Coolant Problem?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

pull_85

hey all.
ok i got a problem ill try explain....

car keeps spitting out all the coolant,
i just filled it up, started it, kept filling it till it all circulated, stopped filling then waited and it just over flowed on its own?

my mate says either head gasket? or the airbag system is leaking air into the coolant? is this possible, he said maybe as the trucks at his work use that type system with coolant flowing through the air bag pump,,,

or something else maybe?

i replaced the rad cap thought that was leaking ?

help :(

cheers guys for anything
paul.

If the car keep drinking water there is two way… 1st check the engine oil 2nd check the exhaust. other wise you will notes the leakage comes form some were.
To fill the radiator you should leave it till its cool down. You can leave it for one night and try to fill it then close the cap and start the engine

When the engine runs, it should suck down the coolant into the engine. When the engine stops and is cold, the coolant should be back full in the reservoir, but not overflown. The worst case is the water pump doesn't work properly.

hey, thanks for the ideas...
i took the fitting out, was just full of coolant, checked oil, looks ok, and exhaust is normal,
it just keeps over flowing out the cap/over flow hose,

The system could be overfull plus the cap could be faulty and letting coolant out at lower pressure than it should.

Fill the tank (on a cold engine) to the minimum line, seal the system and see what happens.

You should get the cap checked or replaced as well.

If you still have trouble after that let us know.

If this fixes it also please let us know.

ok, had it all working sweet, only leaked out a little bit then stopped...
then i went for a drive,
and everything just cooked.
coolant was at 110 degrees c
im gonna drop all the water and everything out soon, maybe theres a blockage or something in radiator??

cheers guys...

ok the overflowing has stopped... but now just cooks ?
oil looks ok, n exhaust is ok, coolant isnt going anywhere just boils easy?

im feeling very depressed and sad, it my only car and im poor as :( so im really hoping its not a head gasket...

cheers guys

Couple things I'd try:

1. Confirm the water pump is actually pumping OK - squeeze one or both of the radiator hoses when the engine is running and hot, and see if you can "feel" water circulating.

2. Take the thermostat out completely and see if that changes anything.

3. Have someone rev the motor as you watch the radiator outlet (pump inlet) hose to see if it collapses as the water pump sucks more water. This is an old-timey problem which rarely happens anymore.

4. Confirm your fan is working up to snuff.

5. There's a cheap kit that you can buy from most auto parts stores that lets you check for a blown head gasket. It checks your coolant for the presence of exhaust gas IIRC. That might be a good idea to purchase - here in the US these kits only cost around $15.

Couple things I'd try:

1. Confirm the water pump is actually pumping OK - squeeze one or both of the radiator hoses when the engine is running and hot, and see if you can "feel" water circulating.
ok tried that, didnt feel like there was anything circulating...
so that means im up for a new water pump?

Maybe, but not positively - it could also mean your thermostat is stuck shut and the water pump is just bypassing all the coolant back into the engine. Won't take long for it to overheat.

Now take your 'stat out and repeat the test, and watch your coolant temps to see if things improve.

ok took the thermostat out n still cant feel any flow in radiator hoses...... :(

so must be the water pump now? what would cause this to happen?
cheers

Could be a couple of things:

1. It's possible the pump is still trying to work, but there's a blockage in the coolant gallery or radiator that would restrict or block circulation.

2. In rare cases we've seen the water pump's shaft shear, so the impeller just doesn't turn.

3. The pump impeller could be blocked or the shaft frozen and the timing belt is just slipping on the pulley? See if the backside of your timing belt is REAL shiny.

ok its not the pump. pump is working and thermostat is too...
i took the radiator out yesterday gave it all a good clean out there was a block in the drivers side(aus) raditator pipe that goes to the overflow bottle...that 17mm bolt on the side was full of junk...
but its over heating.. i got a thermometer radiator cap and that says 100c inside the temp gauge is normal, 1 3rd.. so thinking the temp sensor has gone, and few mates say head gasket or head?

hmm

Sounds like your cooling system is a candidate for a good flush.

Also talk to the radiator shops or auto parts shops around and see who can test your coolant for the presence of exhaust gas (to check for a blown head gasket), or you might want to buy the kit yourself and do it.

Have you run a compression test yet?

Don't follow your mates advice and pull the heads off until you are 150%, no 200%, sure this is the problem.

Parts will set you back a minimum of $500.00 and take you a couple of days.

If the pump is pumping water it comes down to a couple of options:
1. The radiator is blocked.
2. The radiator is too small.
3. There is insufficient ariflow (driving lights etc) or the fans are too small or just don't work.
4. blown head gsakets.

Notice I put blown hg's last.

If you can't sort it yourself I'd be inclined to give it to a radiator shop and get them to look at it if you've exhausted your other options.

Sometimes you need to decide if it needs expert help or perhaps you are moving out of your depth.

i thought about the fan , i noticed it wasnt working very well... and the temp on my radiator cap is alot higher than the temp gauge in my car, so maybe the temp sensor is stuffed?
if thats sending a 'cold' signal will that turn the fan down?
cos while idleing its only just spining even when it starts to overheat,

Is your fan elctric, belt driven or hydraulic?

If electric, switching should have nothing to do with the sensor unless your running an aftermarket ECU in which case it calud but the temp sensor for your gauge is a different sensor to the ECU one.

Belt driven fan could have a faulty clutch mechanism.

Hydralic fan could be faulty solenoid, sensor or perhaprs low on fluid.

Is it worse when driving slowly or at freeway speeds?

its the stock celsior fan hydraulic clutch thing...
i havent driven the car anywhere in over a week, i just idle it in the driveway, and it over heats,
the fan has fluid, just doesnt spin, only just moves when idleing, but spins when it revs up..