fuel consumption gone through the roof and rough running or stuttering when cold

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

2skinner

hey guys im mark. am new here i joined about a week ago and have just been searching and reading non stop lol

i own 2 vehicles with 1uz's in them a 95 4door hilux and a 94 4wd hiace van.

right im having a tinker with my ute as the fuel consumption has gone through the roof and it seems to stutter or run rough when cold and at low revs. it never used to. it seems to start fine hot or cold and idle fine. i am unsure of idle speed as i dont have a rev gauge. although occasionally the idle will hunt up and down.

what i can tell you about the ute is the motor is a 100000km import. its got custom headers and twin tuned exhaust, running a link g4 atom ecu and a 5 speed supra box. no afm. k&n filter on end of intake in middle of engine bay. i got it dyno tuned when i first got it and it was approx 254hp at the wheels.

right in my research i think i have come to the conclusion that it is running no o2 sensors. where is the location for the o2 sensors? are they supposed to be in the headers? if so i have none!

im going to test and set the tps. i foolishly took it off as the plug for it points down so i took it off to see what was in the plug. 4 pins! im pretty confident on refitting and setting it. i have got feeler gauges and a multi meter.

i have checked all the spark plugs. none look fouled. they all seem to be the sameish solour. a slight lightbrown/offwhite. it has new msd leads well there a few thousand kms old now, spark plugs were new then to.
im pretty sure its running electronis ignition... as i can find any distributors and it looks like the 8coils run through a little metal alloy box. (looks to me like a regulator of some sort?) all coils and the box are up on the fire wall.

i have checked the vacuume hoses and all seem to be connected. i have taken off the cold start setup off the front. its mounted onto what looks like a home made flange straight off the fron of the plennum. its slightly miss aligned and looked to be leaking inbetween the plennum and flange and the flange and the cold start solenoid setup. would this be causing a vacuume leak or is it under pressure? seems to be black marks where its leaking. carbon or soot maybe. im off to make some gaskets tomorrow and fix a broken off bolt so its bolted properly by 4 not 3 bolts to the plennum.

once i have the flange fixed and all fitted back together im going to check to make sure all injectors are pulsing with a long screwdriver for a listening tool run it up to temp and set tps and take for a run.

i have also disconnected the battery to let the computer reset.

i cant seem to find the diagnostics box that everyone talks about...

i have also cleaned the air filter!

right thats about it for now. i have tried to be clear as i can. sorry if some of it dosent make sense. as i said im new to this. up untill now i have been a rotary man!

any help info or thoughts would be awesome an appreciated!

cheers mark schwass

As you are running a link if there was a diagnoses box it wouldn't work anyway. Very rarely setting the TPS to factory settings will work with the link. You need to set it with PC link. Also while I perfer to run a oxygen sensor with a link if iun well and give good fuel economy then that is most likely not the issue. Once you have checked the mechanical basic's then best to have a look at the live data using PC-link. Just a note - If you dont know what to look at and change settings you could cause more issues. Cheers

thanks golverman

i have found a place about half hour drive away that will do the pc link for about $30 so i will get it going and get them to have a look if the prob is not already fixed.

thanks heaps mark

so i replaced the flange on the front of the plenum made a couple of gaskets and sealed it up nicely. cleaned air filter checked all plugs and listened to make sure all injectors were pulsing. have taken for a drive at it seems to be fine! makes the wheels spin in 2nd by just putting my foot down again! no spluttering. am yet to figure out if fuel consumption is back down but i have got a full tank so should know soon. it smells a bit fuely while running but we will see. i am still gonna get the pc link done just to check. mainly because i took the tps off and it needs resetting as the motor dies a little bit when i just touch the gas slowly. thanks for you help and info

cheers mark