Curious Laptop or Desktop for posting?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

Just wondering who is using a Desktop VS. Laptop for Lextreme posting... The reason I ask is I have a laptop that took a dump on me for the second time in the last three months. Now I am using a desktop off my television with a cordless keyboard and mouse and it's kinda different to say the least!!! What do you guys prefer? PC or Laptop and why?

General discussions anything goes.....

The difference to me is the laptop will heat up on your lap but you can move around with it, as apposed to a desktop computer your stuck at the desk... Desktop will in most cases out perform the laptop in screen size and in performance...

Bit of a silly question, pay $3500 for a laptop and itll compete with any desktop PC.

Ive been using a Laptop for the last 6 months as my work (progamming) & everyday computer while ive been overseas... couldnt be happier, hasnt let me down yet.

Hi Jibbby, As an IT engineer, its a desktop for me, i have lost count of how many clients have lost everything when their notebook drive takes a dive, and it happens alot.
If you use a notebook make sure you back it up daily!!!.
Notebooks are also not optimized for performance like a well built desktop with good quality components, you get what you pay for.Notebooks typically run 25 to 30% slower than the same configuration as a desktop, notebooks are optimized to save battery life. For a fast backup i use a number of removable USB hard discs and DVD discs, that way you always have at least 3 copies of your data.
Best Regards
Lambo

MWP said:
Bit of a silly question, pay $3500 for a laptop and itll compete with any desktop PC.
Really? Most high end laptops I've seen compete nicely with, say $500 desktop setups for performance and ability, other than portability. I've got a high end laptop with a huge screen, and it's no where near as capable as the dual monitor, dual processor desktop PC I'm posting this from:

1401604d.jpg

I love the laptops for convenience but the Desktops are built to last as apposed to the laptops/notebooks... I have a Toshiba Satalite laptop 3.4GHZ with Hyper threading and is supposedly one of the higher end laptops... Well I have lost both my info two times in the past year (motherboard failure and hardrive, sink fan failure...... I have no pictures saved, no nothing, and I am pissed.... I like the Toshiba Laps over the the HP,Dells, and others but man I am tempted to just stay with this compac desktop I have had for three years and have never had one problem....

Lambo great advice, I need to start backing up my info on disc as should everyone working on a laptop, ...lesson learned...By the way what do you guys think of the Centrino processors compared to the Hyperthreading CPU's AMD's and the Celerons? Lambo? I know that Celerons are garbage. I had one for a month and it crashed all the time...I am maybe concidering a Centrino laptop and sell my Satalite.... The AMD CPU's are suppose to be real nice as well....Thoughts on this anyone?

....Just downloaded my first picture on the Desktop as I am starting from scratch......Some of you guys should try and hook up your PC to your TV's it's wild......You can definetely read the fine print...Here is the picture of my current setup and I am getting use to it from a sofa's point of view....

I've always had a desktop at home, and a laptop at work (for the past 6 years). I've NEVER had a problem with laptop stability. All my laptops have been IBMs and although the HDD is a bit slower thats really the only difference. Running dual screens from my laptop was great as I could have my webserver on one screen and webpage testing or code on the other. The work desktop I've got now (new job 5 weeks ago) is a high end twin CPU system, but they cheaped out on the HDD so its as slow as my old laptop.

I'm running a laptop HDD on my supraserver, its got a connector that makes it possible to plug in a standard PATA cable, then you can read it on any system. If your laptop HDD "dies", try getting one of those ($10?) and plugging it into a desktop to get your data off.

Attachments

• clutch.JPG
    clutch.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 3sgteclean3.JPG
    3sgteclean3.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 3sgteclean4.JPG
    3sgteclean4.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 4