Dead starter reason to do a 4.7L swap?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

BLKonBLK98

My starter died recently which basically ruined any chance of me getting rid of the '92 LS without taking too much of a loss. My initial thought was a 4.7L swap but after considering the cost I talked myself out of it.

I compiled a list of parts needed/wanted (might at well do some upgrades while you're in there right?) and started to dig in. Needless to say this isn't the easiest task on it's own but with a couple hours a day for a couple days (slooow pace... it's hot!) I've got all the intake and whatnot off.

The main issue making me revisit this idea is the engine harness. I think maybe 2 connectors didn't break despite the use of a heat gun. One actually broke completely in half, not just the clips. So I am going to replace it in some way,shape, or form be it new connectors spliced in, a new OEM harness, or a custom built harness.

So I'm looking at my engine, minus the intake/EGR stuff, and thinking "this can't be too far off from being able to be pulled", especially considering that i am going to remove the entire harness. Am i way off here?

Now I'm a custom guy that hasn't done a lot of engine work (right next to none actually) but I do have a shop and some tools and some time and some space. I have never rebuilt an engine and have only pulled 1 in my life. I'm also from the low and slow crowd so the HP gain isn't crucial for me, however the sound, experience, and WTF? factor are enticing.

The next step was to do some research. Tundra motors aren't terribly hard to find locally (it's Texas, everybody has a truck) and, therefore, aren't terribly expensive. I would use the heads and rods from the original 1UZ (~138K, well maintained), the 2UZ block, and probably the custom forged pistons since they seem like the way to go to make the swap as easy and functional as possible. I've read a couple other little things may need to be changed/modified but nothing too serious.

So my questions are: Is this a reasonable jump from changing the starter to pulling the engine? What should I expect to spend aside from the cost of the 2UZ and the pistons? Should I do it?

Welcome to Lextreme; good to have another Houstonian here. Which end of town are you located? I'm out north in The Woodlands.

David (Lextreme) is your man. He put a hybrid 4.7, as you're describing, into an LS, and drove it for awhile before diving into a 5.2 stroker project, IIRC.

Welcome to Lextreme; good to have another Houstonian here. Which end of town are you located? I'm out north in The Woodlands.

David (Lextreme) is your man. He put a hybrid 4.7, as you're describing, into an LS, and drove it for awhile before diving into a 5.2 stroker project, IIRC.

I'm by the galleria with a shop in humble. I'm trying to get active in the Houston scene so I try and make as many meets/shows as possible. You may have seen my around:

DSCF0405.jpg

I'll be hitting up David in a couple days for a rebuilt starter and EGR delete kit so if he doesn't chime in here I'll try and get some recommendations/info. out of him then.

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
Nice looking car! I think another Houstonian, JBrady has similar ideas, either based on a 4.7 block, or possibly the 4.3 ally one.

I like the early aluminum block motors, and have been fooling with supercharging a couple of them for a few years.

well i've come to the not-so-logical conclusion that i am going to have to pull the motor/trans at some point so it may as well be now. of course, if i take it out i'm not putting the same thing back in. that's crazy talk.

i'm also gonna take a shot at making my own harness. after more researching the connectors don't seem hard to source so i'm going to make one from scratch for the experience.

wanna give me a hand cribbj? ;)

Ahhh that would be sweet to have the big LEX engine in there. It's a lot of work and I hope you can do a little fabrication on your own. That things looks tough. You can make a new wiring harness pretty easy. Just unwrap the one you have and get to work making another one. You'll just have to spend some good time preserving the connectors or finding newer ones.

well i've come to the not-so-logical conclusion that i am going to have to pull the motor/trans at some point so it may as well be now. of course, if i take it out i'm not putting the same thing back in. that's crazy talk.

i'm also gonna take a shot at making my own harness. after more researching the connectors don't seem hard to source so i'm going to make one from scratch for the experience.

wanna give me a hand cribbj? ;)

Sorry, just saw this; sure I'd be happy to give a hand! PM me and we'll exchange email addresses and go from there.

Ahhh that would be sweet to have the big LEX engine in there. It's a lot of work and I hope you can do a little fabrication on your own. That things looks tough. You can make a new wiring harness pretty easy. Just unwrap the one you have and get to work making another one. You'll just have to spend some good time preserving the connectors or finding newer ones.

the price tag ended up being more than i could swallow so i'm going to back down and keep my measily 4.0l.

i finally dl'ed the stuff from techinfo and i'm going to try just changing all the connector housings instead. has anyone tried this tool, or one similar, to remove terminals from the housings?

cd_1_b.jpg

Sorry, just saw this; sure I'd be happy to give a hand! PM me and we'll exchange email addresses and go from there.

thanks for the willingness to help, but reality set in. usually happens like that.