1UZFE into 300zx

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ivan129

BlownZX
Hi, I'm fitting a 1UZFE into a 300ZX, Z32. Has anyone done one of these. If so could you please contact me and tell me how you modified / setup your sump

If anyone has a mid / rear sump they want to swap for a front sump, bring it on.

Last edited:
nooooo
dont do it

i wired one up about 2 years ago
unless u want to spend major amounts of money
or do major amounts of fab work then do it

cant remember what sump they used but everything had to be modified majorly
wiring is a pain in the butt to work with where it goes the firewall

i really dont know why people like the 300zx
might look ok but one of the worst cars to ever work on
plus i think it migbht be too heavy for the good old 1uz

we recently sent an l98 6lt harness to perth for a conversion into a 300
guy is trying to sort out speedo which has cost him 400 bucks at the moment

1UZFE in a 300ZX Z32 is up and running on the road

Yep this was one majour pain in the arse conversion. But shes up and running.
Car is about 40kg lighter in the front and noticeably sits up on the suspension. Looks like I need a set of lowered springs for the front now.
Sump:- Started with a rear sump, milled the thing totally flat start from the front and worked all the way to the back. some custom made aluminium inserts bit of aluminium welding, made use of the standard steel pan but mounted front to back abra cadabra and one new sump. Oil pickup was lengthened 100mm. Not so hard really
Engine mounts:- modified 1UZ hangers used with quite a bit of custom ali work to bolt on LS1 rubber mounts.
Engine fits in realy neat into the engine bay, more room left around the engine that the old cast iron block v6. I made a set of custom 4 into 1's 1 5/8" primary pipes into 3" collectors with a grouping cone inside the collector. Pipes are HPC coated.
Engine is stock, mild port work on stock heads with 80lb springs. Everything inside the engine was polished, corners removed, radiused etc. 320cc injectors fitted, wolf V500, full sequential injection and ignition running toyota COP.
Auto was rebuilt with a very mild shift kit added. I designed my own tiptronic controller for the auto with a few smarts in the software to make work it shift and behave as an auto should but with manual control when I want to use it. Drives great. These things stick to the road like a go cart. It appears like there aren't too many V8 300ZX's in Melb
Challenges:- Yep the wiring was a pain in the butt, the air/con and power steering did give me greif and did take many weeks to sort out but thats half the fun of doing this short of conversion.

Last edited:
The 300ZX is a gorgeous car, IMO, and should be vastly improved now with an engine that goes as well as the rest of the car.

Let's see some pics!

the biggest pain with putting toyota motors into nissans is the price to get factory dash to work

to get all factory dash on the 300zx to work perfect with the 1uz it cost the customer
nearly the same amount as what to wire up the motor
was about 500 bucks in signal correction boxes for speedo and tachothen uneed to fit the 300zx oil and temp senders
but wiring would have been easiest part cause i have hand drawn diagrams of the body plugs on the 300zx
nissan wiring is much easier than toyota

I had no problems getting all my dash instruments to work. Aircon and all. Tacho & Speedo needed minor recalibration, dash instruments are driven from the original Nissan sensors screwd into the engine, CTS and EOP. CEL is driven from the ECU, V500. Guess I save 500 bucks.

the biggest pain with putting toyota motors into nissans is the price to get factory dash to work

to get all factory dash on the 300zx to work perfect with the 1uz it cost the customer
nearly the same amount as what to wire up the motor
was about 500 bucks in signal correction boxes for speedo and tachothen uneed to fit the 300zx oil and temp senders
but wiring would have been easiest part cause i have hand drawn diagrams of the body plugs on the 300zx
nissan wiring is much easier than toyota

Car is about 40kg lighter in the front and noticeably sits up on the suspension. Looks like I need a set of lowered springs for the front now.
Sump:- Started with a rear sump, milled the thing totally flat start from the front and worked all the way to the back. some custom made aluminium inserts bit of aluminium welding, made use of the standard steel pan but mounted front to back abra cadabra and one new sump. Oil pickup was lengthened 100mm. Not so hard really
Engine mounts:- modified 1UZ hangers used with quite a bit of custom ali work to bolt on LS1 rubber mounts.
Engine fits in realy neat into the engine bay, more room left around the engine that the old cast iron block v6. I made a set of custom 4 into 1's 1 5/8" primary pipes into 3" collectors with a grouping cone inside the collector. Pipes are HPC coated.
Engine is stock, mild port work on stock heads with 80lb springs. Everything inside the engine was polished, corners removed, radiused etc. 320cc injectors fitted, wolf V500, full sequential injection and ignition running toyota COP.
Auto was rebuilt with a very mild shift kit added. I designed my own tiptronic controller for the auto with a few smarts in the software to make work it shift and behave as an auto should but with manual control when I want to use it. Drives great. These things stick to the road like a go cart. It appears like there aren't too many V8 300ZX's in Melb
Challenges:- Yep the wiring was a pain in the butt, the air/con and power steering did give me greif and did take many weeks to sort out but thats half the fun of doing this short of conversion. Now I'm gonna drive it for a few months get rid of all the squeaks and rattles before chasing some a little more power. Many thanks to Robbie McQeen at Wolf EMS giving me a few pointers (lots of help) to help to get the thing running. Man this guy knows hes stuff. The Wolf V500 is one powerful ECU. :)

Picture added

Attachments

• DSCF0936.jpg
    DSCF0936.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 108
Very nice ride. That's a proper way to do a 300zx. I see one drive by me every day back and forth and I just kinda laugh cause that V6 is just working as hard as it can to move that car around. The 1UZ is the perfect answer. Good work.

nice to have a 300zx making all the right noises now. great GT car now with the right engine to match. Although the VG30 was a "good" engine...no emotion to it though.

Some current Pics

Attachments

• 300ZX under bonnet_5.jpg
    300ZX under bonnet_5.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 300ZX Interior_LHS.jpg
    300ZX Interior_LHS.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 300ZX RHS Exterior.jpg
    300ZX RHS Exterior.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 300ZX RHS Interior.jpg
    300ZX RHS Interior.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 19
Performance just had an upgrade.

What other mods aside form the supercharger are there?
Knife edged crank, full balance, H beam rods, arp2000 rod bolts, 8.5:1 Ross pistons (ex cribbj), block fully deburred inside and out to remove all casting flashes, heads ported (too many hours went into them) flow tested 3 times to get the best port shape and flow. Inch & 5/8 4 into 1 to 2 x 2.25" system. Std valves and combustion chambers. Kelford blower cams and springs. ARP head bolts. Bullet intake again spent hours porting it to make it fit right. M122 ported on intake side. Makes a shade over 1 bar. Hidden 150 shot nos system under manifold (never used), MSD Dis4 coils with msd cdi, msd 8.8mm spiral leads. Remote engine oil cooler, water meth, Auto A431, shift kit, remote cooler. Line lock but not needed. mt pockets. Fun to drive as a cruiser.

1UZFE in a 300ZX Z32 is up and running on the road

Challenges:- Yep the wiring was a pain in the butt, the air/con and power steering did give me greif and did take many weeks to sort out but thats half the fun of doing this short of conversion.
Can you be a little more specific on what you used to mount the engine?

Thanks for the info. One more question, did you have any problems with the transmission after a while? I'm assuming you uses the z32 transmission.