Bad Brake Pads?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Bendrx

Hey all, I've recently installed new rotors, Baer Holdings drilled and slotted with Advanced Auto store brand pads on all corners. I was going to get the EBC pads but since I decided to do this at the last minute on my vacation I was short the money so got the cheapos. I'm wondering if the pads are just a bad part or if it's me here. Round 1: Crazy loud brake noise but excellent and firm stopping. I remedied the noises by getting a new fitting kit, I think they're as quiet as they used to be. There was always some noise from the suspension. I had damaged 2 of the lower clips on the fitting kit that keep it quiet. Round 2: Quiet but clearly unsafe. With the new fitting kit the inner pads don't seem to fit in the bracket with the replaced clips. I wasn't able to get them in all the way by hand, and since it was getting dark quickly (I don't have a garage or even a drive way to work on, just the back yard) I slapped the caliper around them and used the brake system to push them into place. I assume they are in, but since they brakes feel very spongy now, maybe not. I will tear into it again after work to see for sure. My thoughts right now are to grind down the ends (not the friction material) of the pads so they fit like the OEM ones, but I wonder if I'm just doing something wrong. As another note, the sponginess isn't consistent, at first they were very spongy then slowly got a bit firmer. Under medium (and I assume hard, but haven't tried) braking they are simply beautiful. The issues are just with low force. I also hear a drone sound once in a while, I'm assuming this is the pad rubbing against the rotor. If it matters, when I took my rotors off the 2 retaining screws on the front rotors were missing, they've been this way I would assume for at least 4 years. I ordered 4 new ones at 2 bucks a pop, got the first 1 in 3/4th and it stopped treading and stripped the head all to hell, this was me using one hand with a screw driver. It took a drill to get it out. Anyways due to that experience I'll be leaving them out, and possibly even removing them from the rears when my stainless brake lines get in. Also, I've been doing my own brake work since I was 18 (so 7 years), on various cars to include my old AW11 (MR2) so this isn't my first time working with brake systems. Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to mention the car - '94 LS400

After letting it sit over night, feels and sounds alot better (consistant). The noise I'm hearing is def. the pads hitting the slots on the rotors. The time between "noises" increases proportionate to the speed of the car. I'm pretty confident it will be a easy fix tonite. But still interested in thoughts and suggestions. I'm pretty sure all modern pads are compatible with slotted rotors, but that's just an assumption. Once I get the pads to fit like the OEMs did we'll see. Thanks.

Looks like I have it figured out. The 2 clips I replaced the inner lower clips, and long story short I had the left in the right and the right in the left. They looked the same to me, but one of the 2 I pulled out was partially melted and eaten up by the rotor. I put in another one of the same style and it fit differently, it fit much better. Luckily I just bought a whole set so had 2 more sitting in a bag in my trunk. I did file down the ends of the passenger side slightly, and that one is now perfect, the other side I didn't file thinking the clip was the sole issue, it rubs when I turn right, but not left. So either filing should be the key, or I've got a wheel bearing going out. didn't want to push my luck so called it quits pretty early. Will give it another shot after work. I gave them one good "run" today, fairly hard on the pedal but not nearly as fast as possible, all 4 tires chirped for a moment and regained traction with no bias to either side. Prefectly smooth and as they should be. I'm going to order a set of the EBC Red Stuffs, and Wilwood fluid when I change out my lines to SS.

Sorry to hear about the trouble that you had. But as you stated, they weren't on the right side and that's why they caused the vibration/rattling. The pads and rotors should be fit right into the slots if they're on the right side. They shouldn't be ground for any reason, even for the cheapo. The pads are always smaller than their brackets, and the retaining spring/clips will keep them in place with a little movement to allow in-and-out grip when you step or release on the brake. Without these springs, the brake will squeak crazily.

The little rotor screws aren't really needed. Once the rotor is centered and the wheel is held in place, the rotor will stay centered.