air suspension leak

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

nick11

Hi guys

I have a 91 UZ31. The air suspension has sprung a leak on the drivers side. It is only that wheel that sags. The pump seems to work fine, although it is constantly at work because of the leak. I can hear the leak coming from the top of the strut (i think that's what it's called) in the engine bay from underneath the round black cover that says "electronic modulated air suspension"
Does anyone know what specifically has given way, maybe some sort of "inexpensive" seal (wishful thinking, I know)
Is there anything i should know before i start pulling it all apart?

thanks for your help

Air Leak

Hi Nick11, Sorry Its not good news i am afraid, the top of the strut has a air tank built into the strut just below the black cover, at the very top under the cover is an actuator this adjusts the firmness of the shock by means of a shaft that goes down the centre of the shock , the other part of the actuatator controls an air valve inside the tank, to adjust the spring rate, the air is feed into the tank on the side through the side of the inner guard,from the solinoid assembly up the front of the car with the pump assembly the whole shock assembly will need to be replaced unless you can find a damaged air line or something, there is a company in the USA that reconditions the struts, but they are not a home repair unit, your best bet if you can't find a damaged line is to source a unit from a wrecker. the only thing i can think that may have happened is that the seals into the tank have failed, where the acuator enters the tank assembly,If you need more help just ask.

Best regards
Lambo

Just to add on a bit , be wary about replacing your unit with a secondhand one , it will be 15 odd years old also and as labour is a major part of the cost why not put something new in there , I mean you would be awfully piissed if you had to do it again in 6 mths !!

The name of the place that sells the recon units is Abotts and they run about $360.00 each for the rear and $390.00 for the front , awfully cheap when you consider yours lasted about 15 years and they still work as good as new til they spring a leak .
Oh yes , Abotts have a life time warranty on the airbags they use .

you guys are the best, thanks so much for your help

on the top of the shock under what i think you described as the actuator, is a black rubber that circles around, just inside from the edge. There's a crack in it and thats where the air is coming out from. It doesn't look like it comes out very easily (if at all), so looks like i need a new unit. Kiwi in Aus, do you have contact details for Abotts?

thanks heaps for your help guys

I have heard there was a company in Aus or NZ does rebuild them. However, I did the conversion four years ago and never look back again. ABSOLUTELY love it.

Nice find... i have never seen this before. I dont read Japanese, but make sure they are for Air Suspension equiped Celsior. None Air and Air are not interchangeable.

You can use babelfish to convert to english, you just have to install the japanese fonts on internet explorer
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
They are listed as being for ucf10/11/20/21, ucf11 being the air suspension model. Theys a guy in australia that buys them and get them posted here for a fee, but that was all included in the price

I would have thought that the coil and air stuts are interchangable