Cams?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I've done 60 000 km on my welded and reground exhaust cams - still look great.
During the grind the base circle is machined by about 12 thou.
So the next generation thicker shims are needed. A shim bank would not work as everyones shims would be too thin. 12 thou is heaps. A noisy shim is only 3 thou too thin. That tap tap tap tap noise is from thin shims.
2.5 years ago when I did mine the extra thick shims had to be imported from Japan - took ages and ages.
Now they are in stock. $13 Aud each delivered in 2 days to my door. I just changed over 4 tonite.
Now all my intake gaps are spot on 8 thou and all the exhaust gaps are spot on 12 thou.
I can't believe that I put up with the exhaust shim tap tap tap tap for so long - at the time I just wanted to get the car on the road - didn't want to wait another month to get the thicker shim.
When I ordered the 16 new exhaust shims and fitted them, one was just a bit undersized - I mean it was the the right part - I just ordered the wrong one - must have stuffed up a measurement.

exhaust cam lobes after 60 thousand kms. I am using the genuine Toyota tool to hold the bucket down to change the shim.

Using a feeler gauge I could not detect any extra wear between base circle and the shims after 2.5 years and 60 000 km. The lobes still look fine and the oil analysis hasn't shown any extra wear metals as yet. I was quoted a life of around 60 000km. I do have 2 sets of stock cams ready to go - but it all looks good so far. I change the oil and filter 5000km at most - usually less due to trackdays.

The other photo is the four old shims, real old shims in background - very accurate Micrometer, Toyota shim change tools - press and the stay, magnet, feeler gauge and bent screwdriver to pluck out shims.

Pete,

Whilst your cams have lasted 60,000km what did they cost?

I was under the impression it was around $2,000 and you are very limited in what grind you can apply to a stock cam without heaps of welding which will add to the cost.

A shim bank would work when people are not grinding the base circle. If you used new cams the base circle would be the same as standard. You could if you wished make them a couple of thou over size and know you could get shims easily from the bank.

$540 + gst for the exhaust cams back then.
MOre details are on planetsoarer.com - look under camshafts - there are three pages on the cam swap.

By eye I can't spot any wear on the reground cams after 60 000 kms. I don't know how long they will last - but so far they still look great.

New cams would be nice - I still don't know anyone who supplies new cams - weld and grind is still the only option?

My grind was too mild I believe.

While I never did get a before and after dyno - the sound and a small lumpy idle have resulted. Perhaps the engine revs quicker when given a blat as well.

This dyno graph shows my car competing with another Soarer that had always had more power than me. Maybe it was the cams that gave me the same power and more power for longer in the rev range.

By eye my exhaust cams have a longer duration than the "pointy" stock cams.

Yes I agree from that photo anyway your cams do look great. Porsche V8 cams i.e the 928 don't like to be welded at all. They fail in street applications. The cams are made from chill cast iron, a very durable material, what are the Lexus cams made from?

so for someone like me that doesnt have too much money (in college) i could simply buy 1995-1997 1uz intake cams for my 1990 ls400 and i will get a decent gain?
thanks

Drizt said:
Has anyone bought any cams from these guys (tmiller)
http://www.1uzquadcam.co.nz/
????

They claim to get 345rwHP out of their rally car with their 8 throttle bodies and slight head work... Just wondering if anyone has bought stuff from them, and what their experiences have been like?

would love to see some dyno sheets from their beast..

o and some movies..
Just going by the dyno on their site, and the dyno of my car
Both cars have similar breathing mods (they have ITB's and extractors, I have twin throttles and extractors).
They have 350thou lift reground cams (8.9mm), springs, but stock heads and stock bottom end (as they claim).

Here is a quick excel compare of the 2 dynos.

You will see that no bottom end power seems to be lost.

Nice power curve with those cams, looks like they did their homework, didn't over do it, or maybe they did a little, but the itbs got the bottom end back again.
I tried to get ahold of those guys a year or two ago, never responded, figured they were too busy adjusting their itbs.

