Check VSC & ABS issue

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fastegg

Check VSC & ABS keeps coming up... I can reset it however when I start the car and put it into drive it comes back on...also now cannot get it out of PARK without first having to depress the PARK override button... I'm guess these 2 things are related because they both started playing up at the same time... I've plugged in a UBD2 . code reader but no fault codes come up.... Anybody got any suggestions ?

Will have a look thru the manuals when lockdown gets lifted.
Are you resetting by disconnecting the battery? That would wipe any codes.
Have you checked for codes while the warning lamps are on?

Bridge TC-E1 in the obd socket, turn ignition on, you should see whole instrument panel blinking. Write down the flash codes for each system and let us know

Will have a look thru the manuals when lockdown gets lifted.
Are you resetting by disconnecting the battery? That would wipe any codes.
Have you checked for codes while the warning lamps are on?
I plugged in my code reader but no fault codes came yup... Yes I have disconnected the battery any times to no avail... :(

Bridge TC-E1 in the obd socket, turn ignition on, you should see whole instrument panel blinking. Write down the flash codes for each system and let us know
A guy on the clublexus.com said he had exactly the same problem and it turned out to be the neutral safety switch... so i've just purchased a new generic one $40USD inc post to Australia...
it's raining at present however tomorrow i'll go out and bridge those UBD pins and see what lights up.

Pin 13 (TC) is the Check Terminal. When it is grounded to Pin 4 (CG) it puts the vehicle into diagnostic mode and the instrument cluster should flash any codes present

You ever get this sorted? I have no faults, and no ABS also.
I replaced the gear position / neutral switch but that didn't fix it... a few weeks later I turned it on one day and the whole thing came good... everything works !!! So i'm guessing a bad connection somewhere perhaps... occationally the speedo & tacho stop working for a short time but then they too come good... at present everythings working except the fuel gauge which hasn't worked (properly) for years... So FIIK... 357,000km all good !

I replaced the gear position / neutral switch but that didn't fix it... a few weeks later I turned it on one day and the whole thing came good... everything works !!! So i'm guessing a bad connection somewhere perhaps... occationally the speedo & tacho stop working for a short time but then they too come good... at present everythings working except the fuel gauge which hasn't worked (properly) for years... So FIIK... 357,000km all good !
nice! I'd like the ABS to work, but stumped. With no codes, not sure what to test.

nice! I'd like the ABS to work, but stumped. With no codes, not sure what to test.
I plugged a fault code device in the UBD2 but no fault codes... I also jumped pins 13 & 4 in the UBD2 socket and dash code thingy came up in the dash but with no fault codes... I have a quick disconnect on the battery in the trunk which i disconnect & reconnected many times hoping it would reset its way out of it also. It would reset it but as soon as i moved the gear stick the VSC & ABS came back on... stupid thing hates me.... but then luckily for me.....
Another odd thing.. the outside mirrors that are supposed to dip down when put in reverse haven't worked for years & years then bugger me they started working for no reason !!!! ha... who knows ..... :)
I sympathize with you about the VSC & ABS lights being on.. it annoyed the hell out of me too as i just like everything to work... if you ever work it out please let me know..
BTW.. what can you tell me about the model and life of your baby ?

I plugged a fault code device in the UBD2 but no fault codes... I also jumped pins 13 & 4 in the UBD2 socket and dash code thingy came up in the dash but with no fault codes... I have a quick disconnect on the battery in the trunk which i disconnect & reconnected many times hoping it would reset its way out of it also. It would reset it but as soon as i moved the gear stick the VSC & ABS came back on... stupid thing hates me.... but then luckily for me.....
Another odd thing.. the outside mirrors that are supposed to dip down when put in reverse haven't worked for years & years then bugger me they started working for no reason !!!! ha... who knows ..... :)
I sympathize with you about the VSC & ABS lights being on.. it annoyed the hell out of me too as i just like everything to work... if you ever work it out please let me know..
BTW.. what can you tell me about the model and life of your baby ?

My VSC and ABS lights aren't on as I have no instruments or lights at all... or any dash.... lol. I got mine 11 years ago with around 254,000 miles that had been basically repossessed and abandoned. Air suspension failed, and a pulley seized on the motor & no battery but still looked decent. Got it for $350USD and made a race car out of it. Replaced the suspension with $60 worth of junkyard shocks/springs, removed the seized pulley (along with much of the accessories), put it a battery and it worked just fine with no warnings. Since then I've modified something every year pretty much. Its a 91, with 95 front brakes, 99' GS400 engine, trans and ABS/Brake booster/Wiring harness, SC300 differential carrier & Ring & Pinion, 98 Supra T2 Torsen diff, Prius electric power steering on a custom fabbed column (removed the hydro ps), aftermarket coilovers and everything else custom.

