G'day from WA

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

other

Just a quick g'day from a West Aussie newbie here . . . I have a "spare" Jensen Healey, and an LS400 lying around. The devious plan is to combine the 2 (how do you reckon the 2 litre Jensen engine will go in the Lexus shell ? Just kidding !) Bung the sexy V8 into the Healey, put a spare good condition Lotus 907 in the shed for a backup to my good Healey, and have some fun !
Greg

Build it outside of the car

I crafted a 1UZFE into a Nissan 300ZX. I found the best way to do the job was by removing the k-frame (front cross member) and mounting the engine on top of it outside the car. You'll need to take some dimensions first and take some photographs before you remove the k-frame but once you have it out and sitting on a bench you'll be able to fabricate the engine mounts, sump and exhaust. You'll find it much easier to jig up the steering too.
Things to keep in mind:- proximity of steering to exhaust (I fabricated my own extractors for the job) proximity of the brake booster and shape of the transmission tunnel for the box you use. If all the mods are done to the engine to make it fit you'll find the engine who will certify the car will be happier with the job. Hope it goes well for you. :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome. I have actually performed previous acts of automotive Frankenstein-ism, including a 265 Hemi into a Nissan 280, a Leyland P76 4.4 V8 into a L300 van, a VN 3.8 V6 into a Holden Shuttle van, a Series 2 Ecotec V6 into a Rodeo ute, a 355 stroker 308 into a 60 Series LandCruiser, and the other one I am about to start is a Gen2 Suzuki Hyabusa bike engine into a GA Swift (including conversion to RWD, and electric reverse, although this one is planned to be a race car only, after it cops the inevitable red-sticker !) The "Jen-xus' (Lex-sen' sounds too much like a Toyota badge-engineered Commodore . . . . ) is the first one which has offered up the challenge of grafting in a collapsible steering column (the Poms had'nt even thought of them in 1973 !), but all things are do-able with a little thought . . . . . . I'll keep you posted on progress. I would, however, expect it to be slow and sporadic progress, as I am also building 3 bikes at the moment as well (an alloy framed CR500, a Husqvarna 510 with a 650 Kawasaki ER engine in the form of a 'Dakar' style rallye bike, and a CBR1000 street-fighter with a custom frame) . . . . Oh and a full time job and a fortnightly Dad, so I'm a busy boy . . . . ..

Is that all.........

Some interesting projects there. Go for a manual box and stand alone ecu for best performance. Steering coloumn is pretty easy with a couple of uni joints I'm sure.

Keep us posted.

Is that all.........

Some interesting projects there. Go for a manual box and stand alone ecu for best performance. Steering coloumn is pretty easy with a couple of uni joints I'm sure.

Keep us posted.

I was going to do some research on manual options (that was actually the reason for joining this forum, in fact), as auto's are for Company Cars only. I have noticed a couple of stand alone looms on fleabay for transplanting the 1UZFE, and wonered if they countered the electronic gearbox control problem ? Any ideas ?
Actually, I'll post this in the transplants area as well . . . .

No you put the UZ in the Lotus and I'll have the Healy. My mothers maiden name is Jensen.

You're on the right side of the country and if in Perth I'm happy to help

"I have noticed a couple of stand alone looms on fleabay for transplanting the 1UZFE, and wonered if they countered the electronic gearbox control problem ? Any ideas ?"

What electronic gearbox problem are you refering to?

Cheers

gloverman, my assumption was that these are patch in looms, and retained the factory ECU, which, coming from an auto, would want input from speed sensors etc. for shift speed control in the ECU. If they are true stand-alones, with their own ECU, then that's obviously irrelevant, but I doubt it for the 140 odd dollars they were asking for it . . . . . . .

Sorry had to send PM. My hand is up to help... Working on a Healy? That is nothing short of a honour

G'day Simon,
Thanks for the hand up, I would be very grateful for your experience with transplanting UZs. Yep, I love the old Healey,even with their shortcomings ! The Lotus 907 has a reputation for being unreliable, but mine has been great. I have a mint Mk1, in Positano Yellow, which has recently had some damage from a motorbike blowing over onto the bonnet in a storm, so I bought a scruffy Mk2 as a bonnet donor, mainly, although the dash pad and a few other bits will eventually get swapped too. But then I got to thinking . . . . . I've always had a woody for the 1uz, and I cant imagine a more exciting car to drive than a Lexus V8 engined Jensen Healey (though the 'Busa/Swift should be pretty cool !) and the scruffy Mk 2 is sound and licenced, and my mate offered me his whole (slightly damaged) LS400 for $500,so the bug has bitten, again !

But last night my plans took their first big hit . . . . went round to my mates place with a tape measure for a bit more planning, and he's changed his bloody mind about selling me the LS400 ! He's planning to fix the minor frontal damage now, damn him ! So, that leaves me on the hunt for an engine again. sigh.
Meanwhile, going to start hauling the Lotus engine out of the Healey and prepping the engine bay until a suitable donor turns up. As I am going manual, and not utilising any of the original ECU/wiring, all I need is a decent engine with all ancillaries. I guess I'm also looking for a gearbox/flywheel/clutch too. I assume these are Supra items ? What about adaptor plates etc, or is there a bolt-up bell housing ? (please excuse my Toyota ignorance, I play with old English cars, remember !) Thanks.

lots of options for manual conversions bell housings etc. Find a gearbox and go from there. Lots of info on this forum regarding that.

You might also want to start thinking about brakes as well....