97 SC400 vs. 04 GTO

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xirforever

So i was pulling out of the bowling aisle parking lot when this very nice looking blue (very nice color) GTO pulls off right infront of me, we both pull out and make a right and hit the first stop light. My two friends in their car were ahead of me and the GTO pulled up next to them (us three were the only ones at this light). Well i could tell the GTO was looking for some action, and i got a look at the driver. He kinda floors it when the light turns green, and im not chase because he has 350 HP and he would dust me, or so i thought. I pull up next to my friend who was in the left lane (two lane road) and i was like hey look at that GTO, and my friend goes race him! I told him he would dust me and he was like who cares. So im like what the hell, why not. Speed limit on this highway type road was 45, GTO was going like 50. I kept trying to get him to slow down so we could start racing BELOW the speed limit, he didnt get the hints. So i finally pull up next to him and he just floors it, cought me off gaurd so i floor it too. He starts pulling away, kind of a bad start he got a huge leap. So we go at it again, this time very close start, and i actually pulled out ahead! Im guessing we were going pretty fast and i was still ahead, but he was gaining momentum. When he pasted me he was going a decent speed, but for 350 HP i was disapointed in his performance. If i had on my stock wheels, man i would have really givin him a run for his money (my stock wheels weigh 13 lbs lighter each, on back wheels makes a difference)! When we both pull onto the real highway i give him a thumbs up for driving a pretty clean car, and awsome color too. Im pretty much stock, i have aftermarket wheels, a real CAI but the pod filter i have is too small, redoing it all soon, and test pipes, msd would be a factor but its not working.

Moral of the story, GTO = not very fast for a 5.7 liter motor.

if that is the Aussie HOLDEN MONARO? i'm not supprised, i raced an SS UTE(same running gear) with 5.7 litre and manual and beat it to 80kmh(when the auto takes forever to change into second) and thats with a crown 1UZ with stock manifolds and 3.45 diff, not sure what my car weighs but at a guess 1400-1500KG?

Attachments

• startercircuit.jpg
    startercircuit.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
xirforever said:
So i was pulling out of the bowling aisle parking lot when this very nice looking blue (very nice color) GTO pulls off right infront of me, we both pull out and make a right and hit the first stop light. My two friends in their car were ahead of me and the GTO pulled up next to them (us three were the only ones at this light). Well i could tell the GTO was looking for some action, and i got a look at the driver. He kinda floors it when the light turns green, and im not chase because he has 350 HP and he would dust me, or so i thought. I pull up next to my friend who was in the left lane (two lane road) and i was like hey look at that GTO, and my friend goes race him! I told him he would dust me and he was like who cares. So im like what the hell, why not. Speed limit on this highway type road was 45, GTO was going like 50. I kept trying to get him to slow down so we could start racing BELOW the speed limit, he didnt get the hints. So i finally pull up next to him and he just floors it, cought me off gaurd so i floor it too. He starts pulling away, kind of a bad start he got a huge leap. So we go at it again, this time very close start, and i actually pulled out ahead! Im guessing we were going pretty fast and i was still ahead, but he was gaining momentum. When he pasted me he was going a decent speed, but for 350 HP i was disapointed in his performance. If i had on my stock wheels, man i would have really givin him a run for his money (my stock wheels weigh 13 lbs lighter each, on back wheels makes a difference)! When we both pull onto the real highway i give him a thumbs up for driving a pretty clean car, and awsome color too. Im pretty much stock, i have aftermarket wheels, a real CAI but the pod filter i have is too small, redoing it all soon, and test pipes, msd would be a factor but its not working.

Moral of the story, GTO = not very fast for a 5.7 liter motor.
Did you mean the new GTO? I agreed. For a GTO with 350 hp, although I think it's 400 hp, that's a disappointment with the GTO. Our SC400 is slow at rest stop, but once it kicks in after 40 mph, it changes its motion to be much more responsive. That's why I raced my SC mostly on the freeway. I believe a rebuilt torque converter can make me more confident at rest stop. You can imagine if you have a forced induction on your SC.

Well the new 04 GTO had the 5.7 liter making 350 hp, an dthe 05+ has a 6.0 liter motor making 400 hp. I raced the 5.7 liter auto, but still 5.7 liters vs my 4.0, lol i bet i embarrased him. jeese with forced induction on an sc.... scary!

I know this is a lexus site and I am not here to bash,(Especially since I own a GS400) but I have an 04 GTO and have handidly whooped several sc 400s in my area. I give much props to Lexus and my Gs is definately fast but my GTO is a beast compared to it. I will say this though, the lexus factory tune is better than the GTO. (especially the auto). The auto GTO is overly consevative and drastically reduces power in warm weather and the auto has torque management that backs power out. Most guys get that tuned out imediately but I guess some dont. Mine is a stick so my torque management isnt as drastic. The only problem I have is heat soak which I will do the iat relocate and get a more agressive dyno tune to resolve that. As a matter of fact, the last sc400 I beat was when I had bad heatsoak. Had just driven an hour straight to see my gf when a clean sc 400 pulled beside me at the light. I let him get the jump b/c wasnt sure if wanted to run. So after he hit it I hit it and had a full car on him by the middle of second. The guy was cool and gave a thumbs up afterwards.

I've got to agree with ggoat on this... A GTO mustang should spank a near stock non VVTi 1997 SC400 every time... I think the guy in the GTO was playing with ya Xirforever.. Although the SC400's do have a bit of kick at freeway speeds with the stock torque converter and with the ETC button activated... I remember when my SC400 was stock and that would be the only time I would dare race anyone.. That would be on a moving roll or on the freeway only...