1UZ VVTI crank timing off

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

e1an

I've replaced the timing belt on a 1UZ VVTI, and struggling to understand why my timing marks aren't lining up. I've rotated the engine 720º (2 full rotations) to verify, and my crankshaft pulley is nowhere near 0 when the cams are both lined up. How do I fix this? This is an interference engine, so I want to make sure I get this right before attempting to start it.

Its possible you may have skipped a tooth on the crank.
When ever replacing a cam belt always set up the engine at TDC, No1 firing (No.1 Inlet & Exhaust valves are closed) .
Dismantle, and remove old belt. Lay the old belt over the new belt and verify the new belt has 3 timing marks in line with those from the old belt, new belt has the same number of teeth (from memory 209), pitch and width (34mm). The timing marks for the crank are on the crank gear and should line up with a dot on the front casting. Cams gears should line up with their respective cam timing marks. Once fitted do not turn the engine anti clockwise otherwise you can run the risk of skipping one or more cam teeth on the belt. Its important to have the tensioner fitted before rotating the engine. Then assemble and fit the harmonic balance. The timing marks should be a zero (TDC) and cams lined up with their respective timing marks. Always take pictures before you dismantle so you can look back after. Good luck.

Attachments

• Crank Pulley at TDC.jpg
    Crank Pulley at TDC.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 4
Its possible you may have skipped a tooth on the crank.
When ever replacing a cam belt always set up the engine at TDC, No1 firing (No.1 Inlet & Exhaust valves are closed) .
Dismantle, and remove old belt. Lay the old belt over the new belt and verify the new belt has 3 timing marks in line with those from the old belt, new belt has the same number of teeth (from memory 209), pitch and width (34mm). The timing marks for the crank are on the crank gear and should line up with a dot on the front casting. Cams gears should line up with their respective cam timing marks. Once fitted do not turn the engine anti clockwise otherwise you can run the risk of skipping one or more cam teeth on the belt. Its important to have the tensioner fitted before rotating the engine. Then assemble and fit the harmonic balance. The timing marks should be a zero (TDC) and cams lined up with their respective timing marks. Always take pictures before you dismantle so you can look back after. Good luck.
Thanks so much for the info. That’s what it looks like. Is it safe to turn the crank counter-clockwise with the belt off to get it back lined up since both cams are correct already?