1uzfe into 66 nova SS

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

66novaSS

I've been laughed off the Chevy forums - so I thought I'd give this one a shot. I'm considering putting a 1uzfe drivetrain from an SC400 into my 1966 Nova SS. I want something different, excellent reliability, and a good daily driver. I love old american cars, but need import reliability. My question is - will it fit without cutting my car up? Anyone ever seen a 1uzfe swapped for a SBC?

Thanks,
Bryan

I have to agree that there would be no fit problem with the 1UZ into a Nova. We have the 1UZ stuffed under the ood of my 83 Celica with some room to spare. You will need to choose the correct oil pan setup depending on where the cross member lies, but other than that, it is a fairly small engine as V8's go. From the deck surface down it is smaller than a SBC with both smaller bores and shorter deck. Above the deck the 32 valve twin cam heads are a bit bigger than SBC stuff, but not by alot. The intake is a little tall, but I would bet it is lower than the SBC TPI setup from the 80's and 90's.

Aside from it fitting though.... I can see all the Chevy guys screaming. An LS1 would be a natural in that car. And with the weight, a bit more cubic inches certainly would help get it rolling. If you are going for the high tech 32 valve thing, then also go with twin turbos or a nice Eaton blower to pump up the torque. 4.0L is ahuge step up from my 2.4L, but a big step down from 5.7L. Sure, it makes 250 HP dead stock, but the Chevy makes 300 lb ft of torque. With a 4.10 rear gear, it would work and not be dog slow, but it won't throw you in the seat either.

The old saying, there is no replacement for displacement is actually quite true. Using great flow and big cams can make the top end power, but using the same tricks on a bigger cube motor just makes even more top end power. My 2.4L with a turbo sure pulled much nicer than a 2.0L with a similar turbo even though it was a 16 valve and I only had 8. If the rules would allow it, I would run turbos on the 4.0L, but in SCCA Street Mod class I can't run any boost on a motor over 3.0L. I seriously looked into running a Camry 1MZFE 3.0L so I could run boost, but the California emissions laws makes the 4.0L an easier install.

Gary M.

just put it in sound of a kitten hang a super charger on the top or side it will make a easy 350hp and drive it every day no big cams jumping around sweet as and still get 30mpg

My first car I ever owned was an Orange Nova SS.... The power was good after I built the old 350 engine up...Headers, MSD, Holley and Edelbrock intakes and Carbs, etc.. You will defenetely get more reliability and daily driveability out of a smaller 1UZ-FE V8 engine. You will get much better gas mileage also but you will be giving up a few ponies that is for sure..

The LS1 would be the logical choice...As I have come to learn from my pal WDoherty the LS1 can generate 400hp NA very easily with a set of cams, headers/Exhaust...That is something the 1UZ-FE NA motor will never come close to seeing...If your lucky you will be able to squeeze close to 300hp if you go all out and that is it....AFI or nos will be needed to reach the 400hp that a LS1 will produce... If I had your 66 Nova I would defenetely drop the Ls1 in it...That is a heavy car and you need all the ponies you can get...Think it over