crown v's soarer 1uz-fe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Coffee there are actually 3 variants of the engine. Crown, SC400 and LS400 (also called Celsior)

The cosmetic differences are the plastic plug covers and the badge on the plenum. The Crown ones say "Toyota" also the plenum badge on the Crown says "V8 4 Cam".

The Other engines have an "L" badge on the plenum and "4 cam 32 valve" (don't quote me on this as I don't have my car with me) on the plug covers.

Engine mounts:

Crown - Traditional steel mounts with an isolating block with 4 fasteners.
SC400 - cast Alloy "ears" that stick straight out with a rubber isolator with one stud each end.
LS400 - cast alloy "ears" that sweep forward with a rubber isolator with one stud each end.

Sumps

Crown mid bowl without an oil level guage. Dipstick runs down thru head to sump.
SC400 Rear bowl sump with oil level gauge. Dipstick in an external tube.
LS400 Front bowl sump with oil levle guage and dipstick in an external tube.

Oil pans are not interchangable without the alloy intermediate plate. Swapping sumps requires the oil pan, intermediate plate, windage tray, oil pickup and dipstick/tube.

Intake

All plenums are the same except for the badge.
Crown has traction control on Throttle body.
SC400 may or may not have trac depending on model in range.
LS400 all have trac.

Resonance chamber is different between all three engines.
Intake pipe is different between all three engines.

Airfilter assemblies

Crown and LS400 use round assembly.
SC400 uses rectangular assembly.

Fuel lines

LS400 fuel lines enter and exit lower on the engine than the other 2.

Injectors

Crown uses 215cc injectors
SC400 and LS400 use 251cc injectors

Cooling fans

Crown has viscous fan driven from an idler above the crank pulley
SC400 has hydraulic fan driven by a pump in the same lodation as the Crown idler.
SC400 no idea! I think it's vicuous.
The front covers on the engines are different to allow for the different fan arrangements.

Oil filters

Crown has a rear mounted filter.
SC400 and LS 400 have filter mounted below Air conditioning compressor

Power steering

Crown p/s pump has the resevoir attached to it.
SC400 uses remote resevoir.
LS400 no idea.

Thermostat housing

Crown has no blead lines off the housing.
SC400 has 2 bleed lines from the housing
LS400 no idea

Wiring Harness

Crown does not have provision for oli level guage.
SC400 some models do not have Trac so a different loom

Power output

The Crown puts out less power (around 10-15hp) than the SC or LS400. Partly because of the injectors.

ECU's

Crown has two modules the ECU runs the engine and the ECT runs the transmission. The ECT is happy to run without the ECT
SC400 uses single ECU/T and can be a bugger to run without the transmission or external sensors.
LS400 is the same as the SC.

Exhaust

All three have different, but nonetheless inefficient headers/manifolds. Cats mount in different locations as well.

I've probably missed a heap but that all I can think of.

Rod,
Thanks heaps, thats a lot more info than i expected.
Do you know if the temp sensors after the cats were not connected, would this effect the mixtures ?
Someone has told me they just warn you of increased temp.
Someone else told me they do this and also assist in adjusting the mixture.

I have a friend who put one in a Toyota van but didn't connect the sensors, when he went for the co test it was 1% to high.
I was thinking if the second suggestion was right, this could be richening the mixture causing the high reading ?

Are you able to assist with this ?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen,

Sorry I can't answer the temp sensor question.

I'd expect the high CO result to come from the o2 sensors either being worn out or not working.

I have a spare pair you can borrow to have a try to see if this is the problem.

Are you running an engine check light? Also are you sure the engine isn't in limp mode? Does it rev freely when driven or feel like it's constipated?

I can try to fill in a couple of your blanks for everyone.
Zuffen said:
Coffee there are actually 3 variants of the engine. Crown, SC400 and LS400 (also called Celsior)

The cosmetic differences are the plastic plug covers and the badge on the plenum. The Crown ones say "Toyota" also the plenum badge on the Crown says "V8 4 Cam".

