Bullet supercharger with VVTI

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Christopher W.

I am putting a 1uzfe in my 1987 4Runner. I am going pretty much all out. I say that so I don't get those responses that are based on a budget minded build. This will be a full on build. I am going 4link rear 3link front, sas and a supercharged 1uz, custom exterior and interior.

I am planning on using the Bullet kit and going with the Eaton TVS. I have emailed Bullet four times this week with no response.

Well, I just bought this 1UZ-FE from TTLex. I did not buy his twin turbo setup. I do plan on running the Autronic SM4.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14696

Today I figured out that it is a VVTI engine out of his 2000 GS400. TTLex is running a haltech and the vvti is not activated with his tt setup.

Since reading tonight I have figured out that the Bullet universal supercharger kit doesn't work with the vvti heads. Or so I have read. I have emailed them again but being the weekend and not having much luck getting a response out of them anyway, I am needing some info.

Is it true the bullet kit doesn't work with vvti heads? Do they have a kit that will work with vvti heads? Can you modify a non vvti manifold to work with vvti engine?

If there is not a straight forward way to make this work I will just sell the heads and buy non vvti heads....just didn't see this complication coming as I haven't even got the engine yet.

I am a newbie to the 1UZ-FE F/I world. I am not interested in turbocharging.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Christopher,

most Australian companies close for a break the week before Christmas (sometimes earlier) and a week or two after.
A lot of companies will be opening again this coming Monday, the 9th of January, but it depends on the company. That would probably explain why you haven't heard back from Bullet yet.
cheers
peter

There is a member on here with a VVti and supercharger. Most of his photos are on his facebook page. His user name is V8hilux and here is a link to one of his latest posts so you can get his details. He isnt that active on here at the moment. He lives locally to me and does some awesome work. Cheers

There is a member on here with a VVti and supercharger. Most of his photos are on his facebook page. His user name is V8hilux and here is a link to one of his latest posts so you can get his details. He isnt that active on here at the moment. He lives locally to me and does some awesome work. Cheers

Thanks Gloverman, I just PMed him about ten minutes ago. I am hoping he can sort me out on this. I am beginning to believe my best bet is to just sell the entire intake and heads and get non vvti heads and go from there. This is going to be an outdoor toy..not like it is a race car or anything.

Thanks again..

Last edited:
I feel the VVti motor is better for offroad as they offer far better power delivery ( they do need the VVti to be working) and are much more waterproof due to the COPs. These mean there is no chance of water in dizzy caps or tracking / arcing leads. If one coil fails you still have seven to get home on where as if one fails on an early motor you only have half a motor to get home on. Or just strap a smallish turbo onto it to make it suit offroading. Does the SM4 do VVti correctly? Cheers

Bullet make a VVTi manifold, have a look on their site maybe under Landcruiser or 2UZ kits

That was what I was thinking but I am not up on all of the variations of the engine series and different manifolds and their interchangeability. I really want to keep what I have. Until about a week ago I was going to just use one of the stock LS400 engines I have and stay n/a. Now I have decided to complicate things..

I was also thinking the same thing about COP and off roading.

When you ask does the SM4 do VVTI correctly..I don't know about correctly. I have read that it can control vvti. But there is a lot of information I am trying to gleen and I am still very unsure about how it would work. I feel a lot of people on the internet don't really know either. It seems very complicated. I am willing to pay to have it work correctly but I am not very sure yet who can answer these questions.

It sure seems you Aussies and Kiwis have more options.

I have read about downloading the vvti maps into an aftermarket ecu. This is all way over my head. :confused:

I am hoping for the, "Oh, call so and so. He's has it all figured out," post. :D

I am at the end of a six year 20B N/A build on a second gen RX7. I am kind of researched out. On this I just want to find someone that can sort it out and I pay. ;)

I guess worse case scenario is I get the proper manifold setup and continue like TTLex using the heads with the vvti deactivated. He certainly was putting down lots of horsepower. Since this is in a 1st gen 4Runner I am not trying for high rpm horsepower...I will take it though. I want the vehicle to run smooth, consistent and with plenty of grunt to move 37" tires and put a smile on my face. The bling factor as well..

Last edited:
I just made the, "Oh, call so and so. He's has it all figured out," phone call!! :D

I talked to SRT (Swift Racing Technologies) who built and tuned the engine. The factory ecu IS running the vvti!! The Haltech is doing the rest.

I am going to get a factory 2000 GS400 ecu to run the vvti. SRT is going to put together a piggy back that runs the performance parameters of the engine. I am running a R151F trans with twin Marlin tcases so no worries there.

No to be cryptic but he said to watch for upcoming release of new items that will make my project much more simple. I feel very confident after my conversation with dude at SRT. Let's say they have taken a big interest in the 1UZ-FE VVTI. ;)

So I have the 4Runner, engine, trans and tcases. Now I need to get the Diamond axles built and the 4link and 3link built. Then the whole thing has to get assembled....body work and interior as well. Oh yea, wait to hear from SRT.

Sounds easy right!?!?

Last edited:
what exactly has srt have on ofter? Anything good for a twin turbo 1uzfe vvti in a 180sx s13?

I don't mean to be obtuse but the owner of SRT asked me to stay quite until they release what is in the works. That is suppose to be in a couple of months. That probably means six months. I guess I am sort of staying quite..

It pertains specifically to my project and not to a twin turbo system. Although they are very knowledgeable in that department. My long block is coming from a vvti tt setup they built.

Last edited:
Here is a response I got from V8Hilux;

Hey mate, it is definitely worth keeping the vvti heads! Also from bullet cars, they do a 2uz manifold that has inbuilt intercooler, this is what i am using and it bolts up fine to my vvti 1uz.

http://www.bulletcars.com/parts/engi...ine-parts.html

This manifold is a thing of beauty.

Here is a link to myfacebook with some photos of my build.

Any questions let me know!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=7ffaa59357

__________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the responses I finally got from Bullet asking about the using a vvti head;

Our 2uz manifold will bolt straight on but is taller.
It does have an internal intercooler also.

Tom Rabold

Bullet Performance Products

P 61 7 3382 0018
F 61 7 3382 0019

Many of you might already know this but at least it is all here for reference in one place.

I am many months away from getting to a point to order a supercharger. I know if things state side don't materialize I will be using the Bullet system with the 2uz kit and intercooler.

Last edited: