97 runner 3.4L 4x4 to 1uz or 2uz thread and info

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jmt2404

Ok guys I am new to the site and have a few questions. I have been doing some research on this swap for some time now but just now getting serious about it. I am still learning and still am not where I would like to be knowledge wise before I take on this swap. I am looking into this swap because my current engine has a number of problems with it and I don't trust it (long stupid story). I have searched around but I haven't found a runner that has swapped a 3.4 out for a UZ motor, so thats why I am starting this one. Here is what I have now.

97 4runner limited 4WD.
3.4L (out of comision)
automatic tranny (not sure what model it is)
3" toytec lift (no body lift)
285/75 duratracs
tundra brakes
dual electric fans

There is much more to it but I figured thats the basics that you might need to know.

My questions are:

1) Which engine is best for offroading? 1uz or 2uz?
I drive mostly pavement and don't do alot of hardcore offroading
2) What transmission options do I have in order to keep my 4wd?
Push button 4wd like I have now L and H options would be great.

Attachments

• IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 10
Right this calls for a great big fat rum... While I answer it :D

Your engine options run from 1UZ to the UR engines. Sump don't matter too much as you could run the sump from the factory 2UZ 4runner without too many dramas. Trans to keep your existing 4wd setup you can use the 4 or 5 speed autos as the trans case is the same between the two what you need is everything off the back or your transmission, that is extension housing, coupler and transferbox, On the back of the V8 auto you drill and tap one hole to bolt the extension housing on, measure the length of the output shaft of your existing auto then an angle grinder falls on the V8 one to cut it to length. Alter the relucter for speed sensor number two on the V8 auto to suit the shortened shaft and ensure that the clearance for the sensor is correct on the now modified housing and bolt it together, Stick it in the hole and that's the easy bit over. Then you got to wire it up and make it go

So basically I was going to just try and find a newer but wrecked toyota 4runner or sequoia with the 2uzfe, automatic and 4wd and just transfer everything over from that..

My reasoning is that the 2uz was built to go into a truck and the 1uz is a luxury car and not made for offroading. Maybe thats the reason for the 2uz being heavier idk.. That is what I was tryin to find out before I jump on an engine.

Is that my best bet to spend the money on a running but totalled truck with a 2uz in it? So that I have the engine harness and tranny and all the rest of the little odds and ends that are needed.

That is what I am doing now. I bought a rolled Sequoia and will be transplanting it into my 99 limited 4runner.

DSC_0397.jpg

Will Start it this week and see how it goes.

How do you post pictures on this forum?

Last edited:
That is what I am doing now. I bought a rolled Sequoia and will be transplanting it into my 99 limited 4runner.

DSC_0397.jpg

Will Start it this week and see how it goes.

How do you post pictures on this forum?

Yeah I have been following you on t4r. Wished I could have gotten a good deal on those trucks you picked up...