The Other engines have an "L" badge on the plenum and "4 cam 32 valve" (don't quote me on this as I don't have my car with me) on the plug covers.
LS400 - YES
Zuffen said:
Power steering

Crown p/s pump has the resevoir attached to it.
SC400 uses remote resevoir.
LS400 same as Crown
Zuffen said:
Thermostat housing

Crown has no blead lines off the housing.
SC400 has 2 bleed lines from the housing
LS400 1 line to the coolant reservoir only

excellent work zuffen. that post should be made into a sticky... "different types of 1uz."

added into the exhaust headers bit.
Crown - by far the smallest least efficient setup. good if room is tight though.
SC400 - ?
LS400 - ?

also take note after '97(?) the engines got VVT-i (or whateva the Toyota one is called) with other small changes in exhaust manifold design also etc.

The 96 and latter crowns are slightly different to the earlyier crowns. The exhaust manifolds are different, the ecu is different so are air filter and engine mounts and oil filter location.

Guys,
you are all to good.
In a time like the present, it's good to see some people out there can still be humane.
people actually going out of there way to help each other.
Thanks guys.

Zuffen,
Thanks for the offer but thats cool, i have a spare set he can borrow.
Q: How evedent is it when the car is in limp mode ?
would you notice it in a much lighter van with a fairly tall diff ration ?

I don't believe my car has ever been in limp mode so i wouldn't know.

Regards

Stephen

Coffee,

Something went wrong with my set-up a few weeks ago and it went into limp mode.

If the van's in limp mode it will perform a bit like it did when it had the original engine.

In limp mode the engine is flat. Hard to describe but it's gutless, won't rev and consumes quite a bit of fuel. My car weighes 1600kg with pretty low diffs so when it's on song the rush from 3,000 rpm to 6,000 in first is pretty impressive. When off song you could almost run faster than it. It even sounds sick, not crisp and willing.

I couldn't find the fault in any sensor, so on Saturday I took to the wiring with cutters and removed all the wiring for the ECU. Drastic but I'd had enough. By Sunday afternoon it was all back together with neat looms running to/from the ECU and relays with it all mounted on a hinged alloy panel for ease of access. Now it runs beautifully. Still uses heaps of fuel but I think that's my right foots fault.

AFAIK Zuffen, the LS400 and Crown injectors are the same.

Both of my motors (one is either Celsior or LS400, prolly Celsior, and the other is UZS131 Crown) have blue/grey top injectors.

A few other differences

Front mount sump motors have a smaller length aircon unit than the midsump motors.
This is to clear the dipstick.
You cannot use a midsump aircon compressor on a front sump motor.

midsump aircon compressor

frontsump aircon compressor

Thanks guys,

Keep all the differences coming and I'll put it all together as a tech article.

That way it will be there for future reference.

O.K., i have just read this post, and would like to offer something a little different. I would really appreciate your comments on this.
My 1UZ has
-toyota badge on plenum - Crown Engine
-Oil filter at front of engine under AC pump - LS/SC 400
-Front sump bowl with expernal dip stick - LS400
- i think 2 bleed valves off thermostat housing. - SC 400

Auto trans also has rubber doughnut on tail shaft, not old style spiggot shaft.

Can any-one properly identify my engine.

Please dont say its an LS400 engine with crown manifold and sc thermostat housing. Thats what i thought up myself.

THANX in advance.

thefastj said:
nup, not a Crown then.
Crown engines have "V8 4 CAM 32" on the plenum.
Crown have "Toyota" printed on one of the spark plug covers.

Thanx for that. My plug cover has V8 Four Cam 32 printed on it.

So does that make is an LS400 engine then???

I agree LS400.

You can discount the plenum badge. Simply swapped. My engine has the Toyota plenum badge and V8 4Cam 32 on the plug covers. I swapped the plug covers with some spares I have.

The rest of it is all LS400.

The twin or single bleeed on the thermo is easy to misinterpret. I'll work on the way I describe them.

Do you fuel lines come out below the exhaust manifold or above it?

I would have to have a look at it. My engine had no exhaust manifolds on it when i got it, but i will have a look next time i walk past it.

THANX for all the help.

MadMont,

The photos will come in handy.

The later Crowns are vastly diffrent to the early ones. Looks like another engine to sort out!