slide slipped down into lock positon. I was able to slide it back up and it stayed in place (for now anyway)so no problems now.