A340 controler info and help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

400ZED

K dog is the guru on this front but others have experience too and this is one nut I want cracked as many people are interested in getting this box to work the way it should sharp and sweet. who has hydralic diagrams? is the pressure solenoid PWM or variable voltage?

I am running a a340 i have a switch setup to solenoid 1 and 2 and can get all four gears.
i am told not sending a signal to solenoid 3 the pressuere control solenoid will give me maximum line pressure.
solenoid 4 is torque converter lock up.
from the rear of the car the solenoid numbering syestem is 1-2-4-3.

Problems: i don't know if the behavour of the box is due to the electronics or the mecanics of the box are worn.
iS dextron 3 good for them?

symptoms. at low revs 1500-3000 it drops into second pretty hard
at 6000 it will flare all the way to the rev limiter and sound really crap not to mention being slow. and probably wearing bands and clutches.
2-3 and 3-4 are not so much of a problem but then i have not changed from second at 6000rpm.
with drive selected i only get engine braking in third this is what i expected.
i was toying with the torque lockup. idleing in 1st lock up converter and haypresto nothing. i have not done any more testing than this.

MV automatics modify the valve body will my a341 valve body fit in my A340 box. has any one had experience driving with a shift kitted box?

I don't believe Dextron is good for these boxes.

Toyota specify a certain oil and all reports say anything else don't work too good!

I would bite the bullet and buy the KDOG controller as it we all know it works, which will remove any doubt about you having the solenoids set up correctly.

From what I can glean the internals have slight variations (see Krayn's problem with a circlip) but see no reason why the valve bodys would not swap over.

If anyone needs a 340 or 341 I have one of each I won't be using.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Australian Lexus Soarer club should have the hydralic diagrams as part of the soarer bible, it comes at a small cost compared to the work involved. It is the complete Japanese Soarer manual translated to english. Other than that some people might have the US version floating around somewhere.

The S3.S4 solenoids are PWM controlled.

Dex3 is bad. Toyota type IV is the only fluid to use. Do a full flush of the system (including torque converter housing) which will take about 10 litres. This is the only way to be sure your gearbox is running properly. They will not work with other fluids, hydraulic pressure is the way these geraboxes run. If they don't have the correct fluid and level they won't run correctly.

I don't know about swapping the valve bodies. Knowing Toyota though they won't swap over, there will be something slightly wrong. MV can modify both valve bodies though so it shouldn't be a problem. Yes there shift kits are worth getting from my experience.

Iam making a controller at the moment for the A34xE, well its on the back burner until the current Delco on the 1UZ project is finished, and from what i could work out S1 and S2 are for selecting gears, S3 is the lockup converter and S4 is for the hydraulic transfer case if equiped. Can anyone confirm this???

I have access to all the factory service manuals, in english, through a friend who owns a transmission repair shop. I will try and get them in the next few weeks when i get closer to start more serious work on the controller, hardware is mostly done, but havnt even started on the control algorithms.

Forget my last post about the solenoids, that info was from a toyota manual but must have reffered to a 4wd version (thort they were still a 340 though??). Pulled the sump off the trans today and saw the 4 solenoids.

Valvebody.JPG

Is this the correct labelling???

400ZED - are u looking at building a controller to shift the trans automatically??

That is the correct labeling. I am trying to make my own controller tip tronic with an over rev protection. as i am running wolf it is not hard to get a output at 6000rpm to shift up also i am hoping to get a torque converter protection so that at 30 or 40 % load the torque converter will disengage. that is in an ideal world.
first thing i have it aet up with two switches to solenoid 1 and two (for anyone who wants to know these solenoids bleed pressure off when powered they don't re route it they just bleed pressure out of the gallerey they are attached to.)
this works but i am having some problems as detailed in my opening thread.
I am off to put a pressure guage on and see if i am leaking pressure or if i have worn clutches or brakes. or what haye you.

Thats some great info there JD.

In the pic above is that a 341E then as it has 4 solenoids?? Ive got an LS400/majesta motor but the box that was attached to it was 341E with the rubber coupling so i had it swapped for one with a slip yoke rear, that is the valve body of it in the above post, i understood this to be a 340E, maybe not??

Sorry to spoil your fantasy but the A340E has many incarnations.
One of them is behind the 1uzfe. It does indeed have 4 solenoids and is pretty much the same as the A342/1E.
Ask anyone with a v8 soarer, they will tell you they have an A340E.

In the future, if you don't know what you are writing about then DON'T write. There is more than enough crap on the internet.

KDog said:
Sorry to spoil your fantasy but the A340E has many incarnations.
One of them is behind the 1uzfe. It does indeed have 4 solenoids and is pretty much the same as the A342/1E.
Ask anyone with a v8 soarer, they will tell you they have an A340E.

In the future, if you don't know what you are writing about then DON'T write. There is more than enough crap on the internet.
Hmmm let me get this right.

I get a serve because a Soarer also uses a A340E. Well knock me silly with a rhythm stick, I'm so sorry as I didn't realise how crictical this info was for 400ZED to get his trans doo dad to work. But I guess it must be as he seems to agree with you.

Yet you experts confirm that the solenoid layout as per the pic above is correct. Hmmm you missed some more crap. Sheeez give me a break.

The electrics on these trans is simple as ABC and can easily be fooled, I've made several shift "boxes" for Jeep guys as it uses the same A series trans so a little hint 400ZED, yours won't work with that solenoid description.

KDog, no fantasy on my part mate as I was more than happy to help with this "box" but you're the expert so no problems I'm out of here and have deleted my wrong info !!.

JD