85 C10 1uz (a.k.a. Project WTF)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

johndoe

OK here it goes....

hi everyone,

my name is john and i wanted to show my little crazy project.

It all started 8 months ago when my tired old I6 in my Chevy pickup started to act up.

I have had this truck since the age of 17. (a gift from my dad) Its been babied and crashed, loved and abused. Its seen a lot and been thru a lot. This truck has cost me lest to maintain and alter in the last 7 years then any of my friends vehicles.

So i decided to breath new life into it, but i hate stock, so a different route was taken.

Here is how it all came to be...

Here is the truck last summer.
IMG_0024.jpg

Found a crashed Lexus SC400 for $600 and got it towed to my shop.
IMG_0372.jpg

The previous owner decided to roll it up a light pole a 130 km/h with 3 friends in the car.
IMG_0378.jpg

Happy to have a forklift, cause this vehicle was not a happy donor. It sat for 6 years under a tarp, most bolts underneath were rusted and the damage did not help.
IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

After a day of frustration the donor finally let go of its only non damaged part.
IMG_0416.jpg

Next the Lexus motor and tranny were separated.
IMG_0440.jpg

The same happened to the Chevy 250 and Th350.
IMG_0441.jpg

Measurements were taken and an adapter plate was cut.
IMG_0570.jpg

The part was cut on a watejet.
adapter.jpg

I machined up an adapter to allow both the stock flywheel of the uz for the starter, and the flywheel for the Th350 torque converter.
IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

And after a week they are one
IMG_0538.jpg

Wow, that's one S10 that doesn't know how to die, thanks to its owner!

What a nice swap; keep us updated on how things go.

Are you going to try to use the 1UZ EMS, or are you going aftermarket standalone?

I tore the engine half apart and replaced the spark plugs and timing belt. Cleaned the water pump and all the passages. I had to pull the bottom and mid pan off, during the accident the mid plate got cracked, and I needed to weld it.
IMG_0549.jpg

Wow, i didn't know they made straight sixes in those 80's model pickup's, i love straight 6's. Anyhow why did you chose the th350, don't really need overdrive?

The truck origenaly came with a 396 diesel, so it has upgraded brakes and a heavy duty cross member. Previous owner installed the straight six (was an obtion in early 80s) and restored it. The reason I went with the th350 is, well I had it. Using it, ment I could use the rear transmission mount to locate my swap, which in return ment I could use my stock driveshaft.
And all around win win situation.
Oh and the th350 also has a shift kit.

The truck origenaly came with a 396 diesel, so it has upgraded brakes and a heavy duty cross member. Previous owner installed the straight six (was an obtion in early 80s) and restored it. The reason I went with the th350 is, well I had it. Using it, ment I could use the rear transmission mount to locate my swap, which in return ment I could use my stock driveshaft.
And all around win win situation.
Oh and the th350 also has a shift kit.

Diesel in a half ton, there is another interesting tid bit. Only reason i mentioned the th350 is because i used to drive a vehicle (although a 1 ton with a 4.09) and i dreamed of overdrive every day. If you can take measurements and produce a trans adapter, i'd imagine it would be cake for you take measurements to shorten a driveshaft. Anyhow, why did you chose the 1uz over a vortech 350 or an ls based motor in a truck?

Oh shortening the driveshaft is not a problem, time more or less is.
It's hard to find a good axle shop around here that will do it quickly. Not sure about the gears, but the th350 has built internals with an agressive shift kit, it also used to be behind my 250. It just worked out so easily. I'll post pics tonight but the engine is in, and it fits like a glove.

My internet connection decided to, well not work last night so im posting the pictures this morning.

I powerwashed the engine bay, amazing what 24 years of grim looks like.

IMG_0551.jpg

After that the engine kind of fell into place.

IMG_0508.jpg

almost 18 inchs to the rad support

IMG_0509.jpg

I have to start taking more detailed pictures.

More pics will follow...

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• FMIC Manifold.jpg
    FMIC Manifold.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 376
Its been a while but im back. The project is taking huge steps forward im not finding enough time to update you guys.

I knew while i was positioning the motor it was going to be tight.

IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

But I did not expect this.
The engine has about a 1 inch clearence left and right (after cutting the heat shield tabs off) and about a 1.5 inch clearence to the firewall.

Next I went about fabricating a powersteering pump mount.

IMG_0720.jpg

and painted it

IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg

After that I modified a 5.0L mustang powersteering pump pulley to fit the unisteer pump.

IMG_0733.jpg

A new throttle cable and kick down cable had to be installed.
Vacuum lines where hooked up and the heater hoses where connected.
I also took out the all the emissions controls, and taped the fuel rails to except 3/8 npt fittings. Adding a Aeromotive pressure regulator.

IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0735.jpg

While connecting my return line i noticed that the inlet to the fuel tank had sheared off. The bed had to be removed, to allow easy access to the top of the gas tank.

IMG_0751.jpg IMG_0752.jpg

A simple cone air liter was mounted, using a custom stand the connected it to the MAF. Also a Aluminum rad was added with an electric fan.

IMG_0756.jpg

A custom p/s reservoir was made.
I welded in an fitting to the bottom., and a threaded filler cap on top.

IMG_0759.jpg IMG_0760.jpg

The container holds exactly one jug of oil.

IMG_0761.jpg

The whole contraction was then mounted on the inned fender.

IMG_0778.jpg

Continuing with the build...

I mounted the fuel pump and filter on the inner fender.

IMG_0766.jpg

Then using the the CAT Flange drawing kindly provided by this forum (THANK YOU) I made 2 downpipes. Yes I deleted the cats cause I'm not required to run them.

IMG_0776.jpg

Leave my truck unattended for 5 minutes and I have mini stacks when I come back.

IMG_0777.jpg

Final install

IMG_0775.jpg