Auto Trans Oil?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fugly

Recently had a auto trans failure(CROWN 30-41LE), fitting another second hand box
Noticed some dicussions on oils, i used DEXRON III in the last box
On the dipstick it says T-II , went to the local CASTROL agent asked them about this oil ,never heard of it!!!
They looked up LS400 in there computer, said to use TRANSMAX Z, priced a 20L $310.95 , it is a syntetic ,but WTF.
Next stop the local toyota dealer, when said T-II they said use DEXRON III.
Does this sound right? interested in your personal experiences with oils

fugly said:
Recently had a auto trans failure(CROWN 30-41LE), fitting another second hand box
Noticed some dicussions on oils, i used DEXRON III in the last box
On the dipstick it says T-II , went to the local CASTROL agent asked them about this oil ,never heard of it!!!
They looked up LS400 in there computer, said to use TRANSMAX Z, priced a 20L $310.95 , it is a syntetic ,but WTF.
Next stop the local toyota dealer, when said T-II they said use DEXRON III.
Does this sound right? interested in your personal experiences with oils
Yea.. transmax Z is a killer...

Cairns toyota should have told you the correct fluid was "toyota type IV".. They keep it on the shelf..

Considering cairns toyota is also lexus... thats useless...

If they screw you around, i'll get the part number for you on friday or sat...

Ben

edit : try toyota part number "[font=Arial, Helvetica]08886-81015" - Should be about $23/4L

[/font]

Thanks Ben, i was hoping to find out what this TOYOTA type II or IV oil cross references to in oil company name/number, usually cheaper non genuine, if not genuine will have to do.
What oil where you using when your trans failed & what sort of failure was it?

fugly said:
Thanks Ben, i was hoping to find out what this TOYOTA type II or IV oil cross references to in oil company name/number, usually cheaper non genuine, if not genuine will have to do.
What oil where you using when your trans failed & what sort of failure was it?
I used transmax-z to top up the old auto, but I had a bad feeling about the first auto from the day I drove it.. just never felt right. From what i've been told, my first auto stripped one of the internal shafts.. (I'll know further when I get time to clean up the shed and strip the box down.. I'm going to look at fixing it myself so I have a spare)

My new one, i'm just running the toyota stuff.. (23/4L isn't a bad price) and it seems fine. I'm sure this box is a good one as well...

I'll stick to the toyota stuff from now on.. if its what they were designed for why not run it?

It wouldn't suprise me if the reason the first gearbox's car got turned into a 1/2 cut was the trans problem....

O well.. all is good now ;-)

New/second hand gearbox is in & has handled its first test, i drove 350klms to my closest drag strip, raced it & drove it 350klms back home.
Yes i did end up using type-IV oil & yes it was $23 for 4L

Genuine fluid is cheaper than non genuine. Was quoted $310/20L of Castrol Transmax-J which is what castrol supply to dealers when they ask for a T-IV fluid.

Dexron will run fine in a gearbox with a shift kit.