Considering engine for 240z swap.....question about 1UZ & Others

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

vodka

Hey guys,

After reading about the motor, I'm considering using it in the 240z hybrid project that I plan to take up soon. The other motors I'm considering are an LS1, 1jz-gte, and possibly a rb20det, and if all else fails, the only one of the bunch that bolts in without much work, the l28et.The criteria that I use for the motor is which can make 400 hp to the wheels in a manual cheapest (counting the cost of the motor) and with the lowest weight, the winner being the best balance of the bunch. That being said, I wanted a motor with plenty of low-end power, hence abandoning 4-cylinder motors as a choice.

I know this is a lexus forum, so I'll just ask for a comparison between the 1uzfe and 1jz-gte for the money, but if you wanna chime in on the other motors, so be it.

This is what I see needed from the 1uz, correct me if I'm wrong.

Front Clip sans tranny-not too much, you can get them dirt cheap in the states, and I live within easy driving distance of lextreme.
MKIII R154 tranny-shouldn't be too much either.
Conversion kit-about 1300 us give or take, but I figure I can take some of that off by using MKIII parts and since some stuff might be custom for my application anyways regardless of which motor/tranny I use, I figure I can take some of that off.
Intake, Exhaust, Headers, 8 390cc DSM injectors (25% SoCalDSM discount comes in handy here if I want them new from a dealer), Split Second FTC-Shouldn't be too bad on cost.
Now the hard part, forced induction. I'm not sure that in my application I'll need the thicker headgasket and ARP Rod bolts, but I think its better for safety measure. As for a supercharger, I think I read on this board that you can use a whipple 1600AR or AX for a good amt of psi without an intercooler since they run cool, and its not too expensive, only about 1550 at superchargersonline.com (I haven't checked up on the reliability of that site, but the price seems rather good.) That's really useful for me, as I'm trying to keep as much weight as I can in between the axles of the car (and plenty of stuff will be moved to the rear.) I'm not sure how many other parts I'll need to supercharge the car (I'm not the most familiar with roots-style supercharger applications, turbos are moreso my specialty,) but I know a pulley and some adapters will at least be required.

The other choice is the 1jz-gte
Its already turboed and strong with really good head flow, but I think its heavier than the 1uz, even with supercharger, not to mention the additional weight of all that piping/the intercooler. The power should be fairly easy to make by using supra 550s/changing the impedance resistance from low to high, intake/exhaust, boost/fuel/ignition controller,FMIC and a turbo upgrade (I've seen one where they convert the CT12 turbine housing to a CT20 and use a CT26 compressor housing and I think it didn't cost too much per turbo, and I think that should be able to flow for around 400)

So, I just want to hear your guys opinions as to which one would be the better swap.

If 400atw if what you want, LS1, chip, cam, and whatever those pushrod ppl do will be the cheapest.

1uz with 400atw will require boost, lots of it, aftermarket ecu, big cooler, big exhuast, etc etc.

1jz will require as above, but a big single upgrade.

You should be able to do the LS1 in NA, but if you can't, a simple blower bolt on will do it no probs.
And the factory LS1 ecu can be reprogrammed to suit.

240 is a small car the and the iron block might be too heavy for it, but its the best bang for the bucks. However, 1uz would be a nicer choice.