Autometer Gauge install

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

smokeysevin

Hey everyone I have an 01 tundra v8 and my gauge cluster is on the way out, I was wondering what all it would take for me to swap a full autometer setup into the dash. I figured I would change the gauges and try my best to keep the rest of the dash stock (warning lights and odometer ) Is this possible with the tundra or would it more than just a pain in the butt. money is not really an option here i just needed the excuse to spring for them.

thanks,
Sean

That's funny you bring this up. I have a Tacoma and I'm about ready to ditch the whole instrument cluster. I'm kinda undecided... leaning towards putting in a set of Autometers though. I would just use a GPS for a speed reading. I just got a GPS from a friend today and the thing rolls up the MPH super fast. I was surprised how quickly it reads speed so I don't think I'll miss the stock speedo much at all. I'm just contemplating how the aluminum would look instead of the stock unit.

I made this piece to hold all my gauges just in front of the instrument cluster in an RX-7 I had. It worked great. But if I do this for my truck I'll just make a complete replacement piece for all of them - and run the GPS in the spot where I want the speedo reading. The GPS's out today are so slim I would just leave a blank space and mount it there. I'm not sure just how deep your instruments are from the front of the dash but you might be able to make something like this.

They make all sorts of little digital panels that you can mount in your truck that have readouts for you to monitor. People usually get them for looks but they make some race car style ones that are much better but expensive. Any way you do it... it's a pain. They make digital sensors that can be hooked up with wire signal leads instead of running an oil line (for oil pressure) or vacuum line etc etc. But those are more $ and aren't worth it IMO.

tacoma_1uzswap_65.jpg

autometer hehehehe
surely u can find a better brand of gauges out there
overpriced wheel chocks
thats what they are

I know I know. I've just had these forever and want to use em again. I guess I could sell them off. That would just take up time. It's amazing how simple they are and how few parts. Yet they cost a ton of money.

Have you got any better ideas for a dash with gauges? I don't want to put them sprinkled around the dashboard or on the pillar above the dash line. I just want to keep them all in one place.

thats ok if u have them then use them
just over here in australai if u need to buy them from scratch they are blody expensive

They are pretty expensive here but i want the new look and the working gauges. does anyone know what it would take to swap them in?

Sean

Have to make a custom panel to mount them. Then the oil line from the oil temp or pressure will have to run down through the dash and to the engine. The ling to the water temp is also a copper line filled with Boron I think. The probe that you have to plumb into the waterneck is copper and the water heats that up which in turn heats the inside of the copper tube and transmits the heat to the gauge in the dash. It's a solid line but it's kinda flexible. It would be hard to put them in front of the stock cluster since you have to run those lines behind them. You would have to drill a couple holes. But if you remove the cluster it will be a lot easier to make a aluminum panel to mount them to. Just cut it out in that shape and get some hole saws to drill out the 1 3/4" holes or whatever the are.

if they are all electric gauegs then u can use original wiring and make a plug to suit the new gauges

if they are mechanical like above said they are a fiddly

thats y it costs around 500 to 800 i guess or more to make up a nice panel for the dash with all the gauges and wired up if u want to pay someone for a nice looking job