Engine management

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

philt

I am about to start the conversion of a '90 Supra N/A to 1uz power using a '90 Soarer V8 doner. This swap is fairly well documented but my question concerns engine management.I have the original harness & ecu but have heard of issues using this setup without the auto transmission. I am considering using Megasquirt (which I have used before) and Ford EDIS 8 + coil packs running as wasted spark. Are there any power benefits to be had from having full control of spark & fueling? I will not be modifying the engine other than improved induction and de-cat + decent exhaust. I think the standard spec is quoted at 260bhp, I would like to see over 280bhp if possible. Has anyone used Megasquirt on a standard 1uz, and what results where achieved?

There are several people running megasquirt with 1uz. Most are using ms3x but it can be run using ms2 with or without additional ignition drivers.

I have ms2 wired to the factory ignition pickups and batch firing the injectors, its kind of inefficient but works.
It would be nice to run edis the only company making a wheel to fit is out of south Africa. If anyone has another source in the states to prove me wrong, that would be great.

As far as I know, the factory computer in the early models have no problem dealing with the lack of transmission. If it does you could probably short the 1st gear wire and add some resistors to the shift solenoid wiring.

Last edited:
From early crown ECU's right through to late 1uz VVti have no issues without the transmission if wired correctly. I'm yet to do a 3uz factory ECU without the tran. All the others work fine. Early soarers ECU's are very easy to work with but are prone to failing now.

Thanks for the replies, on balance I think I will go with the original management at least as a starting point. The main reason for considering aftermarket management was to release some additional hp with a custom remap (assuming the factory tune is fairly conservative). However, it's probably better to get the car running first and then consider an upgrade.

EMS 8860 or the new EM80 are the way to go. we've never encountered any issues with the 8860 over the last 5-6 years it's been on, that's with a 1200hp TT 1UZ that's driven a couple times a week. the EM80 will be better again has quicker processor and more features.