Cam question (odd, but need to know)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cjsupra90

does anyone know on the stock cams (intake) are there multipule cam pulley drive pin holes? Meaning that the cam pulley could be installed in a different position then stock. if so, does anyone know off hand know what the degree interval is between them? Thanks in advance

Chris

From what I can see you could only move the cam 1 whole tooth of the scissor gear which from memory equates to 8degrees.

The gear can't be moved on the cam. You need to rotate the cam and gear compared to the exhaust cam.

Ok, just to make sure that we are all on the same page here, I have supplied a drawing of what i am refering to. although I think that I already know the answer and I am going to need to moddify a cam gear, I just want to make sure. Again, Thanks in advance.

Woodruff key on the cam.

I knew knowing the correct name for a key in a slot would be handy.

You could machine new slots in both cam and pulley to give a course vernier adjustment. I can't see enough gain for the effort.

offset key wont work, I need 45 degrees offset. my reason is that i need to phase one of the dist. rotors 45 degrees to make them both at the same point or on a 90 degree phase interval from eachother. basically either 0 degree, 90 degree, 180 degree or 270 degree in relationship to eachother not 45 degree as stock form. this is not to change cam timing in any way, but for ign. firing with the standalone system that I am currently using. by doing this and changing where the ign. high tension leads hook to, I will one, be able to use left bank dist. to fire left back cyl.'s and right bank dist. to fire right bank cyl.'s so no long lead to crisscross the the motor ( but will need custome wires ) shorter obviously being better, and second, i will be also creating a waste spark setup by doing so and firing both coils at the same time. this is all due to the fact that my standalone that I am currently using is only capable of firing a normal single coil and single 8 terminal dist. when used on an 8 cyl. engine unlike the Lex/Toy setup being basically two 4cyl. units.

if anyone would be interested, this configuration could be done with the standard EMS by tapping both coil triggers leads together but using diodes in the negitive leads the are used by the ECU ( this is to keep out any back feeding into the ECU when one is triggered and the other is not from the ECU's standpoint ) then split it back into the two coils. I would recomend changing the coils with units that are intended for a single dist. 8 cyl. engine as you would be cutting the saturation time in half for each coil campared to what they were designed for. ( 4 fires per crankshaft revolution insted of 2 where as a standard 8 cyl. unit is designed for 4 fires per crankshaft rev. ) the other thing is some form of ign. amplifer (MSD or what ever) I know that MSD units are capable of firing two coils at the same time with no loss of energy. also allowing the use of only on box not two. the only promblem area that I am not aware of is how this would affect the RPM signal for the EFI and or tach. this is where I think the use of a tach adpter as you would in a normal setup and the use of the doides would eliminate any sort of problems. I have used a simular type of conversion on Rotarys that are running a distibutor. I works great. If anyone is interested in the conversion or might see a problem that I am not seeing, please feel free to ask or tell me.

Thanks again for all of your input as this helps with one of my predetermined problem that I need to solve before I setforth and buy an engine and do the actual swap into my MKIII supra.

Chris