clutch slave

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dean

righto here is the go, i have set up my clutch to test out whether my custom clutch set up is working
( 1uzfe to w58 supra gearbox manual conversion)
so i bleed the clutch and get some one to press it when its in gear the tail shaft doesn't spin( its not connected to the diff) but the throw out bearing is pushing the pressure plate fingers slightly.
so i got a 1/4 inch extension that is 10mm longer than the rod that pushes my clutch fork, that works perfectly but now the clutch has no play and the release bearing is going to constantly touch the pressure plate (result is it machines the fingers off) so how do i make my slave work? its a w58 gearbox and a w58 clutch slave.

Last edited:
Sounds like you'll need a slave cylinder with a smaller sleeve (so you get swing movement with your clutch fork). Bullet Cars sell them for $130 - $150. I also have one sitting around but it has a broken leg where you bolt it to the belhousing. You may be able to repair being a wizz with the welder that you are. Drop by sometime and you can have it.

I was going to suggest something similar.

If you need more slave stroke, then you can sleeve it to a smaller diameter. There are specialty companies here in the USA that do this, and I'm sure you have them in Oz.

Or, you can overbore the master cylinder - this can be trickier than sleeving the slave, as there's usually not much excess material.

Either way, a couple of millimeters should be all you need. The new stroke will be the ratio of the diameters squared, times the original stroke of the slave. Or very simply, a change in diameter of a couple millimeters, will get you nearly double that amount in stroke change.

Another possible way to do this would be to move the fulcrum point of the release fork.

Stock w58 slaves are normally 13/16 and hilux generally use a 5/8 master. Sleeving the slave to 11/16 is normally enough and the bore will not need to be extended as there is still enough travell in the slave. You will need to ensure the push rod is a few mm away from the base of the slave when the clutch is off. I also carry a 3/4 master cylinder which is a easy way of giving the slave more travel.

FYI - turning the tailshaft with your hand is not a good enough test.

I did this when I fit my first clutch years ago. Had a friend sitting in the car, and I adjusted the rod (it was an adjustable one) so that when he put his foot on the clutch, I could move the tailshaft.

I lowered the car, started it, put it in gear, and went to take off, but got nothing but slippage.

Readjusted the rod and it was all good.

thanks mates, i will defently seeing u che for the slave.today and hopefully getting it working, and yeah about just moving the tail shaft im just doing that to see if my thailanese conversion was all working right, and im going to make an adjustable slave rod to minimise play and enable good adjustment. thanks for the heads up, hoping to see it all running soon :))