Centrifugal Vs. Root

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
No we are not going to discuss which one is better or which one will give you more lower end. In this thread I would like to open up some ideas on the financial budget between the two systems. They both are superchargers but they are slightly different in application. I am trying not to be bias in any system. I call it as it is.

Centrifugal Supercharged System
1. Bracket: $100 un coated
2. Procharger P1SC: $2,500 (brand new)
3. Pulleys, bolts and spacers: $100
4. Belt: $45
5. Misc pipes and couples with clamps: $100
6. FMU $200
7. Bypass Valve: $200
8. Battery Relocation: $150
Total: $3,400.00

Root Supercharger M90
1. Richwood Manifold: $800 USD (I think)
2. M90 (used Ebay) $200
3. Elbow and TB mod $$$?
4. Belt: $45
5. Misc pipes and couples with clamps: $50
6. FMU $200
7. Misc: $200
Total: $1,545 to about $2,000

Root Supercharger M112
1. Richwood Manifold: $800 USD (I think)
2. M112 (used Ebay) $500
3. M112 mod: $300
4. Elbow and TB mod $200
5. Belt: $45
6. Misc pipes and couples with clamps: $50
7. FMU $200
8. Misc: $200
Total: $2,295.00

The above numbers are the basic and minimum. Whistles and bells will cost more....

it's not biased, since new centrifugals are about the only way to go if you want that kind of system. so it is not biased from the author point of view, it just has the disadvantage of lower popularity than roots.

To be un biased you should look at the new price of a roots blower.
Good point. I dont know the retail price for a brand new M112 or M90. However, the more I look my M112, the easier it is then a brand new one since most M112 is configured either top or rear entry. The Cobra M112 is side entry which is better for us. I think used Vortech or Procharger is about $1000.

So I guess if new vs. the price should be very similar. Perhaps I should call up FORD and ask for the M112 price.

I agree a second hand centrifugal will probably be stuffed so may be a secondhand roots.

It would be hard to get an accurate comparison using secondhand parts. I bought a secondhand but un used M90 for $150 sill packaged in it's original box. Lex scored a 112 for beer money. You may pay $500 for a used secondhand roots supercharger and then have to rebuild it.

You may also score a good used centrifugal for beer money as well.

The idea is not to see how cheap you can build a system using secondhand parts or which is best as all applications are different.

"What will a new off the shelf (sort of) supercharger set up cost me?" is the question.

Which is the best bang for your buck will come later.

I know what an m90 set up has cost me and lex's numbers are about right, for a secondhand unit.

According CAPA:
M112 Supercharger
$ 2,950.00 AUD

M112 Supercharger - with snout extension
$ 3,115.00 AUD

M90 Supercharger
$ 2,897.00 AUD

Vortech V-1 S Trim - Straight or Curved outlet (Straight Gears)
$ 2,941.25 AUD

Vortech V-2 SQ - Silent - Straight or curved outlet (Helical Gears)
$ 2,941.25 AUD

Vortech V-1 T Trim - Straight or Curved outlet
$ 3,605.50 AUD

So the price between the two systems is pretty close.... I would assume Procharger P1SC would cost little more then Vortech.

doesnt that make the centrifugal system cheaper, as you dont have to buy the manifold you need with a roots? brackets and piping are alot cheaper than an aftermarket blower manifold.
with an intercooled system, the centrifugal system would have to be ALOT cheaper too. front mount intercoolers are almost being given away these days.
either way, its not cheap and probably not too much different cost overall so most people would be more influenced by torque/performance characteristics of a system rathre than the price i would think.

I am finding a used M90 setup to be the best bang for the buck... Finding a reasonable priced manifold is the kicker... Richmond maniflolds cost more then the rest of the setup combined...

i wonder if anyone will ever do a 1uz remote m90 setup? ie. mount it up over one of the cam covers and pipe it to the standard intake system. it could even be intercooled easy enough. hmm...

I think it takes way to much room to remote mount an m90, especially trying to fit it into the bay of an LS or SC (the space just doesn't exist).

I have to agree with Jibbby though, the Richwood manifolds are way too expensive for a "cheap" system. I don't think the market exists for someone else developing one though.

Thanks lex, I will keep that bracket in mind... It's really the supercharger manifolds that I am really after....

Attachments

• PumpBlock.JPG
    PumpBlock.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
  • PumpBlock2.JPG
    PumpBlock2.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Pulley.JPG
    Pulley.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 8
Jibby, have a look at the way Jordy's Ski Boat did his. You could start with a stock lower half manifold and modify that.

It still wouldn't be cheap if you have to pay the going rate, but if you have a welder buddy, maybe it would only cost you materials & beer.

FWIW, I think Richwood's manifolds are great value for the money. Have you priced what a one-off sheet metal manifold would cost? I did a few years ago and the prices ranged from $1000 to $1500.

Plus the rigidity of a custom manifold for mounting a supercharger would always be doubtful for me, while with a casting, there's no doubt.