Aftermarket spoiler effect on ride height 1998 LS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Good article from AutoSpeed. Author has a 98 LS400 (1998-2000 same basic car) and used the headlight autoleveling ECU with a Fluke meter to measure average vehicle ride height at various dynamic road speeds (great idea).

He wanted to create a spoiler that improved the aerodynamics. Since most cars develop lift at speed it was very good to note the LS400 actually getting lower at speed. Unfortunately the cars very low coefficient of drag and soft suspension creates a less than confidence inspiring driving at high speeds.

Testing with 2 different DYI spoilers made the car ride higher! There is a reason these cars cost $60k new in 1998... engineering (and content)

http://autospeed.com/A_109937/cms/article.html

On a dragster or race car I can see that being of benefit...However, on a street legal LS400 I think it is a waste of time and money... What's the point? Even if the LS400 is boosted and the top speed is 150mph redlining, I don't think the aerodynamic's of a spoiler is going to effect things that much... It's automatic too and not on a track...

Just get some coilovers instead and lower the whole car instead, it will look better anyway... That's my take on it... Nice idea though...