Bellhousing adapter for th350/400 and powerglide

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

UTA LS

I've been doing a little research for a swap project i'm planning on a mitsubishi starion with a 1uz and it looks like castlemain rod shop already sells an adapter plate for the Th350/400 and powerglide. I'm not too sure what flexplate you would use, possibly the stock one just redrilled for the GM torque converter pattern. Has anyone tried the swap?

It isn't as simple as just redrilling the Toyota flexplate to suit the GM t/c.

You also need to ensure the spigot on the t/c is the correct size for the Toyota crank. It also has to be the corect length as the t/c moves back and foward as the trans works. That's why the flex plate is desgned to flex and (obviously) where it got its name.

The t/c must be centred to within 10thou to ensure it doesn't vibrate.

wow, had no idea the flexplate was actually supposed to flex..... JW here sells billet aluminum flexplates........ they probably don't flex too much.

I have access to a full machine shop and a decent cnc mill that my friend can program, its quite possible for me to make my own new flex plate out of just about anything. I've been running a mill and lathe for about 60 hours a week for almost a year now, have a decent idea of what's going on with those.

10 thousandths is HUGE to be off center, you could almost drive a truck through that. Down in the shop we are usually within 2 thou, less if its that important. after my project moves to the drivetrain phase I'll produce a small run of flexplates that use a standard GM torque converter for the few people out there that may want it.

10thou is sizable. That's about 1/4 of a millemetre. You can see that very clearly with the naked eye.

Most shops will work to 30thou on transmissions and that's enormous.

Looks like you have the machining covered.

Keep us all posted how it goes.

There is another way, using a toyota bellhousing, bellhousing to pump adater, stock flexplate and a converter made for this setup.

Red Supra,

I'm building up an old Torqueflite 3 speed to handle the power of my new engine.

If you do a Websearch under "ultrabell" you should find a US company building bellhousings that bolt onto torqueflite tans.

They cut the t/f bellhousing off and mount a new housing to the pump bolts. This swap can handle 1,000hp so should look after our engine's output.