Cooling issues

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

drifty325i

Hi Guys,

Im still having cooling issues with my 1uzfe, Ive just fitted a big 70mm alloy radiator to my car and a decent fan but at low speeds,after a long run at idle its still getting to hot? any ideas? Its totally fine once your moving.

Im even tossing up venting the hood as i think the main problem is the cars not dissapating the heat well enough, and the engine eventualy suffers from to much heat soak

Bigger fan? theres not much room

The radiator is getting good flow from the grill and its all shrouded up

Cheers

Attachments

• sc400 001.jpg
    sc400 001.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 7
  • sc400 002.jpg
    sc400 002.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 5
  • sc400 003.jpg
    sc400 003.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 8
  • sc400 004.jpg
    sc400 004.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 3
  • sc400 005.jpg
    sc400 005.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 6
Is it in some sort off cowling?Sounds like a air flow issue. 70mm think? that is fairly thick for a electric fan to pull through.May slao be a issue of not enough engine bay room to remove the heat out of.

Is it in some sort off cowling?Sounds like a air flow issue. 70mm think? that is fairly thick for a electric fan to pull through.May slao be a issue of not enough engine bay room to remove the heat out of.

Yes there is a decent cowling that in my opinion works well and does seal on the radiator. As i say it does cool very well when moving

Ive just measured the radiator its 63mm thick.

I think you might have a good point with not enough room to remove the heat

Hmmmm what to do

Hey Riley,
Some questions:
Are you sure that your fan is rotating in the correct direction?

Does it have reversable blades depending on whether it is in push/pull configuration? (a pull fan with shroud covering the whole radiator is the best solution)

How much of the radiator fins are covered by the fans and cowling? Could this be improved?

Once the air passes through the radiator are there any obstructions preventing it from exiting the engine bay (like underbody skid plates etc)

Cheers,

Nick M

Hey Riley,
Some questions:
Are you sure that your fan is rotating in the correct direction?

Does it have reversable blades depending on whether it is in push/pull configuration? (a pull fan with shroud covering the whole radiator is the best solution)

How much of the radiator fins are covered by the fans and cowling? Could this be improved?

Once the air passes through the radiator are there any obstructions preventing it from exiting the engine bay (like underbody skid plates etc)

Cheers,

Nick M

Yes im 100% sure the fan is blowing in the right direction

The fan is pushing the air through from the front

I would say the fan only covers 60% of the radiator so not ideal, i may have to increase this buts its going to be quite tight!

The entire underbody of my car is open, ie no undercarrage covers etc, so air flow underneath should be good but as you no heat rises so thats why ive thought bonnet vents

Cheers Nick let me no your thoughts

Pushing from the front with a cowl? can you post up some pictures, they are worth a thousand words.

How have you got the hoses conected up and what is the direction of coolant flow. Ie from thermostat to the bottom of the rad?

I wouldn't think you need extra vents and if not designed correctly could even make it worse as you will increase the air pressure behind the radiator in the engine bay and so not allow as much air to flow through the radiator.

Oh its a pusher,a cowling in that configuration will do squat, a cowling will only work as a puller.Maybe two smaller ones would do better.

For N/A engine, a dual 12" fans will work perfect as the pullers. However, each one should have at least 1500 CFM. If you run a single fan as the pusher, you gotta cover the entire radiator area. A dual thin 14" will be enough. You can perhaps run a single thin fan as the puller to help pull the heat out while the pushing fan does its job.

Thanks for your help guys ill post up some pics this weekend and let you guys have a look, i think your right though, i need more fans!! maby one pulling and pushing if i can squeeze it in

Attachments

• Lexus-Toyota-Rods.jpg
    Lexus-Toyota-Rods.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 67
pullers work better than pushers. mines only got a single row radiator and two small pullers and it works good even on a hot day. hoses round the wrong way is another common problem. also is your heater connected? or does the heater hose loop back into the engine? apparently that can make them run hot, the water just goes round and round the engine getting hotter and hotter instead of thru the radiator. you can help this by restricting the flow thru the loop hose.

If you can adapt an E.L Ford Falcon electric fan & couling ?
They work VERY well..
If you want a narrower fan? The Falcon A.U may do the job..
They are complete with just relays, temp switch required..
Very thin if enough room...
The trouble with front mount fans is they restrict air entry..
A short stone guard will assist pulling air through while car is moving also...

pullers work better than pushers. mines only got a single row radiator and two small pullers and it works good even on a hot day. hoses round the wrong way is another common problem. also is your heater connected? or does the heater hose loop back into the engine? apparently that can make them run hot, the water just goes round and round the engine getting hotter and hotter instead of thru the radiator. you can help this by restricting the flow thru the loop hose.

Yes my heater is connected, but it uses a valve so the hot water is not going back through to the engine so thats good.

Because of the limited room I cant fit any fans on the front, well maby one on one side of the radiator.

Im pretty sure the hoses are correctly hooked up as well, the metal top outlet if feeding the top of the radiator and the plastic one is being feed from the bottom of the radiator.

Cheers thats good info!!

If you can adapt an E.L Ford Falcon electric fan & couling ?
They work VERY well..
If you want a narrower fan? The Falcon A.U may do the job..
They are complete with just relays, temp switch required..
Very thin if enough room...
The trouble with front mount fans is they restrict air entry..
A short stone guard will assist pulling air through while car is moving also...

I really dont think I have the room mate, I could possibly fit one puller fan on the engine side so i may do that and keep the one on the front as well.

A short stone guard? Is this below the radiator your talking about? so the air is not disturbed im guessing?

Yes the front mount fans do restrict airflow but its still cooling very well when moving so i dont think its an issue

Cheers again, you guys no your stuff!!

Is the fan still on when hot? Or just before it does come on??.. The thermo switch MAY be in wrong possition ? Or wrong setting as in needing to be too hot before switching..
The under tray helps suck air through radiator while moving..
Like ground effects..

Is the fan still on when hot? Or just before it does come on??.. The thermo switch MAY be in wrong possition ? Or wrong setting as in needing to be too hot before switching..
The under tray helps suck air through radiator while moving..
Like ground effects..

Yes its constantly on when hot, Im pretty sure its switching on at the correct time, as its a fair bit before it starts to get to hot. It may be an idea to switch it on earlia like you say?

Ill get an undertray sorted asap!! cheers great advice

Attachments

• IMG_3314 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3314 (Small).JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3311 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3311 (Small).JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3313 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3313 (Small).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3315 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3315 (Small).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 111
How did you get on with this problem.did you have any photo's of your setup

Hey dude i just pm you on bimmersport!! haha. I have not had time to sort it yet. It actually looks very similar to your setup apart form my cooler looks a little bigger, and your fans a puller. I was going to ask you about something else as well, you got a cell or home number i can call you on?