3vze flywheel issues

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ae86addict

hi v8 pros !

im in the build on an 1uz ae86 and right now im at the point to fitting my w58 on the engine !!

i read a few project and post on this forum and most people use a 3vze flywheel so today i buy a 3vze flywheel and now i need to know how much milimeters i have to faced down the flywheel on the back to gets the starter engaged correctly !!?

thanks

Well the starter solenoid only pops out the gear so far. Grab some pliers, pull it out and see how it lines up with the flywheel.

I could be wrong, but I never read about anyone having to face the back side. Or perhaps some flywheels needed the flex plate spacer, or some didn't.

The 3vze flywheel as about 7/8" thick in the middle and around 7/16 of this tickness is just in the back around the bolt pattern !! The flywheel on the crank i have aound 3/8 clearance between the bottom of the block and the flywheel ! I want to reduce this clearance to 1/16 or 1/8 to get the starter pinion grab the ring gear ! I want to know if people have already done this !?

I dont understand the .1" from the ring gear ? Sorry im french and im not perfectly bilingual ..

In other words .. how much thickness did you remove on the back ?

Last edited:
depends on the brand. Luk already has the material on the outer profile machined down enough so you're not taking material off of where it's balanced. Otherwise you should, but do not neccesarily have to.

Yes my flywheel its a LUK !! Ok but you if you remove all the material behind the ring gear .. you remove the holes drilled for balancing right ? Did not affect anything ?

if your luk flywheel has been machined, and is not a raw casting on the area where the balance holes are then you do not machine that area. if it is raw castin then you will need to machine it off and rebalance the flywheel

i recently bought a 3vze flywheel and took it to my local machine shop to have the back taken out of it, they looked at me like i had three heads,they would not do it because it might fall apart, do you have a picture from the rear of the flywheel so i can show them it and say "look, this guy does it all the time,grow some nuts" it might also give them a better idea of what i want them to do, i think they may be slightly retarded, cheers.

Have them look at the photo on the website. if you click on it it will show up enlarged for a better view.

Now, some oddball 3vz flywheels are cast different and cannot be modified, you would literally be holding onto about 4mm of material and this may be the case.

And when the flywheel self destructs and removes your legs you can crawl into Court to sue them for doing the work!

No flywheel should have elongated mounting holes.

A new flywheel isn't a lot of money but it sure gives peace of mind.