Flow testing mufflers and pipes

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Althought there is more to exhaust function than pure flow numbers it is interesting to see what various parts will flow. Here is a link to a transmission company that decided to do some testing.

http://www.broaderperformance.com/muffler flow test-A.htm

Here are the results

"Muffler Flow Tests

We are no longer testing mufflers and have no further information available

This is a chart of popular performance and a few stock type mufflers I have tested on our flow bench. These were all the most popular mufflers sold and installed at a local exhaust shop. Straight pipes have been tested and are used to compare these mufflers to "potential" flow of a muffler. When running a performance muffler on the street there are many more things to consider then just good flow. For instance pleasant tone and enough sound reduction to avoid any "unwanted" attention from local authorities. One thing to keep in mind is how restrictive tailpipes are. You can have a great flowing muffler but if your tailpipes are restrictive you may not be getting any gain from loud, high flow, and not to mention sometimes "expensive" mufflers."

img18.gif

JB,

The Hooker pipe is outstanding.

Did they have any figures for a 3" system.

Looking at it rationally 521CFM x 2 + 1042CFM which is way more than most big Yankee V8's can pass so perhaps 2x2.5" Hookers would be the good stuff.

Some of the others were pretty average.

Perhaps I shouldn't put Hookers and stuff in the same sentence?

I think someone else besides that transmission shop did those tests,and this was a while ago. Last time I checked Walker stopped making CVX mufflers (basically aluminized versions of the ultraflo line)

Good thread... I have some questions too but before i just wanted to share my setup for reference. I have stock from cat to mid cat, with a JIC 3'' main collector (mandrel bent) w/ dual 2.5'' "Y" section tails dumping into stainless magnaflow 2.5'' center/offset w/ 4'' tips. I havent really noticed any low end compromise since mine's mostly stock yet top end recieved all he love. ( TC, Elec. fans, EGR del.) but it is a bit on the loud end... I was wondering how flow would be compromised having a 2.25'' header/main cat "Y" to 3'' main collector ending in 2.5'' "Y" all the way out. Im pretty sure ill gain good top end but my LS has gobs of top end... I want something that will have an efficient flow MOSTLY throughout the mid-high power band w/o compromising low end. Exhaust flow is kind of a science but I will have my vortech V1 within the next few weeks some Im thinking 2.25''- 2.5'' is a healthy size? resonators are a must after this much increased flow so im planning on not leavin those out this time but this diameter change is just killing my brain...any ideas? :yawn: