Dismantling a 1989 Crown

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

361UZ

Hi All:

I am dismantling a 1989 Crown and learning a lot about these cars as I go!
When I started,I noticed a hydraulic pump in the right hand guard, and noticed that the various hoses seem to go to the suspension units. So, I thought... Hydraulic suspension. Fair enough.
Upon further dismantling, I found an air compressor, mounted under the battery cradle. What the??
Then I find a relay marked "Lift relay" and find it is connected to the compressor. Bridging the relay terminals starts the compressor.
Now I am thinking the air system is for the suspension, so what is the hydraulic gubbins for? Brakes?

Suspension is definitely air driven.

Its been a while since I've seen a UZS131 engine bay, but usually the ABS actuator is up near the firewall. I wouldn't think there were any brake parts down at the front of the car. But then again, I can't think of anything else that would be hydraulic except for brakes.

radiator fan?

Nah. That's viscous coupling. Removed that on the weekend (without removing the radiator).

I will follow the hydraulic lines more closely tonite - it's got to be some sort of ABS. There's way too many hydraulic lines for anything else. I will put up a picture tomorrow.

To be honest Rod I'm not sure about the Aussie/USDM LS400, but the Celsior definitely runs the hydro fan.

I'm 99% sure the USDM LS400 runs the hydro as well, as I've never read about anyone easily converting to electric fans.

But its too hard to tell from photos regarding the Aussie LS400, as the big intake duct covers everything.

This is the hydraulics I was talking about:

IMG_0911.jpg

The pump (that runs for about 10 - 20 seconds, when the ignition is switched on) is below the fluid reservoir in the upper left of the picture.
The black cylinder to the right of the reservoir is a rubber sleeve over I don't know. Possibly a pressure tank. Below that (where all the corrosion is), is a mass of plumbing. Presumably the 4 pipes go to the 4 brakes.
There is more plumbing/valves in the casting mounted to the right of the ignitors, above the air inlet. The has 4 pipes going into it, and 3 solenoids inside.
The small black box to the right of this is the ABS relay (it says so) and then the black cylinder is the cruise control actuator.
To the extreme right (just in the picture) is the brake fluid reservoir. The brakes have a normal vacuum booster and two hydraulic lines as per normal brake master cylinders.