92 Aus spec 4runner

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gus75

Hi guys,

Im looking at throwing away the 3.0ltr petrol POS and putting a 1uz in its spot.

The conversion itself isnt a problem but i cant seem to find any info on auto gearboxes.

I need to keep it auto as the minister of finance cant drive manual (tried many times and im running out of hair).

I've found a few boxes that will fit but they wont work with the transfer case.

Any info would be a great help.

Ben

You can't find any info because you didn't search.

I'm doing an auto. You can keep your a340H, but you need a bellhousing, input shaft/planetary assembly, oil pump and torque converter from either an LS/GS/SC 400 or a Tundra/LC/Sequoia (and extra cooling capacity for the trans). More info in my buildup thread (I opted for a newer a340f so I can run crawl boxes)

There are other threads about using autos also.

I used the original gearbox that came with the Crown (A341E) and had the transfer adapted to it. I did not do it personally, but it was an easy swap, just the output shaft. But this requires the box to be almost dismantled and reassembled.

The reason I say this is that I had a guy come over on sunday with his 92 Surf (1UZE - A343F, factory ECU & ECT) and was not a very nice vehicle to drive. It would change 1st/2nd/3rd within 50m (ie, just not hold a gear) and would not kick down when the foot was planted. Now without looking into it further, I would say the AUD$300 to get the A341E output changed and t'case bolt on, would it be worth trying to find the fault? I mean, if you have to change all those parts, why not just change the output shaft?

All this being said, this is assuming that you bought a half cut. BUT, you can pick one of these boxes up for the 200 mark anyway.

Mine runs like a dream, changes perfectly, kicks down not a drama as far as the driving side....now if I could just find a way to get rid of the crappy motor setup to engage 4WD i'll be laughing!

Webbie - I'm not familiar with this A343F trans. Was this stock in the 92 Surf with a diesel motor? when you say factory ECU & ECT, do you mean the 1UZ computers or the stock 92 Surf models?

Cebby,

Yeah, I think that the A343F is the stock g'box for that model diesel surf. There is a thread somewhere, but basically the same as yours (A340F), but the last number 3 indicates a ratio change.

He was using the fact ECU & ECT out of the Crown, so I dont know if that causes a problem.

I also have a problem and the people I ask with the auto (I only know of 2 others and they have not come across this cause they've not used LOW yet) is that when you are in low range. Since the ECT is looking for a speed signal for when to change gears, obviously, the speed is much lower and therefore need an obscene amount of revs to get correct speed to change gears.

What I mean is, in HIGH, lets say for example, 1st/2nd is a 40km/h. In LOW, 40km/h should almost be 2nd/3rd change. I know this can be rectified with a speed signal correction box, but this means that I need 2 (cos it's out in HIGH as well) and need to swap between the 2 when into LOW.

I would like to know what others have done?

It's not really a hi-jack, but sorry anyway.

Cheers.

My ecu does not seem to take much notice of the speedo speed sensor and seems to use the speed sensors on the auto to activate changes whichever range the transfer is in.

Ah, that would make sense, as I am only running the speed sensor on the t'case as the only speed sensor. Oh well, guess i'll be off to Jaycar for a second 'speedo correction box'.

Cheers.

Thanks guys,

For some reason the search function won't work on the office pc.

Ive now read most of your posts and they are most helpful.

One thing i have noticed is that you all seem to be having some sort of problem when running 4WD, are these major problems or just a pain in the butt?????

For me, pain-in-butt! Just trying to find the lasy way out of things is just as fun as doing it correctly, cos the path you have to take needs research and that's fun in itself.

Madmont, are you not going to Cruiser Park this weekend for 4WDMonthly meet?

Cheers.

I have never been to landcruiser park and am not planning to go this weekend. I don't read 4WD monthly.I dont have any problems running four wheel drive either. Years ago I used to have an RB30 bolted up to the A340h which was controlled by a Cressida ETC and because I did not give it all the correct information it used to change early through the gears.

Attachments

• aussie62_5.jpg
    aussie62_5.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
Is the 1UZ ECU looking for 1 or 2 speed sensors? As far as I can tell, the a341e I have had a sensor up front near the bellhousing and the a340f had a sensor on the tailhousing. I'm using gear drive t-cases, so I hopefully won't getting any funny business.