Changing the rear wheel bearing?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I feel stupid to ask questions about this basic fix, but I want to make sure I am about to do this job right this time around? Can anyone advise me if I am forgetting or doing something wrong before I get started?

I bought the replacement incased rear wheel bearing at the dealer for $110 for my 1992 SC400...(rip off) aslo got the axle bearing grease...

I will begin the job by removing the rear wheel, and then will remove the center axle nut...Then remove the old damaged wheel bearing and clean out all the old grease and bearing housing areas with a clean rag... I will then pack the new wheel bearing with grease by applying the grease in the palm of my hand and slowing working the grease into the bearing by pressing and rotating the bearing in a circular motion on my palm of my hand... Then I will pack the empty wheel bearing housing area as needed with the axle/bearing grease and install the wheel bearing in it's permanent place... If I need to back out the independant axle for cleaning and installation purposes I will, but I hoping I won't have to do that...

Lastly I will tighten down the center axle nut to a good snug fit against the wheel bearing.. After tightening the axle nut down I will then re-use and install the old cotter holding pin onto the axle nut. (I will make sure the wheel free spins and also has no wobble or free play, a tight fit) then to finish the job I will reinstall the rear wheel and then proceed to roast the car...

I did this a few years ago on this same 1992 SC400... That same wheel bearing I replaced failed..... That is why I started this thread to see if I went wrong anywhere....I think I used the wrong grease the first time around and that is why this wheel bearing failed... I remember I used white grease because that is all I had in the garage at the time...I remember I was too lazy to get my arse to the auto parts store for that thick bearing grease..... This time I am not so lazy...

Here is a pic of the new Sc400 wheel bearing...Did I forget anything?

I will begin the job by removing the rear wheel, and then will remove the center axle nut...Then remove the old damaged wheel bearing and clean out all the old grease and bearing housing areas with a clean rag... I will then pack the new wheel bearing with grease by applying the grease in the palm of my hand and slowing working the grease into the bearing by pressing and rotating the bearing in a circular motion on my palm of my hand... Then I will pack the empty wheel bearing housing area as needed with the axle/bearing grease and install the wheel bearing in it's permanent place... If I need to back out the independant axle for cleaning and installation purposes I will, but I hoping I won't have to do that...quote
It would be difficult to remove the beaings without first removing the calipers , brake disk , hub (difficult to remove without removing the housing and using a puller but not impossible) and axle. Not much point filling the bearing housing with grease when the only grease the bearings need is in the bearings. Although a smear of grease in the housing may make it easier to assemble and take apart next time it fails. Do not put too much grease in the bearings. New seals would be good for keeping out the dirt .
Big job but you have done it before so no problem.

It's been a while Madmont.....Forgot about the caliper getting in the way, I aslo don't remember anything about housing removal and a puller needed... Well it's been about three years since the job so you tend to forget the exact details...Atleast I do...

Thanks for the reply Madmont and I won't use too much grease... I was more concerned about specific torque specifications on the nuts.. I go by feel and not a torque wrench.....

I also don't remember it being a big job. However, then again at the time I was replacing the differential with an LSD and also my damaged one rear independant axle... So everything was removed when I actually replaced the one wheel bearing...

I don't like big jobs unless I am gaining horsepower...Tell me it ain't so..... Removing the brake caliper is no big deal..(Two rear caliper bolts) The axle is trouble as you got those allen bolts at the differential...The housing I honestly don't recall removing...Hmmmm? I sure don't remember using a puller... The only time I ever used a puller was when I installed my electric fans..I need to lay off the THC intake I guess....Short term memory I know was shot, but the long term too...Sheeeet...