Any Honda hotrodders here?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
I plan to use some Honda COP's for the next dyno run of my 1UZ, and I'm looking for the mating connectors with pigtails to fit them.

These coils are found on the S2000, Odyssey, and some late model Accords. The dealers I've talked with were pretty clueless, but I'm sure there must be some Honda parts "hookups" like we have with Toyota and Lexus?

I've posted on the various Honda boards but with no response, so I wonder if anyone here might know how to get these parts?

Here's what the connectors on the coil looks like:

Rod, we mentioned these coils briefly in this thread: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9736 and David showed a pic of them installed in post 23.

Here's a couple more pics, and as you can see in the last pic, they're a good bit longer than the Tundra/Landcruiser coils (145mm vs 125mm from the plug end up to the o-ring that seals to the plug tube):

Just received the pinout information for these coils, however I still don't have any connector information. If anyone has a Honda parts hookup, that info would be much appreciated.

BTW, these do have built in ignitors, so the ECU won't have to sink a huge amount of primary current on that trigger pin.

check k20a.org, looks like the K-series cop. I might have a set at my shop, not sure though, I'll check tomorrow

Attachments

• zorst 6.jpg
    zorst 6.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 8
  • zorst 5.jpg
    zorst 5.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 7
  • zorst 4.jpg
    zorst 4.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 7
  • zorst 3.jpg
    zorst 3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6
  • zorst 2.jpg
    zorst 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 7
  • zorst1.jpg
    zorst1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6
Yep, they're for the 2.4l, 4 banger. Thanks for the reference to the K20a.org website; I've emailed one of the OEM parts hookups there.

lol me and my brother are on k20a.org, I couldn't find those COP's man, I thought I had some from my pop's first s2k, but alas, nothing

And no reply yet from the Honda parts hookup (Bert-O). Can you recommend anyone where I could get these coil connectors & pigtails?

Much appreciated, or if you want to PM me their contacts, I'll try them? Failing that, I'll hit the junkyards, but I'd prefer to buy new connectors. If these are anything like the Supra coil connectors, they become brittle from all the heat in the DOHC head.

Herers some pics i took and posted in the "coil on plug" thread about 2 years ago.

DSC03667.jpg

DSC03666.jpg

John,

We have a 2001 MDX and I think it is the same. I can get the coil for sure but I might not the plug because most plugs are part of the complete harness.

John, if you haven't had any luck yet with finding the connectors, try contacting Hondata.... www.hondata.com

I doubt that they would have them, but if anyone might be able to tell you who you could get them from, it would be them, so give them a shout.

Cheers guys; Chris I'll contact Hondata and see what they say.

David, I'd be really surprised if Honda owners/mechanics can't buy coil connectors & pigtails like we can. Surely the Honda parts market is as well developed (if not more so) as Toyota? Unfortunately we just don't know how to "drive" their system like we do Toyota/Lexus. What I need is the Honda equivalent of Curt @ Elmhurst, or Jeff @ Champion.

Thanks for that Chris; I'll give them a try. I emailed Hondata but haven't heard back from them as yet.

The final word from BertO at Autoway Honda, and confirmed by Andy @ Manchester Honda, is that these connectors are not available through Honda. They sell only the engine harness for $368 (which I think is a bit steep to get only 4 connectors.....).

So this should definitely be a consideration for anyone looking at using these coils - the only connectors that'll be readily available will be junkyard pulls, and they'll probably be sufferering the same brittling problem that most used COP connectors have. Hmmm.....

John, the only other possibility is try to find out who is making the connecter itself and see if you can by then direct. My guess though is that its Sumitomo and I haven't found a way to by direct from them yet except in large bulk quantity but that might have changed cause I haven't checked into them in a while.

Heres a link. http://www.sws.co.jp/en/index.html

It almost looks like it would be the TS sealed series 040 unit

Chris, I agree, it looks like Sumitomo's P/N 6189-0892 could mate right up. I've sent them an email and we'll see what happens.

I have the Toyota Wiring Harness Repair book and this connector doesn't look like anything Toyota uses.

Next step is to hit the junkyard and cut some connectors & pigtails off a car and see if I can find any reference numbers on them.

Thanks again!

Have heard back from Sumitomo and they've referred me to their distributor Senko USA. Hoping to hear something positive from them.

I'm nearly ready to forget these Honda coils because of the hassles with the mating connectors. Even with the additional length of these coils, an extender will still be necessary for the way I intend to mount them (above the top of the valve cover), so I'm just about ready to say "screw it", and go back to the Tundra coils, and/or chase the Beru coils for the Porsche Cayman. These are supposed to be some 70mj coils.

At least with Toyota or Porsche coils, mating connectors are not a problem......