Attachments

• 06-24-Hours-of-LeMons-The-Cure-For-Gingervitis-2013-BS-Inspction-626x426.jpg
    06-24-Hours-of-LeMons-The-Cure-For-Gingervitis-2013-BS-Inspction-626x426.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4
A track car ?.... that's different... If you have no instruments then how do you know the ABS doesn't work ? i'm envious about the T2 Torsen diff... I'd love one.. my previous car was a Cressida Grande that had LSD as std and it was so much fun to drive in the wet and on dirt roads... could just drift it all over the place quite safely... but the LS is a 1 wheel screamer... So you put the diff in yourself ?... i'm aware the Supra Torsen fits but never spoken to someone who's done it... Can you give me a quick run down of what was involved and any mods required ? Why the SC300 differential carrier & Ring & Pinion ?... What exhaust ?
*** i'd love it if I could have a paddle shifter fitted... my left arm doesn't work so driving it like a manual is a bit awkward as I have to cross over with my right hand... I constantly drive it like a manual... I had an oversized trans oil cooler fitted.. ATF never exceeds 70 degrees C ... also put a power steering fluid cooler radiator on to as powersteering fluid metal reservoir always got so hot you couldn't touch it.. now it only gets warm... the theory is if you want these things to last forever don't let them get hot Pic1 Oversize trans cooler
Pic 2&3 power steering cooler
Pic4 Biggest improvement was removing engine fan and installing thermo fan.. 10% better fuel eco AT LEAST and it's much quieter as so long as your moving the fan never comes on.
Pic5 I love that motor !!!!!! Brrrrrruuuupppppp !!!
I have oil pressure, water temp, oil temp & trans oil temp gauges

Attachments

• IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4253.JPG
    IMG_4253.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4255.JPG
    IMG_4255.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4256.JPG
    IMG_4256.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
so, T2 just bolts in, in place of the open spider gears. Nothing to it. Take apart diff, put in the new bits, reset your gear spacing/pinion lash, bobs yer uncle. I used the SC300 diff because the ring an pinion is 4.26 ish instead of the 3.63 ish gear ratios - LS is geared too tall for track work. Exhaust was hand made by me, with dual pipes, crossover and two open flow mufflers, exiting out the side of the passenger side of the car. Its all one piece from the manifold back. GS400 has paddles; I'm sure hardware is all the same, but might need GS trans ECU I suspect? I just used a whole GS400 engine and transmission. I also replaced that giant heater of a PS system with a Prius electric PS which I like a lot better.

So we had our big race this weekend - More than 400 drivers, 100+ cars and 15hrs of racing. I came off my first stint in first overall with fastest lap of the race.... went downhill from there. My 3rd (of 3) drivers had a shunt, and car is trashed. Its fixable, but I think if I can find a decent street car replacement, I'll build up a 1998-2000 car to replace it.

I'm guessing my '98 LS diff is 4.26 ?... does the Supra Torsen suit that ratio ?
Didn't know the GS400 has paddles... man I would love that..
Sounds like you had a good weekend on the track... What class is the LS in ?... have you got an action photo ?

No, the v8 cars have a 3.26 or something like that. Only the 6 cyl cars have the 4.27, hence I got it from a SC300 but the diff housing and whatnot is the same (the later LS has a different diff housing than my early car, so I fabricated subframe mounts to use the later housing). Even then, first gear still runs out to 34mph (I'm running same engine and trans as you, but my rear end ratio different, and my tires smaller diameter so slower that would be in your car). GS actually has shifter "buttons" on both the front and back of the steering wheel rather than paddles, but could make some I suppose. I'd rather just run it in auto with sensible programming (which stock isn't - looking for some kind of shift controller). Torsen is just a "limited slip" so it doesn't care what gear ratio you run; that's transparent to the diff function. There's Classes in Lemons, but it doesn't matter, as I believe in "if you ain't first, you're last!". I'm there to win the whole thing. Anything less is just "meh". That said, they put us in Class B, but we were faster than the A cars too. This is my favorite passing clip - guy was hauling and thinking he was leading the field... Not for long, and surprised the heck out of him
x.jpg

Last edited: