Car chewing through alternators

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dicko

Ok i've searched but struggled to find anything with regards to this rather odd problem i'm having.

A few weeks ago, the battery light came on. Not knowing all that well what it meant, i drove around like this for 2-3 weeks without any problems. Then out of the blue, the TRC, airbag and pretty much every other light on the dash came on one after the other, stereo stopped working, dash lights dimmed and power steering felt kind of sedated. Had to jump start it the next time, so i figured the alternator wasn't charging the battery.

Anyway, removed the alternator and it was fried, the grounding terminal nuts looked like they had been welded! All up that grounding bolt was flaky and burnt, and the ceramic pot under the terminal had crumbled away. Got the alternator reconditioned for a reasonable price, and reinstalled. charged the battery for a bit, then went driving for an hour or so last night and everything was sweet. Just this arvo, turned the car on, and after a couple of minutes the battery light came on again.

So for now i have parked it in the garage. The battery reads 12.15V when the car is off, but when started, it reads 11.95, dropping .01V every 30 secs or so. Anyone have any ideas? don't really wanna drive it again lest i fry another alternator... The reco one is warrantied but if the car's causing the problems they might not help.

Cheers guys
Dicko

may not be related to your problem but i had problems with mine a few months ago and to cut a long story short, it turned out to be the leaking powersteering pump dripping on and into the alternator and stuffing it. got both fixed and all good now. good luck with it

I have this same issue...

Alt fried for unknown reason from motor from wreckers, alternators can take a ton of oil and not fail, ask any diesel mechanic. Some say it kills them though too... I had mine rebuild, all but the rectifier was replaced, then the rectifier went! Then they rebuilt it, and stuffed up putting the brushes in and rebuilt them again, and stuffed it up again, then rebuilt them again, alt then charged as normal, then it shorted and started a fire. Im over alternators.

I would check to see if the power steering fluid has been leaking down on to the Alt..this is a common probalem and if not sorted WILL fry your alt..and at for us in NZ over $200 for a second hand unit let alone trying to rebuild it..this is a easy way of making sure the alt you have will last..(my alt had some PS fluid running through it..but I just sprayed the living jesus out of it with decreaser and then flooded it with water to clean it out-i was amazed with how much oil come out-this was of coarse done not running..)

yeah thought that may have been the prob, but the ps pump & rack were replaced about 2 months ago with rebuilt ones, also that would have fried the coils and the coils aren't rewound when they rebuild it... anyway the guy at the shop is pulling it apart again and having a look, we tested it and at idle it was only putting out 1.2 volts, up to 5 or 6 when revved. will have to wait and see what happens.

I had the same problem 2 year ago. Similar cause as BIG was mentioning. My power steering hose was leaking. The fluid leaked down to alternation. I went through 4 alternators before I found out. Luckily, the alternator was lifetime warranty. The sale's man was too happy about it.