Does any one have a full set of cams from a 1uz-fe that i can borrow for 6 months - a year. Tighe Cams want a set so they can get around to making blanks. i would also like a set out of a 2UZ the toyota 4.7 litre but i know they will be hard to come by.
if anyone out there has a set it would do great for the cause. if you can help please send me a PM ( they don't have to be in good condition)

turns out the company in NZ are closing getting out of the buisness completley so it doesn't look like they will be coming up with the goods.

"Retraction"
Turns out a company in NZ may be closing but it is Not Kelfords.

Camshafts

Hi guys, after reading the above i went digging,and found this http://www.kelford.co.nz/ , they are advertizing 1uzfe cams , so i gave them a ring, spoke to Peter, very helpfull guy, they are definately available, and no they are not getting out of the industry, he said he has them for turbo s/c or what ever you want .At around $1700 +gst nz i have given him this site address so he can fill us all in on the details, sounds like the wait was worth it.
Best Regards
Lambo

Hey everyone, Kevin here, owner of Kelford Cams NZ, we are definatly not going anywhere, in fact we are expanding to meet international demand, installing CNC machinery and setting up a network of dealers worldwide.
Our 1UZ cast billet cams have been available for a couple of months now and are being used in many applications. In NZ we have been racing these engines for a hell of a long time, in jet boats, dirt track stock cars, rally cars, hillclimb and circuit cars etc, and we have been involved in development since day one so you could say we know a bit about them. eg the stock car ports we have done go 300cfm @28", use 430 lift with 253@ .050" 10 to one comp a single four barrel and make a easy 430-450 HP

Any grind is available for any application, we are also about to produce adjustable centre gears so lobe separation is able to be altered, this could be handy for the people fitting superchargers so they can advance the exhaust cam without moving the intake, the design and testing has been done, we are just waiting on pricing from the gear grinders, hopefully these will be available in May. various valve spring packages and titanium retainers are also available.

We do have a few common cams listed on our website www.camshaftshop.com and will be adding more, but if you need anything just e mail me and ask.

In fact if you want cams and e mail me mentioning this message post we will do them for NZ$1400 a set.

Happy motoring
Kevin Ban
[email protected]

Thats like $1300AUD

man, I might have to order a set next month...

I'll have to give you a call a week after easter or so.

How much is postage, and is it possible to avoid customs duty/tax on importing these?
Otherwise its about 20% duty.

camshaft guy said:
eg the stock car ports we have done go 300cfm @28", use 430 lift with 253@ .050" 10 to one comp a single four barrel and make a easy 430-450 HP
What are the specs on those heads? What lift do they flow that 300cfm at? Oversized or standard valves? 3 angle valve job? etc etc. These motors keep looking better and better to me! If we can just come up with a solid base for resleeving the blocks and stroking the cranks to use small journal SBC rods, these motors at 5+ liters would be AWESOME, N/A or FI, they'd be awesome! I'm suprised how well these heads supposedly flow for being narrow valve angle heads! With GE heads these things would be insane....

Freight and Heads

There are a few freight options, the cost is minimal, i think to get a set FEDEX two day is only around 175, but there are cheaper options than that again.
I thought NZ and AUS had a free trade agreement, meaning you only need to pay gst, but I will check on that and let you know.

The heads we did that go just over 300 cfm (@.475" lift) use 2mm oversize valves and the port is lifted right up into the spring base then the floor filled in to achieve the desirable short turn height, port cross section and air speed for the rpm we run. that was four years ago, I am sure we can do better now. If anyone wants super serious heads for the top level of motorsport give us a shout.

Attachments

• DV00032.jpg
    DV00032.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DV00034.jpg
    DV00034.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DV00036.jpg
    DV00036.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 157
  • DV00038.jpg
    DV00038.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DV00040.jpg
    DV00040.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 153
Not sure about the free trade agreement.

One of the guys I work with is from NZ, and he got his brother to send over a manifold that he didn't bring with him.
So his brother posted it, and put $2000 value for insurance purposes (it is worth that btw).
Anyway, it gets here, and he gets slapped with $430ish worth of duty/customs.
Plus the $250ish worth to post it.

So he paid an extra $700 for something he already owned.

Kevin,

What would a set of heads modified as you described with the larger valves and welded ports plus a set of cams cost in NZ?

Could be worth popping over for the day to pick them up and carry them back in!

If you did that you could also do some duty free shopping.