EMERGENCY! 94 LS400 Won't Shift into Gear, Brake Lights Don't Work

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

lintakoc

I am in a immediate and desperate need of advice and possible problems/solutions. Put my 94 LS400 into park at a parking lot and heard what sounded like a small and quick scratch, but I did not hit anything. When I get back to my car, it will not shift into gear. Everything appears to be fine, no warning lights are on, and I can hold the button to shift into gear down. However, it won't let me shift no matter how hard I push and pull. Brake lights do not come on even though I'm on the brake pedal. Tried having a friend push and shake the car while I tried to shift into gear, but no luck. PLEASE HELP ASAP! What would cause brakes to quit responding, and what could I do to solve this problem. Thanks.

Check the fuse for the brake lights.

If the fuse is OK check the brake light switch.

I suspect the '94 uses the brake lights to tell the relay in the shifter you have your foot on the brake so you can shift out of park. This will be part of the "unintentional accelaration" problems sufered by Audi.

If the brake light switch is dead join the wires together from the switch ( a paperclip will do) this should let you shift gears so you can drive the car to fix it properly.

Thanks, I was able to get it driving by pressing the shift-override button with a screwdriver and shifting it into neutral. Then starting it and shifting it into drive and it operates as usual, however, once I put it back into park, it won't shift out of it again. I'll try checking the brake light switch and fuse later today. Thanks for the quick reply.

I`d go with what Zuffen said, has to be to do with the saftey switch on the shifter running off the power that goes to the brake lights.

I had an XR8 and its cruise wouldn`t work if the brake lights were blowen.

Turns out it was the brake light switch. The sensor was burned and I had the mechanic rebuild it and replace it. Thank you Zuffen for such an accurate and timely response, it is greatly appeciated.