Best option for 4WD. TT1UZ or 1UZ+M112

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cuh8er

Hi all,
Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are.
I have a Landcruiser troopy that i'll be installing a 1UZ into very soon.

Initially I will be running the stock ECU, but my question is, due to the weight of the car (1800kg's if I remember correctly), I will be looking at some sort of FI to make it more drivable.

Torque is high-ish on my list of wants as i'll be going bush from time to time, but since i'll be running the stock H55F, I don't want to smash the box/transfer either.

Now I can see my 2 real options are either a M112 + manifolding running around 6-8psi, or a TT setup.

At the moment i'm liking the SC route, being a slightly cheaper option, but i'm curious to get others' opinions on the subject.

Cheers
-G-

Attachments

• propan4.jpg
    propan4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3
For 4WD, I vote the SC. It gives instant torque from idle, whereas you have to wait for the turbo(s) to spool up....

If you're in rocks, you don't spend much time near the redline. Sand and mud do see alot more time in the upper rpm's, but only for short periods of time... not long enough to make the turbo's extremely useful.

I think you'll have less reliability/maintenance issues with the SC as well, due to the position it gets mounted in... (further from debris)

Here is a M112 in a Mustang Cobra.

dyno11.jpg

As you can see the torque is just crazy at very low rpm. Full torque at 2,500 rpm.

Why not a 2UZFE instead of 1uzfe?

I havent seen any but, are there any good examples of a 2uz with a supercharger? after hocking off my 240 i was thinking a tocoma with a 2uz would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I was leaning towards the M112 because of the torque available from idle pretty much.

91_4x4runner is right, I have already aquired the 1UZ so I was planning on sticking with that. Plus, this build isn't intended to be top shelf. I just want reliability, but also a package that does the job without spending a fortune.

Another question, what's the difference between running the M90 to 7psi, versus running the m112 upto 7psi? Obviously due to the M112's larger volume, it'll provide the air easier, but will they both perform the same?

Thanks again

If 6 psi is all you are looking for. Then I would suggest sticking with M90. Its smaller and will take less hp to produce 6 psi. Matter of fact I missed my bid on ebay for a M90. It was only 9.99 USD and I forgot to bid on it. The item ended without any bid.

I would like to retain the standard ECU for starters and I believe I should be right to 8psi.
Maybe you can ask the seller if he want's to sell it to you now the auction has finished? 9.99 is a damn good price. Even if it is only an M90.

Thanks Lex I was aware yes.
Obviously the 112 is a better option, which is why I've been watching your thread on fitting one to the Richwood manifold.

Because it's in a Landcruiser, I won't have any hood clearance issues, but I'm keen to see the charger finished and bolted to your engine.

Have they fixed the problem with the charger overhanging the back of the manifold?

I missed a 112 yesterday on Ebay, was in very good condition and went very cheaply in the end too.

Unless you have already gotten a blower and started fabbing, I would not write off a turbo setup. If you look back into the 80's you will see the Buick GNX had a 3.8 litre (pretty close to 4.0L) pushrod V6 with a single little T3 that made 300 hp all day long and 330+ lb ft of torque with very little lag. Turbos have gotten much better and with 4.0 Litres to play with, you could make an easy 320 lb ft from about 1500 rpm with ease. It would probably make close to 350 hp as well. I have used Turbonetics stuff for a long time with great success. I would suggest a TO4E 60 trim compressor and a Stage 3 .63 A/R exhaust housing with a large external wastegate set to just 6 psi and a fair sized intercooler due to the highish compression in the 1UZ. Though the stock EFI will have a tough time keeping up with it. A piggy back system will probably be needed for fueling as the revs come up.

Interesting idea GSMnow. I've never really heard of anyone (ever) using a turbo setup for torque off idle. I would imagine the SC to be much more predictable on the rocks, whereas the spool-up on the turbo might be difficult to control?